Ford Transit Van Photos

upsnate

Seasoned Expediter
I was doing my route here in the Minneapolis area and came across the Ford Transit Van sitting at a dealership. It is a test vehicle for the larger dealers to get used to and present to clients. i was shocked to see this as i thought they weren't coming until later next year. It is a roomy vehicle. The rear area is almost identical to the Sprinter except for a forward overhead storage area above the drivers head (had to duck alittle to get to drivers seat).

The dash and steering wheel have the same feel of the smaller Transits. This is a dually version and the measurements between the wheel well were about 36-36 inches (had to use leathermen ruler) so I don't beleive a pallet would fit.

There is a nice driver info set up in the dash that relays all kinds of info (like sprinter).

The speedo and all other info were still in metric.

All in all....I really liked this thing except for the fact that the steering column DID NOT tilt. Booo!

Attachments

• transit far.jpg
    transit far.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 218
  • transit dash.jpg
    transit dash.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 193
  • transit forward.jpg
    transit forward.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 191
  • transit rearwrd.jpg
    transit rearwrd.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 187
  • transit exterior.jpg
    transit exterior.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 178

guido4475

Not a Member
Did you notice if this was a gas or diesel? I noticed this one was a stick shift.I wonder what is the total inside length? It would be nice for them to have a van as long and tall as the sprinter.Overall, it looks good.I wonder what the empty weight is?

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, does look interesting, but if the actual width between wheel wells in production models is only 36" it's going to kill a lot of interest from freight haulers.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If that's the dually he measured it may be less than 48" but there's no way the SRW will be.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That looks so much like a Sprinter it's funny.

It looks a bit dated. I think that's a current generation brought over from Europe that they've been testing (would explain the metric gauges, and the manual trans), not the new '13. Just a guess.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If Ford is trying to copy the Sprinter, why didn't they just copy the inner dimensions, it isn't rocket science. Ok, Ford engineering department listen up. Go to the nearest Homedepot and get a 25 foot tape in the tool department and find someone to show you how to USE THE DAZM THING. My ach'n bottom. HMJ.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If Ford is trying to copy the Sprinter, why didn't they just copy the inner dimensions, it isn't rocket science. Ok, Ford engineering department listen up. Go to the nearest Homedepot and get a 25 foot tape in the tool department and find someone to show you how to USE THE DAZM THING. My ach'n bottom. HMJ.

skyraider,don't mean to be a smart ..., but do you think the engineeers will listen to anything the public has to say? They are like the government, "here it is, take it or leave it".

Then they will whine about their profits being down.
They don't know how to use a tape measure.If it isn't computer generated they can't do a da. thing.Excuse the remark but thats how they are in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
skyraider,don't mean to be a smart ..., but do you think the engineeers will listen to anything the public has to say? They are like the government, "here it is, take it or leave it".

Then they will whine about their profits being down.
They don't know how to use a tape measure.If it isn't computer generated they can't do a da. thing.Excuse the remark but thats how they are in my book.

There will be advance training on which end of the hammer to hold while nailing,lol.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's located at Boyer Ford (612) 378-6000.

Thanks Lawrence! I gotta go right by there on Wednesday so I will stop in and check it out. I'm with Scott on his thinking this unit came over from Europe, but I will still look into it.

My brother-in-law sells for a large Ford dealership in northern Minnesota and I know more about the new Transit than he does. I recommended he keep current on the Transit by visiting E.O. daily.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Manufacturers keep the sales force in the dark so they'll concentrate on current inventory. A very backwards industry.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
hope there is some type of moulding for the back wheel well.....as is, is pretty ugly...a real big gap...