FMCSA Proposing Mandatory Electronic Recorders

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I believe an industry wide study of crash results is very close to being released.

Possibly by ATRI or some other fairly legitimate organization.

Heard this on the XM Radio but didn't catch over a minute or two of the interview.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
An outlaw driver will be an outlaw driver whether there is an EOBR in the truck or not. Drivers determined to cheat will find a way to cheat EOBR's just as they found ways to cheat the books, especially if carriers are complicit. It's not like EOBR's force outlaw drivers to go through the scales.

What's the penalty for having an EOBR in your truck but suddenly discovering that "it was working just fine just five minutes ago, officer, I don't understand why it is a dead brick now." Given the rewards an outlaw driver may perceive in running an outlaw load, that possible penalty may be a risk worth taking. Just avoid the scales, don't have a wreck and you're good to go!

Most shippers and consignees don't care if there is an EOBR in the truck. Motorists don't know the difference. Cops can't know unless the truck is stopped and the EOBR is inspected. If someone wants to run under the radar and is willing to break the rules, there is little to stop him or her.

The people who distrust truckers will get around to dealing with that too. Coming soon to a truck near you: cameras that ID the driver and monitor his or face to guard against fatigued driving. Show too little eye movement too many times and the truck will slow down and then shut down so you can get the sleep you need.

I agree, Zorry, that FCC may not be the best case study about the effect of EOBR's on the level of truck crashes because, as you mentioned, it is not an industry-wide study. On the other hand, the FCC numbers do in fact show that with a compliant carrier, EOBR's made no positive difference in crash rates.

To support the point you are making, an industry-wide study would be required. Someone who is interested in doing that at an amateur level could capture the numbers now and wait a few years to compare them to the nubers when EOBR's are fully mandated and installed.

I have never run with an EOBR but I already know a few ways to cheat them because drivers are already doing it. I also have a couple of theories on how to cheat them but no way to test them out right now. If people that do not use them already know how to cheat them and have already been brainstorming new ideas it won't be long before the EOBR's are worthless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Paullud, Some of the things you hear are probably counter talk.

Some things can be done, but won't be as easy to mask as handing him the logbook thats in the glovebox in lieu of handing him the one from your briefcase.

And I'm sure some will trick them.

At least they have to make an effort to catch us. It's part of their job.

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Yes, sometimes they are a p.I.t.a. but honestly, I don't mind them too much. Some of the h.o.s. regulations are a different story, but really they aren't too bad. They keep you more honest, makes sure you're taking your breaks properly etc.

Plusif there were an accident your butt is covered a bit more. If you were on paper, and cheated, got into an accident, killed someone, and their family hired a good lawyer do you not think they would subpoena whatever they could to be used against you. Say your phone record that showed what towers you were using during that time you were "sleeping" in Toledo but your phone was using the toweds in indiana or a bank statement showing you bought Starbucks at the Oasis in IL during that time you were "sleeping" in Toledo, even though you paid cash for tolls "to cover yourself" . Falsified logs are a federal crime from my understanding. Yeah you're in deep crap if you killed someone in an accident, imagine how much deeper it is on a criminal log...

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As EOBR's have increased, so too has the number of under-the-radar yellow trucks hauling freight that used to go on regulated trucks. Is this a coincidence or are these trends somehow connected?

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a guy in Thailand that has a used Boeing 777 for sale cheap i think it would make a good expediting cargo plane but it still says Malaysian Airlines on it. Hmm.......Could it be?.....Nah.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There is a guy in Thailand that has a used Boeing 777 for sale cheap i think it would make a good expediting cargo plane but it still says Malaysian Airlines on it. Hmm.......Could it be?.....Nah.

Paint it.

Just don't paint it yellow.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Thats just crazy, people don't cheat on their log anymore just their spouses.

People cheat all of the time. How about when you're backed up to the loading dock for 6 hours and log it as off duty not driving? How about when you are sitting in traffic for 3 hours and log it as off duty not driving or sleeper berth? I don't think anyone should be driving a big truck after they've been up all day at a loading dock and then drive all night.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
People cheat all of the time. How about when you're backed up to the loading dock for 6 hours and log it as off duty not driving? How about when you are sitting in traffic for 3 hours and log it as off duty not driving or sleeper berth? I don't think anyone should be driving a big truck after they've been up all day at a loading dock and then drive all night.

And that's why I chose electronic logs. Well, that and it's nice not getting QC messages about turning logs in. LOL No, I cant' fudge the logbook anymore. But neither can I be fudged by a company president who wants me to run the load all the way, even tho I'd been sitting at the dock all day, wasting tiiiiiiime. Done with that life.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, but their are more then Omitracks on the market right now selling EOBR's.

BTW, I do believe Qualcomm sold Omitracks last year..

I find it disgusting. How much you wanna bet QC will be doing the EOBRs?

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You say here your on EOBR but on page 2 of this thread you make it sound as if you'll leave the industry before their mandatory. And I quote

Quote Originally Posted by zorry View Post
Still two plus years away .
Hopefully, I will be out by then. This crap is really old.

And that's why I chose electronic logs. Well, that and it's nice not getting QC messages about turning logs in. LOL No, I cant' fudge the logbook anymore. But neither can I be fudged by a company president who wants me to run the load all the way, even tho I'd been sitting at the dock all day, wasting tiiiiiiime. Done with that life.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You say here your on EOBR but on page 2 of this thread you make it sound as if you'll leave the industry before their mandatory. And I quote

Quote Originally Posted by zorry View Post
Still two plus years away .
Hopefully, I will be out by then. This crap is really old.

I CHOSE electronic logging. EOBR being mandatory means a cop can plug into my truck (life) with a fine-toothed comb. There's a difference between choice and force.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, but their are more then Omitracks on the market right now selling EOBR's.

BTW, I do believe Qualcomm sold Omitracks last year..

I'll reword it.

How much you wanna bet QC will be the government-endorsed EOBR?

Wonder how much they donated, for Obama to get the FMCSA to push the issue.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heck, I'll bet you a dinner.. All DOT will do is say what the unit will have to record and it will be up to the different EOBR making companies to comply....

Then again, even if they were to make QC the main company it won't help them since they don't own that part of their company anymore.. Different people all together own OmiTracs.
I'll reword it.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do believe the EOBR issue was part of the last budget the republicans and democrats agreed on last year. Therefore, blame republicans also.

Like I said OmiTracs isn't owned by Qualcomm anymore.. Google it and you will see.
I'll reword it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I do believe the EOBR issue was part of the last budget the republicans and democrats agreed on last year. Therefore, blame republicans also.

Like I said OmiTracs isn't owned by Qualcomm anymore.. Google it and you will see.

QC does my electronic logs. Nothing saying they can't make EOBRs again.