Folding Bikes

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We stopped in Thousand Palms CA at the Flying J to get a restart and laundry done. Right across the street is Joel's Bike Shop where we ended up spending a few hours picking out our new folding bikes. They weigh about 30 lbs, three speed, hand brakes, old people's seats, hand bell and basket on mine; Bob has a nice saddle bag.
I talked to our youngest daughter who informed us you buy a bike you buy a helmet, no helmet no bikes! So we are now the proud owners of bikes and helmetsWe would highly recommend this bike shop we felt we had excellent service and they really worked with us on customizing the bikes like we wanted. Added reflectors, added slime to the tires, gave us a couple reflector leg bands, showed us the correct way to chain our bikes and even let us take them for a test drive before purchasing.

That town has wonderful areas to ride bikes and we peddled our way all over the town. Had one crash so far Bob’s bike for some unknown reason did a wheelie and threw him off the back. He insists he does not know what happened. I hit the hand brakes too hard when I heard him crash and the bike stopped on a dime and I did not! He fell one direction and I fell the other. We had a hard time getting off the ground we were laughing so darn hard!

Had a great weekend with our new bikes!

pic of both bikes

Bob_and_Linda_s_Bikes.JPG

pic of Bob's bike folded
Bob_s_Bike_Folded.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I have reviewed the details of your vehicle accidents and regret to inform each of you that your respective accidents are ruled "preventable"

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Sounds like you had an enjoyable time. Bikes sound good
to me.. I could use a little exercise from time to time.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
There's your pics Linda! Sorry it took a while there.. they didn't want to download for some reason.. must have been a glitch in my email program.

Anyway, I'd have love to seen video of those crashes... ah the money to be made on America's Funniest Videos! :D

Dale

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dahon is one of the premiere folding bike companies. Those should last through generations of users, especially knowing how Bob cares for equipment. He better avoid the puddles though, no fenders that I can see. You'll have a lot of fun with them I'm sure, and we'll look forward to the next installment of the Knieval Caffees report. :D

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i think that is such a awsome idea..
im all for getting a lil more excersize and out of the truck often as possiable.....
im a solo driver...... i cant get out to calif.....
but i will check into a huge local bike shop out in the buffalo NY area.
wil see if they have this..... if they do ..... will let some of ya'll know

ihamner

Expert Expediter
What a cool ride! Hey, Linder, you need to use your purple paint for those white walls! Now Bob has something else really cool to polish. Take care out there.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well done !
Now that you got a new toys , you must need accessory's .
an Air-horn is a must !
a good place for online shopping is :
Erik's Bike Shop , in Minnesota .
Moose.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So have any customers seen the bikes in the back and commented on them yet?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The bikes look compact enough to fit in a van. Do they fold and unfold fairly easy?

If you each had a matching fez, and filled the basket with candy, you could horn in on small town parades this summer. People would think you were Shriners.

Have fun!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
They are very easy to fold up and easy to remake into bikes. The petals on the bikes even fold up as well as the handle bars. It makes into a small box like dimensions and will actually fit in our side took boxes.
Bob stores his bike in the nose of the box and today we had a rather large load so he pulled his bike out so he could store it in the back of the box so we can ride this weekend. The guys on the dock had a heck of a time trying to figure out what it was! Then Bob unfolded it and they were amazed.
It really is amazing everything what is adjustable on the bikes. A child could ride them as well as Bob at 6'3' and everything will adjust to his height or a child’s height.
I do have a small bell on mine that is not air at this point! The bell drives Bob nuts as I use it at most intersections and when I want to get his attention that is when I am upright on the bike and not crashed.