Ford E250 4x4 to Sprinter? should I? lots of Q's

katoom400

Seasoned Expediter
New to this forum and sprinter vans,

I currently own a Quigley ford 4x4 van that I use for hauling dirt bikes to races and sleeping in. I'm thinking about selling it for a Sprinter for the following reasons,

A van I can stand up inside would be a huge plus for loading the bikes, also lower for loading bikes/dogs
~25 mpg compared to ~12
nicer drive compared to stiff 4x4 van, my wife also uses it for hauling kayaks

The trade off would be giving up 4WD which I only use for driving in the snow.

I've read many negative things about rust and service, and I've also read about many positive experiences

although my use is primarlily dirt bikes, I think I would go for a passenger model to get the windows and seating for the kids, also rear heat/ac sounds like a nice option.

Right now I've now got a line on an 03 140 high roof with rear ac/heat and all the seating. I can get it for about 20k and it's only got 20,000 miles. I'm going to need to float a loan until I sell my Ford, so does anyone know where to get a decent quick loan on a sprinter? in the past I have used chase and capital one auto finance but niether one will do a sprinter since they consider it a "commercial vehicle".

also what should I look out for on the 03?

I know it has 15" wheels which limits my tire choices, especially if I want to mount snow tires.....how much trouble is it to upgrade to 16" wheels?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2965_6_1.JPG
    IMG_2965_6_1.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 22
  • sprinter.jpg
    sprinter.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 11

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
I owned a 03 140" High top for expediting and personal use. It was fine for hauling what I needed but with Sprinters when you drive van at an angle over a decline like a curb van will not flex and unless going fast enough you will just sit and spin your tires. Not worth a crap in snow but traction control helps some while driving but not much else.

MPG is good and comfort is good but off road hauling bikes I would think not good unless smooth road.

I own a 96 E150 Ford Conversion now and was out in a pasture today at an auction and it had rained 3 inches and still raining. Mud was sloppy and 6" deep and uphill and van drove out with no trouble and 4x4s were having trouble. My Sprinter would not of even had a chance.

I would get a high top Chevy 3500 or Ford diesal which gets 20 plus mpg before I spent money on Sprinter. Also Sprinters need alot of preventive care otherwise you will spend tons of money on repairs.

Reactions: 1 person

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
You really can't have a dual purpose vehicle like that . A 4x4 uses too much fuel for expedite running . You really need a separate vehicle for each purpose . Stay away from Ford diesels . The 7.3 were good but they all have a lot of miles on them now . You can only get the trouble plagued 6.0 in a Ford E-series . The 6.4 is not available . The Chevy Duramax is a good engine . I'll never buy any Daimler product after they moved so much production to Mexico .They don't care about American workers or American economy .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You really can't have a dual purpose vehicle like that . A 4x4 uses too much fuel for expedite running . You really need a separate vehicle for each purpose . Stay away from Ford diesels . The 7.3 were good but they all have a lot of miles on them now . You can only get the trouble plagued 6.0 in a Ford E-series . The 6.4 is not available . The Chevy Duramax is a good engine . I'll never buy any Daimler product after they moved so much production to Mexico .They don't care about American workers or American economy .

Why would they care? Daimler isn't an American company anymore....german and whatever fiat is...Daimler is just another foriegn company that does business in the US....

And Ford and GM care? *LOL* Pleeeze...you joke..:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I owned a 03 140" High top for expediting and personal use. It was fine for hauling what I needed but with Sprinters when you drive van at an angle over a decline like a curb van will not flex and unless going fast enough you will just sit and spin your tires. Not worth a crap in snow but traction control helps some while driving but not much else.

MPG is good and comfort is good but off road hauling bikes I would think not good unless smooth road.

I own a 96 E150 Ford Conversion now and was out in a pasture today at an auction and it had rained 3 inches and still raining. Mud was sloppy and 6" deep and uphill and van drove out with no trouble and 4x4s were having trouble. My Sprinter would not of even had a chance.

I would get a high top Chevy 3500 or Ford diesal which gets 20 plus mpg before I spent money on Sprinter. Also Sprinters need alot of preventive care otherwise you will spend tons of money on repairs.

Good advice...

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Why would they care? Daimler isn't an American company anymore....german and whatever fiat is...Daimler is just another foriegn company that does business in the US....

Whether they care or not .."4. The Chevrolet Express and its twin, the GMC Savana, are big vans with a big 82 percent domestic content. "
Wunder Blog : Weather Underground
Domestic content of Sprinters ? Charleston Regional Business Journal | Charleston, SC

katoom400

Seasoned Expediter

I should add that I'm not an expeditor, just came here to get some opinions from the experts that run these trucks every day. I would be using it for my daily driver.

I was thinking that with snow tires it could be "decent" in the snow, but with 15" wheels I don't think I would be able to find any.

I'm also going to look at an 03 cargo today that has 185k on it, but I think I could get it for 7k.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should add that I'm not an expeditor, just came here to get some opinions from the experts that run these trucks every day. I would be using it for my daily driver.

I was thinking that with snow tires it could be "decent" in the snow, but with 15" wheels I don't think I would be able to find any.

I'm also going to look at an 03 cargo today that has 185k on it, but I think I could get it for 7k.

The sprinter is not good in mud or deep snow...

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
The Sprinter does have a 4x4 version but it is not imported to north america as yet. Note that many euro 4x4 vehicles are not really meant for offroading but non paved roads or mountain driving.

Winter tires checkout Blizzak, Toyo and Nokian. They all make a snow for the 16" rims and should have a 15" from at least one or two of them in the load rating you need.
Rob

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
One thing to consider is the Sprinter has unibody construction
While your van is body on frame
Another thing I have heard on here is it is not good to buy a used Sprinter. They are pretty fickel, if you take care of it it will take care of you but if it has been abused or not properly maintained then they can be pretty undependable and expesive to fix

Last edited:

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

O.K. , having a better understanding on the situation .... You'll have a tough time selling the Ford . Have you checked the cost of having windows and seats installed in the Ford ?

katoom400

Seasoned Expediter
O.K. , having a better understanding on the situation .... You'll have a tough time selling the Ford . Have you checked the cost of having windows and seats installed in the Ford ?

I actually have windows and seats in the ford and it's a pretty good truck. but as an every day driver it is a little rough in the ride and not relaxing. fuel mileage is only ~13mpg.

that said...it's a fine race rig and snow driver.

Please keep the comments coming. I really appreciate all the advice

Attachments

• IMG_2961_2_1.jpg
    IMG_2961_2_1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 12
  • user3_pic264_1241488199.jpg
    user3_pic264_1241488199.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Daimler has always been a German company, the chyrsler people always thought that they were the one's taking Daimler over until they got laid off.

Fiat is an Italian company, which has a rich history of falling into an Italian form of Bankruptcy with marinara sauce.

Now Chrysler is really a foreign car company again. It was under Daimler too - and we mustn't forget that.

GM doesn't care, they are going to get away with what they can.

Ford will be moving more off shore... but...

guido4475

Not a Member
I hate to admit this, but the pictures of the Ford van gave me a ......well, you know! Awesome van. Just out of curiosity, how much for the Ford van? gas or diesel?

guido4475

Not a Member

If a person doesnt mind owning an 03 model Ford, Ryder still has alot of them with the 7.3 diesels in them.I absolutely love mine.

katoom400

Seasoned Expediter
I hate to admit this, but the pictures of the Ford van gave me a ......well, you know! Awesome van. Just out of curiosity, how much for the Ford van? gas or diesel?

$17k, gas 5.4, if it had a 7.3 it would be a closer race with the mpg issue. She does look good and work good for sleeping in and carry bikes and kayaks, just a rough ride on long trips, but what can I expect with a lifted heavy duty 4x4 van.

katoom400

Seasoned Expediter
I have read about many problems with sprinters, both T1N and NCV3, so my question is this. Am I being paranoid after reading negative posts?

since I would be shooting my load so to speak as far as spending cash.....how reliable are these really? I know that on the forums you tend to see more complaints than praise so I'm looking for some honest feedback.

If I buy a Sprinter (which my wife is against) and then I end up having to dump money into it, I'll have a bad case of the "I TOLD YOU SO'S"

this would be my everyday driver and I really couldn't afford to have it tied up at dealers for repairs more than a day at a time.

Thanks for any advice

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
Learning to do your own oil changes, (they are diferent that Ford ,) and as much basic maintanace yourself would save a bundle. Also preventivive maintanance. The problem I had was getting an appointment since there are not that many techs that know how to work on them and you need appointments. Not every town can work on them.

I had a rearend replaced at 140,000 miles and it cost me 2500.00 mostly cause it had to be shipped fom Germany, compare that to 500 t0 800 for a Ford or Chevy. I think reason my rearend went out that soon was because of a forklift that pushed my van while loading and I heard a not so good pop.

Just be aware they are not at all like Fords or Chevys.

Good luck