Flying J Flagpole Watch

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There’s controversy about Flying J/Pilot not Flying the American Flag at some locations.

As you guys drive around our fine country, report what you see if so inclined.

Location, pole/no pole, Flag/No Flag.

If the poles disappear, the lack of Flags will be less obvious.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There’s controversy about Flying J/Pilot not Flying the American Flag at some locations.
There's a controversy only within the realm of people who believe internet hoaxes at face value and never bother do do any research on the matter. The driver posted it on the internet, and of course as we all know, NOBODY lies on the internet!

Gas stations and restaurants are frequent targets for rumors of insufficient patriotism and various versions of the “Shunned Serviceman” urban legend.

We are proudly American - started by a Korean War veteran 60 years ago. Pilot Flying J shows that pride in all of our locations, whether that’s a flag outside, promoting military products in our stores, or through our many philanthropic efforts with organizations such as Bunker Labs, Fisher House Foundation, Operation Honor Guard, Special Operations Wounded Warrior, and Wreaths Across America.

Our current policy is that an American flag can only be displayed at our locations if it can be flown according to military protocol. What many may not know is there are very specific rules and protocols to properly fly a flag; everything from how it’s raised and flown, to how it’s lit at night. Our goal is to ensure we show the flag the respect it deserves at our locations that fly the red, white and blue. We are currently working to ensure that the flag poles at the locations that have a flag pole are repaired and in proper working condition to do so.

VERIFY: Is Pilot Flying J removing flags?
Pilot Truck Stop issues statement in response to viral video controversy

Reactions: Moot and piper1

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There's a controversy only within the realm of people who believe internet hoaxes at face value and never bother do do any research on the matter. The driver posted it on the internet, and of course as we all know, NOBODY lies on the internet!

Gas stations and restaurants are frequent targets for rumors of insufficient patriotism and various versions of the “Shunned Serviceman” urban legend.

We are proudly American - started by a Korean War veteran 60 years ago. Pilot Flying J shows that pride in all of our locations, whether that’s a flag outside, promoting military products in our stores, or through our many philanthropic efforts with organizations such as Bunker Labs, Fisher House Foundation, Operation Honor Guard, Special Operations Wounded Warrior, and Wreaths Across America.

Our current policy is that an American flag can only be displayed at our locations if it can be flown according to military protocol. What many may not know is there are very specific rules and protocols to properly fly a flag; everything from how it’s raised and flown, to how it’s lit at night. Our goal is to ensure we show the flag the respect it deserves at our locations that fly the red, white and blue. We are currently working to ensure that the flag poles at the locations that have a flag pole are repaired and in proper working condition to do so.

VERIFY: Is Pilot Flying J removing flags?
Pilot Truck Stop issues statement in response to viral video controversy
The hoax could also come from Pilot/Flying J. Some things you can believe and others you can't. The truth will come out unless there's a cover up going on.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The hoax could also come from Pilot/Flying J.
Yeah, because that's what PFJ wants - to discourage Americans from stopping at their locations.
The fact is, not a single thing about the hoax rings true, or even rings as plausible. Even if PFJ wasn't one of the more patriotic companies in America, which they are, they are very well aware that the vast majority of their customer base are patriotic truckers. The Facebook hoax was put up there by a driver with a history of whining about foreign truckers in the industry.

Some things you can believe and others you can't.
Most things posted to the Internet, you can't. Wild claims and accusations backed up with zero evidence are the ones that should be met with severe skepticism, rather than being believed at face value.

The truth will come out unless there's a cover up going on.
The truth has already come out. It's been out there for weeks.

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The video of the trucker with his red, white and blue truck wasn't the only posting about the flag situation. I've seen several others. Nevermind, the expert on everything has spoken so I guess I don't have anything else to say about the subject

Reactions: DBenton

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The video of the trucker with his red, white and blue truck wasn't the only posting about the flag situation. I've seen several others. Nevermind, the expert on everything has spoken so I guess I don't have anything else to say about the subject
No need for personal jabs. All I did was challenge you and others to look for actual evidence to support an unsubstantiated claim, and to employ a little critical thinking before believing outrageous claims at face value.

Do you really and truly think PFJ would risk its entire business to appease a miniscule number of foreigners?

Con men have a saying, "The bigger the lie, the more likely it is to be believed " And it's true So knowing that, the more outrageous something seems, the more extraordinary evidence is required to support it. Lacking sufficient evidence, critical thinking is all it takes to determine if something makes plausible sense. Flying J putting it's business at risk to avoid the possibility of offending 0.02 percent of its customers, especially after Warren Buffet having bought a significant portion of the company, makes zero sense. None whatsoever.

It's a free country, so you can believe what you want. If you want to believe that Warren Buffet and the other shareholders of PFJ are morons, you absolutely have that right. What you do not have the right to do it go off topic and take a personal potshot at me simply because I have a different opinion than you.

Reactions: RoadTime and Moot

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No need for personal jabs. All I did was challenge you and others to look for actual evidence to support an unsubstantiated claim, and to employ a little critical thinking before believing outrageous claims at face value.

Do you really and truly think PFJ would risk is entire business to appease a miniscule number of foreigners?

Con men have a saying, "The bigger the lie, the more likely it is to be believed " And it's true So knowing that, the more outrageous something seems, the more extraordinary evidence is required to support it. Lacking sufficient evidence, critical thinking is all it takes to determine if something makes plausible sense. Flying J putting it's business at risk to avoid the possibility of offending 0.02 percent of its customers, especially after Warren Buffet having bought a significant portion of the company, makes zero sense. None whatsoever.

It's a free country, so you can believe what you want. If you want to believe that Warren Buffet and the other shareholders of PFJ are morons, you absolutely have that right. What you do not have the right to do it go off topic and take a personal potshot at me simply because I have a different opinion than you.
I've always said we can always have different opinions but you're the one who in a round about way took two potshots about my comments. End of story. Have a good night.

Reactions: DBenton

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That flag means little to me to begin with. You can fly it anywhere or not fly it zero effect .I once bought confederate flag from dirty poor looking fellow in south Carolina for 27 bucks. Gave him a 50 and told him keep the change you need it.. he was one of MAGA crowd.. that think they are more American than everyone else

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
but you're the one who in a round about way took two potshots about my comments
Not true at all. I replied to what was posted, without even paying attention to who posted it. Who posted it is irrelevant. I have no idea what "two potshots" you are talking about, but apparently they got a little too close to the guilty mark, otherwise you'd have no reason whatsoever to take personal offense.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Turtle, you refer to Flying J as one of the “more patriotic companies in America.”
What leads you to make that statement ?

I’m confused as to only flying the flag when appropriate by military protacal.

And mentioning that the flag flys 24-7 at 2 franchise locations has little to do with corporate locations.

Warren Buffet. Genius, yes.
Involved in the day to day operations enough to know if Flying the flag at corporate locations is extremely low priority, doubtful.

“The expert on everything has spoken” I see as a compliment, not a jab.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle, you refer to Flying J as one of the “more patriotic companies in America.”
What leads you to make that statement ?
Well, the original Flying J logo was designed as a tribute to military jets, as well as the founder's own love of flying. The company was founded by O. Jay Call in 1968 when he had grown to 4 locations and he developed the truck stop chain concept. From the earliest beginning, Call prioritized hiring of military veterans returning from Vietnam. Pilot Travel Centers was founded by a Korean War Veteran of the Army Corps of engineers. Pilot has from the very beginning actively sought out military veterans for employees. When Pilot and Flying J merged not much changed in that regard, other than their philanthropic efforts towards military veterans has increased, and they actively partner with the military to recruit veterans to the company.

They were a charter sponsor and are an annual contributor to the Bunker Labs, which is a national not-for-profit organization headquartered in Chicago and built by military veteran entrepreneurs to empower other military veterans to start and grow businesses. Created in 2014, PFJ has donated $125,000 annually to the organization.

PFJ is also a major sponsor of Wreaths Across America. They are one of the principal funding sources of the National Desert Storm War Memorial, which was authorized by Trump in March of 2017. They also give money and time to several other veterans organizations. Eight of the current 76 houses of the Fischer House Foundation were built and then donated outright by PFJ. The houses are used by military families while their servicemembers are receiving medical treatment at a VA or other major military medical center. There are 76 Fisher Houses located on 24 military installations and 32 VA medical centers. The houses are between 5,000 and 16,800 square feet, and is designed to provide 8 to 21 suites which can accommodate 16 to 42 family members. There are no costs for lodging or meals to the family members.

There are other things, as well, most of which fly under the radar, but you don't get involved in those sorts of things if you aren't one of the more patriotic companies.

I’m confused as to only flying the flag when appropriate by military protacal.
Civilians or civilian groups or organizations are not required to conform with regulations promulgated by one or more executive departments of the Government of the United States. In the case of PFJ, they have chosen to adhere to the same rules of etiquette as is found in the military. Considering the number of employees and managers at PFJ who first learned the flag etiquette in the military, it kind of makes sense.

Warren Buffet. Genius, yes.
Involved in the day to day operations enough to know if Flying the flag at corporate locations is extremely low priority, doubtful.
Warren Buffet may or may not be involved in day-to-day operations, and almost certainly is not, but there is probably very little of the operations of which he in unaware.

Reactions: BigStickJr

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope PFJ sues this guy for slander (if that's possible). At some point this kind of internet stupidity has to stop. Fine, the guy has an opinion on the American-ness of the driver pool or whatever, but, to make up some kind of story that the lack of flags is meant to appease customers of certain backgrounds is very unfair.

Outside of Home Depot and Walmart how many other big national chains have a properly maintained and displayed flag at EVERY location? Drive around and need to know which way the wind is blowing...unfortunately finding the stars n stripes as an indicator is not very common.

And if ya just don't like PFJ...how about using a real reason to complain....there are a lot to choose from before you need to buy in to some internet hoax.

And for the record, this Canadian has the stars and stripes properly displayed as well as my maple leaf. I like the neighbor next door.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And for the record, this Canadian has the stars and stripes properly displayed as well as my maple leaf. I like the neighbor next door.
It doesn't get any better than that.

41WwBT-k%2BcL.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya, hey dare hoser. I'd gladly trade you lutefisk Friday for some poutine today.

Reactions: piper1