Ford E250 Super Duty enough truck for the job?

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
I was wondering what your all's recommendations are for cargo vans. I'm looking at a 2007 E250 Super Duty right now. Being the Super Duty model it's rated to haul just under 2 tons. I would like to find an extended van but I'm just not having any luck finding one in good shape. Anyone else out there running non extended vans and how's that working out for you?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Always look at the sticker on the door. See what the GVW or GVRW is.

So rating at 2 tons means nothing, I'm rated at 16 but ...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't remember for sure but i think that van is rated at 9200 gvw...it would probably scale at around 5600 lbs curb weight depending on which engine is in it. That would leave 3600 lbs for payload. Now take out you, your personal belongings , e track, flooring , straps and crap....you are probably around 2100-2500 lbs for cargo......and those numbers aren't for sure but close...and if the GVW is 8600 (it might be because of the short body) thats 600 lbs less for cargo....

Always get the biggest gvw and length you can.....

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
I'm looking at the stats right now:

Gross Vehicle Wt rating= 8900

Curb weight= 5276

It's the 4.6 engine and 44Q transmission

Wheelbase is 138 in.

cargo area length @ floor to seat one is 121.4

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
So the 8900 gvw minus the 5300 (rounded up) leave 3600 for cargo payload minus 1000-1500 for you and the other "stuff", leave 2100 to 2600 lbs for cargo....And extended Chevy/GMC 1 ton CV is 9660 GVW, scales at 5600 lbs and with my stuff scales at 6750....thats 2950 for cargo...i get 3000 -3200 lb loads on a regular basis....i would even try that in a 3/4 ton van....

People run the short WB 3/4 ton units all the time, but if i didn't already have one and was in a posotion to buy a van, i wouldn't buy one...you are limiting your chance for larger freight...buy the biggest gvw and longest wb unit you can....they are out there...maybe not in your area, but do a search online....we flew to St louis to pickup a van from a dealer there, and we are in toledo ohio.....

Last edited:

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
I've got the 2008 E250 superduty, and I have hauled 2975 lbs without any trouble. The only mods that I've made are 1500 lb helper springs on the back. I get 16.5 to almost 18 mpg. 38,00 miles and no problem yet.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So the 8900 gvw minus the 5300 (rounded up) leave 3600 for cargo payload minus 1000-1500 for you and the other "stuff", leave 2100 to 2600 lbs for cargo....And extended Chevy/GMC 1 ton CV is 9660 GVW, scales at 5600 lbs and with my stuff scales at 6750....thats 2950 for cargo...i get 3000 -3200 lb loads on a regular basis....i would even try that in a 3/4 ton van....

People run the short WB 3/4 ton units all the time, but if i didn't already have one and was in a posotion to buy a van, i wouldn't buy one...you are limiting your chance for larger freight...buy the biggest gvw and longest wb unit you can....they are out there...maybe not in your area, but do a search online....we flew to St louis to pickup a van from a dealer there, and we are in toledo ohio.....

You just admitted in front of the whole EO world you run illegal over weight loads and not one person slammed you...*LOL* I am shocked...

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
You just admitted in front of the whole EO world you run illegal over weight loads and not one person slammed you...*LOL* I am shocked...

Haha. Too funny. That is an estimated weight though. It would be interesting to find his actual weight without freight. Run that puppy across the scale with a loaded tank and let's see.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OVM wrote:

opps....:D

Jefferson wrote:

Haha. Too funny. That is an estimated weight though. It would be interesting to find his actual weight without freight. Run that puppy across the scale with a loaded tank and let's see.

I've got one, but you ain't see'n it.....:D

Last edited:

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for all the input guys! I came across a deal today that I couldn't pass up. It's virtually the same van as I mentioned earlier but it's a 2005. I got it at a steal, over 4k less than the 2007 and 109k miles so I'll run it for awhile till I can save up for an extended or one of the modified high roof Chevy's. It'll be good for me to tough it out for awhile out here while I make sure this lifestyle is for me.

guido4475

Not a Member
I was wondering what your all's recommendations are for cargo vans. I'm looking at a 2007 E250 Super Duty right now. Being the Super Duty model it's rated to haul just under 2 tons. I would like to find an extended van but I'm just not having any luck finding one in good shape. Anyone else out there running non extended vans and how's that working out for you?

You asked this question before, and it was answered this same way.Why would you buy a short wheelbase 250 to begin with? Why limit yourself? A 4.6 engine? Why? Another member on here had one and did not have good luck with it at all.Get a extended e-350 and be done with it.Don't waste youre money on anything else, unless you are going to buy a Sprinter.And, no, a 250 is not rated to haul 4,000#, or 2 tons.Most of our loads are under 1,000# to begin with.Don't expect a boy to do a man's job.