Ford Transit adds 1100 jobs

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
American humor! Its not metric!

Seriously, you are just being argumentative as well. In ALL HONESTY, what manufacturer, including your idol, could guarantee fast parts availability on every single part, in the first year of manufacture???? Do you have any proof whatsoever that any manufacturer would perform much better than others???? Your idol will do no better, and will charge 5X as much to boot! On the other hand, if Ford charged 5X as much as they should for repair parts, they COULD afford to fly parts from Stuttgart, or Turkey, or Timbuktu for that matter. Its just (American) math instead of German ciphering....

Just like my ex-wife. :confused:

I guess I am being argumentative ... This Ford is only being assembled here.... Looks like most parts are of foreign origin. You really think every dealer will have a water pump made in Eygpt when a faulty one breaks prematurely? Iam thinking not.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But most parts will be the same as the pickup truck engines. They've been around for years. Besides body parts I bet everything is already available from any parts supplier. NAPA, AutoZone, O' Reilly and others. It's only a new body, not a new drive train.

When the new Sprinters come out with their new engine next year, that's going to be a parts problem!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But most parts will be the same as the pickup truck engines. They've been around for years. Besides body parts I bet everything is already available from any parts supplier. NAPA, AutoZone, O' Reilly and others. It's only a new body, not a new drive train.

When the new Sprinters come out with their new engine next year, that's going to be a parts problem!

You are assuming they will make the same mistake ... And your drive train might be old but your suspension is not...
And quite frankly I don't really care about Ford or Sprinters.... lol.... I am just badgering Ole Westy there....poke poke

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are assuming they will make the same mistake ... And your drive train might be old but your suspension is not...
And quite frankly I don't really care about Ford or Sprinters.... lol.... I am just badgering Ole Westy there....poke poke

They will lol.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In all honesty if one out of ten ford dealers had parts in stock that would be more than every sprinter dealer stocking them.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Probably..LOL..but Ford won't apparently...they are perfect...just ask Westy...:p

No. Ford just isn't any worse that any other. I love my Sprinter too but we all know Mercedes really screwed us over the service issues... leaving well-known parts quality deficiencies unresolved, seemingly to charge fantastic part & labor charges, apparently to prop up their dealer's profits = purposely screw owners on repairs. WORD!

I do not expect Ford will be so unethical with their van owners.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I guess I am being argumentative ... This Ford is only being assembled here.... Looks like most parts are of foreign origin. You really think every dealer will have a water pump made in Eygpt when a faulty one breaks prematurely? Iam thinking not.

The Egyptian water pump, along with the Turkish drag link, will be at the parts dist center in Novi, Mi or Atlanta,Ga, or wherever Ford/Ups decides.

I would bet good money parts will be much easier than $printer parts.

Would also bet, if initial quality is good, that in 3 years Ford will outsell the $printer 3-1.

Brand familiarity.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Egyptian water pump, along with the Turkish drag link, will be at the parts dist center in Novi, Mi or Atlanta,Ga, or wherever Ford/Ups decides.

I would bet good money parts will be much easier than $printer parts.

Would also bet, if initial quality is good, that in 3 years Ford will outsell the $printer 3-1.

Brand familiarity.

But we don't have a problem with parts anymore...that is the whole laughable thing about all this bantering....yes most are overnighted in...I imagine Ford dealers do the same thing...This whole thing about parts started many years ago....like the 2007 model and the 2010 models BOTH of which were major design overhauls...the "shortage" stories to this day keep "growing"....

also I have no doubt Ford will over take Mercedes....in the US....

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most dealers I've been to only stock certain parts IF they sell at least 2 of them in a 30 day window...so I guess Ford will stock most parts....:p

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Most dealers I've been to only stock certain parts IF they sell at least 2 of them in a 30 day window...so I guess Ford will stock most parts....:p

That's funny.

Hopefully, all the parts needed in a typical five year ownership will cost about the same as the first part a $printer owner buys.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
That's funny.

Hopefully, all the parts needed in a typical five year ownership will cost about the same as the first part a $printer owner buys.

What's the face we can insert when something is so painfully true that I fell off my chair and hit my funny bone???

LMAO!!!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is true parts for new American vehicles are much higher priced than in the past. What does help is the speed at which the after market starts producing parts. OEM parts through the dealer will not be that much cheaper in my opinion.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's funny.

with the Ford you'll buy the same part many times to offset the price....*L*

and really?? Really? there is the American problem right there...actually comparing a Ford to a Mercedes...that is crazy right there....

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I think I'll just get a fibre/turtle top and extended doors. At least for now. It's more of a $4,500 vs. $45,000 issue for me. It's unreal what revenue CAN be generated with an extended Express. Not like Sprinter, per all miles, but about 1/3 of what I haul was posted and pays "Sprinter rates". I love the "acceptable minimum rate" for these "Sprinter loads". Soooo many brokers seem to post anything over 2-2.5K pounds as a Sprinter.

That's the first time I've seen something like that posted and thats great info. I've been saying all along that their pushing the regular c/van out and wanting Sprinter types. You can see it in the rates and that's the easiest way to do it. Good info.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
But we don't have a problem with parts anymore...that is the whole laughable thing about all this bantering....yes most are overnighted in...I imagine Ford dealers do the same thing...This whole thing about parts started many years ago....like the 2007 model and the 2010 models BOTH of which were major design overhauls...the "shortage" stories to this day keep "growing"....

also I have no doubt Ford will over take Mercedes....in the US....

I don't have a problem with parts availability for Sprinters, it's the cost of labor and parts thats the problem. I don't think I'll be buying a Ford product anytime soon but at least they are giving Sprinter a run for their money. Competition is a good thing. To bad GM can't get on board. :cool:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have a problem with parts availability for Sprinters, it's the cost of labor and parts thats the problem. I don't think I'll be buying a Ford product anytime soon but at least they are giving Sprinter a run for their money. Competition is a good thing. To bad GM can't get on board. :cool:
the labor should be the same as any other dealer...pretty much...depending on what location the need is.....my dealer is like 2$ an hour more for the tech. then a regular car/truck. After warranty don't need a Mercedes or FL dealer for most of the work is straight up mech. stuff.

I hope all these delays means Ford will get it right instead of hurrying it up just for the sales.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
the labor should be the same as any other dealer...pretty much...depending on what location the need is..

Stop that! The last Mercedes dealer I had the misfortune of stopping in for emergency service (split resonator) charged $160 per hour for Sprinters, a one hour minimum, but had a goofy waiter guy walking around serving latte's to the trapped and condemned. My best Dodge Sprinter man back home gets $90 an hour and he gets it done in half the time! Avoid Mercedes & Freightliner service at all costs!!!