FMCSA Proposing Mandatory Electronic Recorders

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Old trucks will need them too !

Old farts, in old or new trucks, included.

But I won't HAVE a truck in two years, unless I buy a new one! :p I am tired of regulations that assume I am doing something wrong. Tired of the government in my face 24/7. Just sick and tired of it all.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

zorry

Veteran Expediter
But I won't HAVE a truck in two years, unless I buy a new one! :p I am tired of regulations that assume I am doing something wrong. Tired of the government in my face 24/7. Just sick and tired of it all.

You'd look good in sweats.

Open a gym. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When Diane and I were driving, I found it interesting to track the effect that EOBR's had on truck safety. To do that, I followed the SMS numbers of FedEx Custom Critical. I chose that carrier as a bellwether because just as the SMS numbers were first published by FMCSA, FCC was transitioning to EOBR's. It worked out nicely that we had a two-year baseline of FMCSA data to start with that showed that carrier mostly without EOBR's. As time progressed, you could see the changes in the FMCSA data as the fleet became fully EOBR-equipped.

As expected, logging violations declined. Also as expected (by me at least), the crash rate changed very little. That is because it is a myth that fewer log book violations mean fewer crashes. Whether a driver makes a math error on a log book or forgets to sign a page makes no difference whatsoever in that driver's likelihood of crashing a truck. And it makes absolutely no difference in whether an at-fault four-wheeler will create a DOT-reportable truck crash.

But the myth persists among people who do not trust truck drivers and is now becoming codified in law. The advances in Qualcomm technology accrue not to truck drivers but to the people who do not trust truck drivers. While they do nothing to reduce crashes, EOBR's makes it easier for people and institutions to manifest their distrust in the driver's cab and living space.

Why are EOBR's being mandated? Because it helps the people who do not trust truck drivers feel better.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I totally disagree.
And using FDCC as a study case is a poor choice, IMHO.

Phil, like many on this site, have never experienced real outlaw trucking.
A friend of mine went to Werner in the late 80's. He pulled in the yard after a long strenuous day. Out of hours. Dispatch begged him to do a load now. He refused. He locked the doors and went to sleep.
Three hours later dispatch pounded on the truck, woke him up, and insisted that he take the load because he should be able to handle it after a three hour nap. At stake was a fine by either a tire mfg or the auto mfg involved.

This is very prevalent to this day.

FedEx was a bad example here because the operation attempted , in most cases , to run legit.
There was little behavior change by the drivers in the move to EOBR's.

That steel hauler that hit the LEO and Tollway worker in Ill a month or two ago is the guy they're after.

Running 2 books is still prevalent today.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In the 1999 Amtrak Crash a steel hauler , proven to have been working in excess of 24 hours straight, was involved in a wreck that killed 11 and injured over 100.
He only got two years in prison for his logbook violations because a switch malfunction didn't lower the gates early enough. The crash was not his fault.
If he was alert he may not have pulled in front of a moving train. He loaded there often and had great visibility.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
An outlaw driver will be an outlaw driver whether there is an EOBR in the truck or not. Drivers determined to cheat will find a way to cheat EOBR's just as they found ways to cheat the books, especially if carriers are complicit. It's not like EOBR's force outlaw drivers to go through the scales.

What's the penalty for having an EOBR in your truck but suddenly discovering that "it was working just fine just five minutes ago, officer, I don't understand why it is a dead brick now." Given the rewards an outlaw driver may perceive in running an outlaw load, that possible penalty may be a risk worth taking. Just avoid the scales, don't have a wreck and you're good to go!

Most shippers and consignees don't care if there is an EOBR in the truck. Motorists don't know the difference. Cops can't know unless the truck is stopped and the EOBR is inspected. If someone wants to run under the radar and is willing to break the rules, there is little to stop him or her.

The people who distrust truckers will get around to dealing with that too. Coming soon to a truck near you: cameras that ID the driver and monitor his or face to guard against fatigued driving. Show too little eye movement too many times and the truck will slow down and then shut down so you can get the sleep you need.

I agree, Zorry, that FCC may not be the best case study about the effect of EOBR's on the level of truck crashes because, as you mentioned, it is not an industry-wide study. On the other hand, the FCC numbers do in fact show that with a compliant carrier, EOBR's made no positive difference in crash rates.

To support the point you are making, an industry-wide study would be required. Someone who is interested in doing that at an amateur level could capture the numbers now and wait a few years to compare them to the nubers when EOBR's are fully mandated and installed.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A truck hauler friend would load in Mi, drive to Amarillo, sleep three hours, and drive into LA area to reload.
The EOBR would have forced him into retirement.
Many of that fleet got tickets for no log books, or not filled out.
It was such a joke that one Moron got caught 3-5 days behind 3 weeks in a row.
I imagine the EOBR not working may be an OOS issue.
Drivers who feel comfy running loose leaf logs and redoing the week on Sat to mail in, may not feel good handing the officer proof that he is in violation.
I suspect back road, scale detour area inspections will increase.

This should make enforcement easier.
It will magnify lack of enforcement more.
With easier to retrieve records, enforcement should be easier,quicker.

There will continue to be outlaws. With computerized fuel data, cameras everywhere, and cell phone records, if Outlaws aren't shut-down it's more lax enforcement than savvy drivers.

When I started many would fuel at places that would ask " What date do you want on your fuel ticket ?"

I never did much speed, but is was easy to get and cheap.