Floor Boards of Truck

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have been fighting with the floor boards of the truck trying to keep them clean. Does anyone have a good solution for this? We have been running is a lot of rain and at times it just feels as if you are in a losing battle. Any suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
The poster with a solution to this problem should win the grand prize! We fight this constantly. So far a good sweeping and vacuuming is on the weekly to do list with no prevention solution.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
The best thing to buy are those mat pieces that you can zip stip to your step and you brush your feet as you get in. They work great. Nothing will keep it all out but these sure help.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I keep a whisk broom behind the seat and whenever we stop, it's a quick brush. It's not perfect, but it sure keeps the dirt down. The mats for the steps help alot too!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I use a product called Low R. Since driving my van I have simply lowered my standards. I have been out of service since Friday, (back in serv now, waiting for a load at home), and have not had the ambition to sweep out my cab. Will probably pick up a load Monday and leave with Frito chunks on the floor. My wife would crap if she looked in and saw the mess.

:+ :+

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Our local carpet store sometimes sells old samples from their books for $1.00 each. They're the perfect size for throwaway mats. Just use 'em, shake 'em out til they look bad, then throw away. Perhaps your local carpet store does something similar, or just cut up a carpet remnant. Also, you can get 'boot scrapers' that zip tie to the steps, or even one of the 'hedgehog' type cleaners that normally set on porches.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"If you don't have the time to do something right,
where are you going to find the time to fix it?"

-Stephen King

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dale's idea was one I was trying to figure out - how to attach a hedgehog, or just a shoe brush to the step. My book on cleaning, written by the expert Clean Team, says to minimize the dirt coming inside, by using good barriers outside the door. It takes adapting to make it work for a truck, instead of a house, but the principle is the same.
I keep a whisk broom under the seat, to get rid of the Cheerios & dried berries & popcorn that always end up on the floor. :)

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
We have always went and gotted the step mats for outside but also we p/u some cheap indoor/out carpet and carpet the cab then we use a throw rug for a mat under our feet (longer nap the better) and always try to remove our shoes before entering the back, but if we don't have time we end up with alot to wipe on before we get there. And the throw rug you can shake out the vaccunm the carpet whenever. It helps alot.

Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG:)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Coming out of a WalMart the other day, I saw a stand with free "wet umbrella" bags. I grabbed a couple, and found that they're also good for putting shoes in - being transparent, you can see which shoes are in there. Keeping several pairs of shoes is a neccessity for me, and storing them is a pain. Now I can segregate them, but grab a pr quickly when I want to switch. Putting wet shoes in the bag would help to keep the truck floor dry, too.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
PS - the umbrella bags hold a pair of my shoes, but boots, or larger shoes, would probably need a bag for each. Good thing they're free, lol.;)

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Mike and I carry a dust buster that sits next to the passenger seat. It works much better than a small brush and dustpan. We were in Sam's Club a couple of weeks ago and they have interlocking carpet pieces that we thought about purchasing to place between the seats towards the sleeper. I believe the price was $19.96 plus tax.

Mike and Cyn

barbaba704

Expert Expediter
Looks like this is a commom problem for all truckers. We have the factory rubber floorcovering for the cab area and removable rubber mats for the driver and passenger seat floor. I installed an air blower that ties into the passenger seat air supply which allows you to easily blow any debris out the door. Since you have about 120 psi it also works great for any spilled liquids as well. The air blower kits are available at any truck stop and the fittings to tie into the seat air supply are easy and foolproof to use. The blower is also good for blowing those Frito chips and popcorn off of your clothing that have accumulated as you stuff your face going down the road. It is also fun to surprise your sleeping spouse with a burst of cold air}>
In the sleeper area we use some carpeting we got from a customer we delivered to in Richmond. It is some kind of indoor-outdoor carpeting that is virtually stainproof and somewhat water resistent. It came in 24" width so we have two pieces cut to fit and works very well. To clean it we use a whisk broom and dust pan or if it is real bad we just take them out and give them a good shake. There is no nap to them so they shake out really well. The vinyl floor underneath we scrub as needed (not very often) and sweep up with the aformentioned broom and dust pan (more often.) Fortunately Barbara likes to clean so it gets done a lot more often then otherwise.

Hope this helps someone out there. Drive safely (and cleanly!)

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
On our last truck we bought the green welcome mat at walmart. I cut it to fit each step then got scizzors and slashed where I wanted a hole then put plastic zip cord I think its called to hold it to the steps holes. On atleast onestep I made it go over the side at least 3 inches toget the sides ofour shoes easier.
On one side I even left the cute flower.lol
I still got a little messy in the winter with the ice and snow slosh. and the water did seem to collect there a little too.

Oh and my mom and stepdad use a are gun (that they ran the hose from the air ride seat) to blow it all out of of the floor

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
We remove all the flooring in all of our trucks and replace it with PErgo flooring. It is easy to install and looks BEAUTIFUL. A box and a half covers a 96 inch sleeper. The stuff does not scratch, dent, stain, etc and it is SO easy to clean. We even did this in our semi truck. People get in our trucks and are shocked with hardwood floors.....makes them look so nice as well as being practical.

-Charlotte

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
It cost me big but it worked.

Most expensive Floor Matts I have ever purchased. They are oginial KW but Freight, International etc... should all carry them.

These have almost a half an inch ribbing in the matt thus all dirt, water, snow stays in those ribbs keeping the bottom of my feet dry even when I carry a ton of snow in with me. The heater than aids and dries all of the snow.

Shake matt out at next convient time and Bingo keeps mudd, snow, sand etc... in the bottom of those matts and off my shoes even if I should take my shoes off and drive in just sox. In the winter I do this cause my feet get so hot trying to keep warm, and my sox do not get dirty like they did with other cheaper matts.

PS I also installed one of those air hose with a gun under my seat. This is a great way to keep the front of the truck tidy. Lots of air pressure even blows the dust as it rises out the door.

Good luck nothing like a clean truck!!!!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Broom that sure sounds like what we need for the front of the truck. Both of us also like to wear our socks driving so I like the floor to be as clean as possible. Sounds like a good investment.

We had a Pergo floor in the sleeper area of our truck, which replaced horrible black carpet. Bob just took the Pergo out of the truck and with the help of Terry O'Connell installed a oak tongue and groove floor. We cannot believe the difference it made to the truck and how much more cozy the floor is.