Flat rate???

aimeejos

Active Expediter
I wonder if any changes have been made at the "office" level? What have they done at their end to cut the budget and increase profits or are they just dumping it all onto the trucks? Because through my personal experience I can point out some positions that are a waste of desk space and could easily be combined with other positions.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Problem is you have a bunch of bean counters in there making the decisions. These people know absolutely nothing about this business.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if any changes have been made at the "office" level? What have they done at their end to cut the budget and increase profits or are they just dumping it all onto the trucks? Because through my personal experience I can point out some positions that are a waste of desk space and could easily be combined with other positions.

A certain position in the safety department comes to mind. Do they really need someone travelling around the country in a van to deliver office supplies to the contractors?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A certain position in the safety department comes to mind. Do they really need someone travelling around the country in a van to deliver office supplies to the contractors?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Yeah they do. They should have Two Terrys.
He's a valuable source of information. We have many vehicles that need to be inspected more often.
If I was in safety I'd push for safety inspections to be done at FedEx Freight facilities with high standards.

In 3 years when I park my truck I want to apply to be the West Coast Terry.

I don't want a $printer. I want a Promaster. Or the Ford may be close by then.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In 3 years when I park my truck I want to apply to be the West Coast Terry.

I don't want a $printer. I want a Promaster. Or the Ford may be close by then.

If you can hold off retiring for 5 years you can have the very first Transit off the line. :rolleyes:

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
I would guess they are probably not done yet. :( I'm thinking forced dispatch can't be far behind.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I would guess they are probably not done yet. :( I'm thinking forced dispatch can't be far behind.

I hope your wrong. But if the short loads and the no mans land loads can't be covered their would leave no option. I'm curious if they can do forced dispatch and still have independent contractors.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We all have the same choice to make. IF this fits our business plan, we accept it. IF not, we leave. That is business.

Do I believe this is a smart long term move? Nope. Can I do anything about it? Nope. I do know one thing for sure, I have not been feeling much "love" of late and feel more and more like a poorly paid, disrespected employee with each passing day.

Deville

Not a Member
I'm curious if they can do forced dispatch

If you noticed in the letter it stated trucks will get more points for accepting loads, so that is just re-wording how the acceptance rate is included in load ranking.

I felt that that was and still is a reverse form of forced dispatch. Frankly, IMO the last contract FEDEX made us sign had a few things in it that made me scratch my head. In particular the safety requirements. A seat belt ticket or use of an electronic device is grounds for immediate disqualification. How it was explained to me once you submit the ticket even if the driver plans on fighting it in court you are disqualified. When I asked about well what about a personal vehicle, I was told the policy applies to that as well.

Now I don't know about any of you but my feeling is that the company is acting as judge & jury and is attempting to encroach in an independent contractors personal affairs. If it came down to it in a court of law none of it is enforceable, & FDCC could be accused of misqualifying IC's as company drivers. The latter I have no desire to be.

I also tame umbridge that FDCC keeps changing the contract to suit them and only them. It's a worthless paper now as far as I am concerned. What's the difference if we are getting 59.5% of the load, 59.5% of nothing is still nothing. This is an industry wide issue. Carriers keep pushing rates lower and lower, we all know the effect of that.

For whatever reason FEDEX keeps caving on this issue when they should be pushing the CC model like they used to, specialized freight handling with top notch equipment, over qualified IC's and the FEDEX brand behind it that offers a wide range of service, security and piece of mind. That's what the customer is paying for, the name, and the Fedex NAME COST'S MONEY. That's why you are paying extra.

But the FEdEX name won't mean dick if experienced drivers are being put out of the system because they can't run a profitable business.

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
If you noticed in the letter it stated trucks will get more points for accepting loads, so that is just re-wording how the acceptance rate is included in load ranking.

I felt that that was and still is a reverse form of forced dispatch. Frankly, IMO the last contract FEDEX made us sign had a few things in it that made me scratch my head. In particular the safety requirements. A seat belt ticket or use of an electronic device is grounds for immediate disqualification. How it was explained to me once you submit the ticket even if the driver plans on fighting it in court you are disqualified. When I asked about well what about a personal vehicle, I was told the policy applies to that as well.

Now I don't know about any of you but my feeling is that the company is acting as judge & jury and is attempting to encroach in an independent contractors personal affairs. If it came down to it in a court of law none of it is enforceable, & FDCC could be accused of misqualifying IC's as company drivers. The latter I have no desire to be.

I also tame umbridge that FDCC keeps changing the contract to suit them and only them. It's a worthless paper now as far as I am concerned. What's the difference if we are getting 59.5% of the load, 59.5% of nothing is still nothing. This is an industry wide issue. Carriers keep pushing rates lower and lower, we all know the effect of that.

For whatever reason FEDEX keeps caving on this issue when they should be pushing the CC model like they used to, specialized freight handling with top notch equipment, over qualified IC's and the FEDEX brand behind it that offers a wide range of service, security and piece of mind. That's what the customer is paying for, the name, and the Fedex NAME COST'S MONEY. That's why you are paying extra.

But the FEdEX name won't mean dick if experienced drivers are being put out of the system because they can't run a profitable business.

With the way they are tightening the strings on t-val in order to have "better equipment" it almost seems as if they want to make 2 different companies. One of which is a specialized freight carrier and the other just an express form of fedex freight.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's the thing. When I signed up initially there was Fedex and there was everyone else. Customers knew they could have filet mignon or they could go elsewhere and have hamburger. Now it's just look at our hamburger with the fancy name brand on it. Nothing special, just hamburger, but with a name you used to be able to trust. Now the filet is another company well represented here.