Flying J Flagpole Watch

DBenton

Rookie Expediter
Driver
The main reason I will not go there is their skimming scandal with their fuel discounts. And yes I have researched it. Flag or no flkag they are crooks and stole that no e.g. from hardworking American Truck drivers. Good day.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a total hoax if you research it. They were founded and owned by a Korean war veteran.

They were owned......
The present owners seem to have a little baggage. Some foreign influence if I recall.
And consort with known politicians.
I wouldn’t put anything past the group in charge now.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They were owned......
The present owners seem to have a little baggage. Some foreign influence if I recall.
Pilot FLying J ownership:

Pilot Corporation (the Haslam family) - 50.1%
FJ Management (Flying J founders) - 11.3%
Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet) - 38.6%

The plan is for Berkshire Hathaway to increase its stake to 80% in 2023. The Haslam family and FJ Management will retain ownership stakes until then, upon which the Haslam family will retain the remaining 20% and FJ Management will withdraw altogether. The Haslam family will retain control of day-to-day operations of the company.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And aren't the Haslam's the original Pilot owners from waay back when it was a single gas station? Not saying the current Haslam brothers are exemplary corporate citizens but other than the first big expansion phase in the 90's where they partnered with Marathon (took over a bunch of Speedways) they have been firmly in control.

Reactions: Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is a total hoax if you research it. They were founded and owned by a Korean war veteran.
Which side did this Korean War Veteran fight for, North or South? Too many Commies are doing the capitalism thing. Just look at China. You can't have it both ways. Maybe that's why FlyingPilots have windshield washer in the washer bins but no squeegee/scrubber thing. Or no washer fluid but a squeegee/scrubber thing. Or both, but no paper towels or toilet paper. Toilet paper at the fuel island? Never mind!

I fueled at the J in Wayland, Missouri a few months ago. It was 8:00 at night and I needed coffee to continue on to where ever it was I needed to continue on to. 8 coffee tankards things and all were empty. Yeah, I know coffee is a morning ritual, but this was a truck stop, not a racial insensitive Starbucks. I said something. Apparently loud enough to attract the attention of the assistant to the assistant manager who order the assistant to the assistant associate to start brewing coffee, but only in three tankard things because it was now past 8:00 PM. The assistant to the assistant manger was rather rude to the assistant to the assistant associate, ordering her to brew coffee. I felt kinda bad until I remembered where I was. Sorta like when I've been on hold for 30 minutes with my carrier, while under load load and talk with the next available stooge.

Short story long, I waited for the coffee and got it for free. Of course the assistant to the assistant manager was at the cash register and took full credit for the freebie. Is this a great country or what! Even under the leadership of President Trump one can still find a free cup of coffee.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And aren't the Haslam's the original Pilot owners from waay back when it was a single gas station?
Haslam? That don't sound like no American moniker to me. Sounds like they all come from some Commie country to me. Damn feriners dispensin are fuel.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And aren't the Haslam's the original Pilot owners from waay back when it was a single gas station?
Haslam? That don't sound like no American moniker to me. Sounds like they all come from some Commie country to me. Damn feriners dispensin are fuel.
Lancashire County, in NW England, actually.

At first blush the name might look Arabic or something, but it and its variants (Heslam, Haselam, Haselan) come from the Old English reference to someone who lived "by the hazels" in the area where hazel trees are native to England.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the little LED on the coffee tank is blinking you're supposed to get free coffee (means it's old). They are supposed to have decals on the tank saying this, only locations I see it at are the ones that always seem to have coffee made fresh all the time anyways. When you mention a tank with a bliknking light to one of the troglodytes behind the counter they either shrug with indifference or start to rant about how busy they are (Instagram notifications are time consuming yo). I haven't tried mentioning the blinking coffee light to one of the self serve checkouts yet....might be a different outcome.

We don't allow Pilots in Canada, just FJ's. It's like a whole other country up here.

Reactions: Moot

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess I was wrongly under the impression that somewhere along the way some OPEC members had about a 40% stake in Pilot.
Possibly before the FJ merger and long before BH.
Does the fact that Jay was a vet necessarily influence want happens in 2018 ?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One thing I didn’t like on a recent trip I took is it seems like Pilot is grabbing every retail location they can.
Some independent locations I used to enjoy are now Pilot.
Seems like fewer options out there now.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We don't allow Pilots in Canada, just FJ's. It's like a whole other country up here.[/QUOTE]

You guys hate American felons up there, don’t ya ?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lancashire County, in NW England, actually.
England you says. Thems may not be commies but they drive on the wrong side of the road and they sure be feriners. We needs a wall built around Plymouth Rock to be keeping them from landing and coming into this country.

Reactions: Ragman and Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was at the J south of the Beloit a few weeks ago and they had just installed a complicated, high tech, touch screen coffee grinder/ brewer/dispenser. It replaced one set of tankards. The installer and a J employee were standing by it and showed me how to use it. I wasn't impressed.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was at the J south of the Beloit a few weeks ago and they had just installed a complicated, high tech, touch screen coffee grinder/ brewer/dispenser. It replaced one set of tankards. The installer and a J employee were standing by it and showed me how to use it. I wasn't impressed.
Use the iPhone app to order it. Do a search.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those new grinder thingies make way stronger coffee too. 16 oz topped off with hot water in a 24 oz mug is equivalent to old tank strength. Brews it with a froth too.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Use the iPhone app to order it. Do a search.
To order what? Do a search for what? Where I put my phone? Where I put my coffee? Where am I?