Flying J

kath71

Seasoned Expediter
I have never had a problem at a Flying J until today. The Flying J in Kansas City, MO has limited parking for cargo vans. I was told by security Tuesday nite, not to park in the bobtail spots, that it was all right to park by the building in the car park. No problem that night. I did a mini on Wednesday so went back to the Flying J. Parked and went to sleep. Thursday morning, with my curtains still up,one of their employees knocked on my window and told me that I couldn't park where I was. There were two other vans next to me with a Bolt express in the same area. He told me to park with the bobtails. I explained to him what the security had told me the night before. Went in and talked to a manager, explaining that the Panther vans were part of a trucking company. He said that we take up the employees parking spots. I said that we were not only trucks but also cusonmers. He said that they would address the issue of van parking but wants us to park with the trucks, taking up one of their spots, but not in bobtail spots. I guess, now you have to ask even in truck stops where you can park your cargo van.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
That Flying J is nothing more than a filthy fuel stop. Try the QT across the highway, or better yet, the Petro or T/A at I-70, exit 28

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OMG...why would one chose that J to stay? especially a van driver...Terrys quite right the QT is a 100% improvement. Find a Walmart or somethin...

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yep, I've been to that J before and it's definitely a dump. I'm glad I got a load right after I dropped near there. I'm currently at the J in Lansing it's a 200% improvement compared to that J. This makes me wonder if corporate cares about their stores? They build new J's and then after 10 years they are crap. I'd complain to the higher ups about the cleanliness of that particular store. On another note; I like Wendy's, but went to the Wendy's in Inverness, Fl by the Walmart, ordered the Spicy Baconator and they forgot to put the bacon on my sandwich. Ok, so I took it back and they were extremely rude about it not even apologizing. They did however get me a new burger. I seen the manager was too busy to talk to me so I called corporate and complained. Never had a problem with Wendy's til I ate there. <<still likes Wendy''s

Last edited:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
A few years ago that j was "ok" but it has turned into a real craphole I won't park there if for no other reason than i would be afraid to leave my truck to go inside. The place looks like the type of lot where trucks get broken into. I don't know if that happens their a lot but that is the 'feeling" i get.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I always look for the J because of the free showers for van drivers, but I stay away from that one. I either go to the Petro at exit 28 and just pay for my shower or go down to Peculiar to the J there. That one's newer and much nicer.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
i believe i would rather park on a street corner in downtown Kansas city before i would park at that j i always go to petro or ta at exit 28 much nicer and cleaner i might have to pay for a shower but its well worse it

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just call me different. I always park my 40 ft. straight truck at that J in KC. The fuel prices are usually lower there and it is very convenient after delivering to Claycomo.

I like the deli they have inside. I don't eat meat, but sometimes they have a good selection of mashed potatoes and veggies. They have a good breakfast selection, too.

I've showered there, and despite the fact that they are limited to the number of showers, the shower felt great. 2 towels as only the "J" provides. If you judge the site based on the restroom in the driver area, be advised that there is a really good restroom at the other end of the store.

In 4 years of using it, I've never had a problem there. I've never seen a truck broken into. I've seen rude drivers just like any truck stop, but there is nothing going on there that I need to complain about. I might have to wait in line sometimes to fuel, but I try to make my fuel purchases in the early am or late night when I can.

I'll continue using it as I do every Flying J I'm near.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
That Flying J is nothing more than a filthy fuel stop. Try the QT across the highway, or better yet, the Petro or T/A at I-70, exit 28

I agree with you Terry. I like that Petro there at Oak Grove myself. They used to have a decent seafood buffet there on Friday nights. I would say good, but it is a truckstop. They had a t-shirt there I always wanted to get and never did. Sure wish I had one now.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
It was a t-shirt with a picture of a Peterbilt pulling a flatbed and it said something like North American Chain Gang. Of course because flatbedders chain down some of their loads. It looked almost exactly like the truck and trailer I was in at the time.

If you ever get off the road you start thinking about different places you wished you would have picked up different things. Like t-shirts and what not.