Forward view mirrors

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I found a new product that I'm wondering if anyone here uses. They're called forward view mirrors. Basically, it's two smaller mirrors that mount to your mirror frame, providing a 'periscope' effect, allowing you to see around the truck in front of you. That way, you don't have to crane your neck, or get so close to the center line trying to see what the hold up is in traffic! Seems like a neat concept, just wondering if anyone's seen how it works in the real world!

http://www.nmoa.org/Products/fvm.htm

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's a cool concept and maybe we'll get to see it at MATS. Two potential issues that pop to mind are a driver getting confused about which mirror he's looking into when navigating truckstops late at night etc. and when driving into the sun the one mirror shining it into the rearview of the vehicle ahead. Well, I guess the 3rd is more stuff out there further reducing the peripheral visibility that's already blocked an awful lot by mirrors. And I guess 4th would be additional drag hurting mpg a little bit more.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I occasionlly pulled new stainless steel tankers from the manufacturer to the railhead for shipment. The first time I latched on to a tanker that was parked in a row of other identical stainless steel tankers. As I pulled out from the row and began turning to the right I looked in my right side mirror to see if I cleared the tanker next to me. What I saw scared the %&!# out of me and I slammed on the brakes. In my mirror I saw the tanker I was hooked to and the reflection of the tanker next to me with a reflection of the tanker I was hook to and on into infinity.

The restroom mirrors at the rest area on I-94 near Menomonie, Wisconsin are also setup to give a glimpse into infinity.

The Forward View Mirror could be a quaint device to view infinity or it could be a leak to a parallel universe. Trust me, I've been there. Twice! And just this past Monday night I entered a Portal in North Dakota and went through another Portal (North Portal) and ended up in Saskatchewan. Scary business. Please be careful.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Moot....Ya kill me!! Haha

I don't think I'd like that trip to Infinity, I confuse easily :p

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The trip to infinity is nothing. It's really just a glimpse into infinity. Going into a parallel universe is something completely different and unnerving. On two seperate occasions I entered an elevator and exited into a parallel universe. My only escape was to re-enter the elevator and return to the floor I started from. I...I..can't say much more. The memories are still too frightening. I am fortunate to have returned to this universe.

The portal thing at the North Dakota/Saskatchewan border wasn't really all that scary because it was sanctioned by both the U.S. and Canadian governments. Plus I had my FAST card. With all that on my side why worry? But just in case I wore my foil lined underwear and tied one end of a roll of dental floss to a light post in downtown Portal, ND.

Deville

Not a Member
>I occasionlly pulled new stainless steel tankers from the
>manufacturer to the railhead for shipment. The first time I
>latched on to a tanker that was parked in a row of other
>identical stainless steel tankers. As I pulled out from the
>row and began turning to the right I looked in my right side
>mirror to see if I cleared the tanker next to me. What I
>saw scared the %&!# out of me and I slammed on the brakes.
>In my mirror I saw the tanker I was hooked to and the
>reflection of the tanker next to me with a reflection of the
>tanker I was hook to and on into infinity.
>
>The restroom mirrors at the rest area on I-94 near
>Menomonie, Wisconsin are also setup to give a glimpse into
>infinity.
>
>The Forward View Mirror could be a quaint device to view
>infinity or it could be a leak to a parallel universe.
>Trust me, I've been there. Twice! And just this past
>Monday night I entered a Portal in North Dakota and went
>through another Portal (North Portal) and ended up in
>Saskatchewan. Scary business. Please be careful.

your really freaking me out

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>I found a new product that I'm wondering if anyone here
>uses. They're called forward view mirrors. Basically, it's
>two smaller mirrors that mount to your mirror frame,
>providing a 'periscope' effect, allowing you to see around
>the truck in front of you. That way, you don't have to
>crane your neck, or get so close to the center line trying
>to see what the hold up is in traffic! Seems like a neat
>concept, just wondering if anyone's seen how it works in the
>real world!

I am always interesting in trying out new products but I think this is one I will pass on.

In certain conditions the forward facing mirror will dirty up such that it essentially becomes unusable very quickly.

One can determine traffic ahead through curves in the road and by keeping their following distance such that the angles of view are increased over what the view is when tailgating.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
and by keeping their following distance such that the angles of view are increased over what the view is when tailgating.

My first thought when I saw the image was if this product does anything to encourage following closer rather than further back it's risks might well outweigh it's benefits.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
You might be right on the risks. I wasn't thinking of it as being used at speed.. I was thinking in the long lines in construction, where everyone sits nose to tail... and then that ONE GUY eases over the center line to look around the truck in front......

But, you're right, someone would probably be using it going down the road and be MORE distracted!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"Good will, like a good name, is achieved by many actions and lost by one."

Zig Ziglar