Ford Transit adds 1100 jobs

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stop that! The last Mercedes dealer I had the misfortune of stopping in for emergency service (split resonator) charged $160 per hour for Sprinters, a one hour minimum, but had a goofy waiter guy walking around serving latte's to the trapped and condemned. My best Dodge Sprinter man back home gets $90 an hour and he gets it done in half the time! Avoid Mercedes & Freightliner service at all costs!!!

That is 1 reason I won't get a new Sprinter....

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lets take a closer look at this.

1) 1100 jobs. 90% of theese jobs are likely in forgin countries, and those NEW U.S. jobs are nothing more than transplants made into eye candy for the sheeple. mad2.gif

2) Parts, parts? Anyone, anyone? Oh yeah that two dollar grommet we will have to import that will jack tha price to a couple hundred bucks. As for service? Dealer only. mad2.gif

3) Aftermarket parts available immediately? Yeah right OEMs have a five year exclusive production on parts.

4) Ford has always been the step brother to Dodge but WTF could they at least design anything a van that looks good this thing is just plain fugly.

I wasnt happy about the government take over and bailout of GM but at least so far you can afford to be married to an Express van and it wont blend into the van parking area.

Heres a tip for Ford. Shread the Sprinter plans and build the Econoline we know and has a good reputation.

Bob Wolf.

Attachments

• roflmao.gif
    roflmao.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure about added jobs what's happening to the people who build the econline?

Bob I do have to say in this case the new dodge is the redheaded step child in the looks dept when compared to the ford.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bob, if you read the article you'll see the jobs are at the K.C. plant, not foreign. If they'd widen the Econoline a foot and make it two feet taller then it would be a long van on a way too short wheelbase just like it is now but at least it would be tall enough and wide enough. If they increased the wheelbase 2-3 feet on the long version they'd be getting closer. Then they'd have an Econoline for modern times and suitable for what we do. They might want to rename it to something current as well. Either way, the 900 new jobs for the F150 and the 1100 new Transit jobs are all American jobs.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just looked at the ford web site and it says Summer 2014 for the van what a change from fall of 2013.

Must be other problems then parts. Just maybe its the eco boost engines their having a problem with.

Oh well I guess I'll be buying another sprinter next year. Won't be getting a Ford like I thought.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stop that! The last Mercedes dealer I had the misfortune of stopping in for emergency service (split resonator) charged $160 per hour for Sprinters, a one hour minimum, but had a goofy waiter guy walking around serving latte's to the trapped and condemned. My best Dodge Sprinter man back home gets $90 an hour and he gets it done in half the time! Avoid Mercedes & Freightliner service at all costs!!!

My resonator went out on my sprinter all I did was buy the part and replace it myself. Now I have a 2005 and only needed a screwdriver to replace the part. What I'll be doing soon is buying one of those resonator eliminators and will never have the problem of the plastic part ever breaking again.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For those who can't wait until the summer of 2014, at the earliest, you can go here to build a Transit just right for you. The New 2014 Ford Transit Commercial Van | Innovation In Design & Engineering | Ford.com

The specs are very limited. It appears the long and tall SRW will come with a 9,000 or 9,500 lbs. GVWR. I don't understand why they offer two GVWR that are only 500 lbs. in difference. Too bad Ford can't get it closer to 10,000 lbs. No mention of curb weight though.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's more informative and interesting than what they've had before. If the floor space is wide enough in the DRW version to get the 9950 GVW that would be the best GVW of course.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the floor space is wide enough in the DRW version to get the 9950 GVW that would be the best GVW of course.
The Transit body probably won't be wide enough to accommodate dual rear wheels so that will mean wider wheel boxes and less than 48" clearance.

With a 9950 GVWR and factoring in almost 200 pounds for two extra tires and the larger rims, the Transit DRW will only gain the driver about 250 pounds of extra capacity over the 9950 GVWR SRW version. I don't believe that extra capacity is worth the hit one would take on fuel and tire costs.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The Transit body probably won't be wide enough to accommodate dual rear wheels so that will mean wider wheel boxes and less than 48" clearance.

With a 9950 GVWR and factoring in almost 200 pounds for two extra tires and the larger rims, the Transit DRW will only gain the driver about 250 pounds of extra capacity over the 9950 GVWR SRW version. I don't believe that extra capacity is worth the hit one would take on fuel and tire costs.

The DRW is a waste. No value at all.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ford reiterated the details for the North American-spec model that have been previously announced, such as the availability of the 3.5 EcoBoost V-6 along with a diesel option of some sort. A 2.2-liter diesel I-4 was announced for European-market models but was conspicuously not singled out for the North American model. A leading candidate to be the diesel offering for the U.S. is Ford's 3.2-liter Duratorq turbodiesel I-5 that’s offered in the global T6 Ranger and produces around 200 hp and 347 lb-ft of torque.
The European and global Transit will continue the tradition of being offered in front, rear or all-wheel drive but the U.S. model will be rear-drive only. Three roof heights and three wheelbase lengths will be offered on the bus/van configurations and five wheelbases plus a double-cab option on the cab/chassis model. Vehicle weight ratings from 5600 to 10,400 will be offered and the rear-drive North American model will probably fall on the heavier-duty end of that spectrum.

To meet worldwide demand for the Transit, three factories will produce the van for regional markets. All U.S. models will be built in Kansas City, Missouri while the rest of the world will get their Transits from Southampton, England and Koaceli, Turkey..

Source: Ford