Ford's Attempt At Extended

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I finally had the opportunity to really look inside and outside of a Ford Extended Van.

Note: I didn't say Extended Wheelbase, because they don't extend the wheelbase! So how do they build an extended cargo box? Well, they simply add more van body behind the rear wheels.

The more I looked at this unusal set up I began to think about loading a 1500lb skid in the back of a Ford Extended Van. To get the weight properly balanced across the wheelbase you would have to push that skid in a very long way. As we all know, forklift drivers only want to set skids just inside the rear doors; partially due to the length of their forks. Even with my GM Extended Wheelbase I still have to coax them with a pusher board to move the skid's center point slightly ahead of the differential. It would very difficult, and time-consuming, to move it that far in a Ford Extended Van; not to mention the unloading process would also be more difficult and time-consuming.

Look at the wheelbase on a GM Extended Van. It is truly an Extended Wheelbase. GM lengthens it from 139" to 155". Look at how little overhand there is behnd the rear wheels of a GM Extended Wheelbase Van. They are much easier to properly load. And when the van is properly load, the ride is far superior!

I had been noticing Ford vans at night and I couldn't figure out why their headlight beams seemed to be angled up, but after looking closer at the poor design charateristic of their Extended Van...I now understand why the headlights are blinding me.

Hopefully, Ford will go back to the drawing board on this one.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They've been like this for a long time....I drove an Econoline in the golden age...and the old Dodges were made the same way....
In the Sprnters theres a switch that make the headlights go up and down to rectify that problem of blinding you.

I've wondered at times if one put a 2,000 lb skid say 2 feet x 2 feet smack in the middle of an extended chevy and hit a bump the wrong way would ya stress the frame in any way?

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Its the same reason that some want to ban their 15 passenger (extended) vans, as they frequently get overloaded and become unsafe. Last year there was a crash of one loaded with farm workers - its bad to start but these farm ones often get a wooden bench behind the last row and get loaded with 18-20 instead of 15, the van lost control, ejecting a number of the unbelted causing several deaths.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ford is trying to get ready to bring in the transit and they don't/can't spend a lot of money on the Econoline series.

The other day, I went by the glass house and out in the parking lot there were a few transits, all different shapes and sizes. I was going there to ask if and when they were releasing them for a possible long term consumer testing but I didn't get a straight answer.

I should have brought my camera with me but as I was passing by the place later, I got the picture below. Looks like a sprinter maybe?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i saw in the paper last week that ford intro'ed a taxi version transit at the ny intl auto show. trying to get the mileage up from the 12mpg crown vics to something nearer 20 in the transit.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you read the description..it says for light and medium duty...

they all look like sprinters: New Ford Transit - The Best New and Used Ford Transit and Transit Connect Van Deals in the UK!

OVM,
What's your point?

Ford has been trying to figure out how to compete with the sprinter in the US market, I am told they recognize the need to streamline their US operations with the rest of the world at the same time looking at the future for the van market in the US. I driven a few Transits, some were rated at 12K, which puts it into direct competition with the sprinter. I like it better than the sprinter but Ford has been so far behind in the progress to bring it here that they missed the real opportunity.

I maybe wrong on this but I think that they will retain the e350 and 450 cutaway models, get rid of the base line models (150 and 250) a year or so after they introduce the transit. Even though they sell a lot of E series vans, they export the cutaways which makes up a lot of their sales to begin with.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I don't think the transit has anything to do with their fixing or not fixing a poor design - those things have been around for decades.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've wondered at times if one put a 2,000 lb skid say 2 feet x 2 feet smack in the middle of an extended chevy and hit a bump the wrong way would ya stress the frame in any way?

I doubt it! That's a real full length steel ladder frame not a Unibody.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I doubt it! That's a real full length steel ladder frame not a Unibody.

Thanks MOOT....at least someone was paying attention....

Ford will prolly have a pricing problem with theses transits....since Ford is always more expensive then Dodge on comparative models....they are prolly looking at 50-55,000 dollars or more....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ford will prolly have a pricing problem with theses transits....since Ford is always more expensive then Dodge on comparative models....they are prolly looking at 50-55,000 dollars or more....

Don't know, it is interesting that the pricing target I heard was a lot less than that but they also said that for other things. I remember when I priced a ford, out the door pricing was a lot less than the equal dodge - before they brought in the sprinter.

blackwood666

Seasoned Expediter
I will have one in my yard when they arrive, I sold my sprinter 2007 and returned to a E-350 financially a better option, unless you got lots of money the difference in fuel vs. diesel financially made no sense I get 16 mpg vs. 20 loaded and the price difference is minimal my bottom line returned, but the new Ford is a few years off I suspose the Transits are considered the Best Van in Europe and Ford is tops in the US.
I want one just because they will offer great looks and by the time they arrive I hear 2 years I will have more of a downpayment ready, I didnt with the Sprinter 5000.00 down did nothing to the payment, but when the Ford arrives I will have my van plus 10k ready so the Transit will be in my future!
Ford E-Series hopefully won't die , the Sprinter is not setting the world on fire for Dodge and with Toyota and a Isuzu Cargo Van coming the Sprinter may become what it is too expensive!
Isuzu Vans (look-a-like) Sprinters will sell for 30k with a diesel
and the Toyota will be in 2010 around 30k so the 40K or 50 K Fords and Sprinters will come down.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I figure it this way, I can't afford a sprinter unless it is a poor repo or a rebuildable. I been looking, and thought about a box sprinter. I found two project vans that would fit my needs, one was a wreck - the back end took serious forklift damage and it would need a shell but they marked it as scrap - prices was too high for the age, 2004 and $12k. The other was a 2005 with 290k, a blown engine and from what the guy describe it as a bad trans - the owner is asking $16k for it. I could see $6k for it because I would end up dumping $3k into the engine and another $1200 into the trans, not counting the hours setting it up for the work.

So I have been patiently waiting for the transit, with my ford discount I could walk out of a dealer with a new one under $35k if they stick to their pricing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whatever....You can pretty well forget about Transit being built here...wonder if they'll do what Dodge does...or just expand the plant over there or set-up a new plant in Mexico?
Sprinter, Transit basically same thing...I can't see Ford coming in at under 45k.

Also I think Dodge should offer up the 5 cyl. engine as an optional....the 5 is just as good if not better then the 6....and they lost the fuel mile advantage....

Last edited:

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Yeah never liked the old dodge and the ford idea for extended body vans. That's why I used to buy the gm as the wheelbase was longer. Made for a bigger turning circle but much better ride and load distribution. Same for the sprinter as they also extend the wheelbase. Works rather well.

Re engines in the sprinter. In europe they offer at least 3 different versions of the 2.7 I5 diesel and of course a standard transmission as well. They sell few auto tranny units in most of europe. Similar for ford as well several engine options and tranny options. Here you'll probably see similar to the sprinter idea of one engine and trans offer. What bugs me is go to a dealer for some part and they ask what engine do I have... gee guys I got the same one as every sprinter sitting on your lot...duh (back in 2005/6). The dodoge dealers do have a problem though finding the correct brake rotors for my sprinter. Even though there were only supposed to be 3 available (2500 short wb, 2500 longer wb and the 3500) but somehow there are more. go figure.
Rob