Flat rate???

aimeejos

Active Expediter
Rumor has it changes are being announced today that effect surface tractors and straight trucks. Anyone have a scoop on this yet??? I heard this from a fleet owner.

aimeejos

Active Expediter
Just got fleet message about this over the clink so I guess you all know about it now- no longer a rumor. Thoughts???

rymilburn

Active Expediter
I haven't seen it yet.... But I haven't checked my c-link. It wouldn't surprise me.

When I was in straights... 90% of my runs were negotiated.... We made some good money. I just switched to a sprinter which is flat rate. I guess the timing was good.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I understood correctly it is $1.25 surface and $1.30 WG. Deadhead 75cpm on all miles now not first 50 free. DOD and T-VAL remain on percentage. All amounts are plus fsc.

Vans are also being hit. New leases will be 80cpm not 85cpm. Current vans will stay at 85cpm until the van is replace and will then drop to 80cpm. DH is 15cpm from mile one. All amounts are plus fsc.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you have email address on file they emailed details today. Minis are also affected.
I believe you can stay on your present contract until it expires. Then flat rate is your only option.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you have email address on file they emailed details today. Minis are also affected.
I believe you can stay on your present contract until it expires. Then flat rate is your only option.

They include "preference points" for dispatch in the "new" pay system for trucks on the flat rate. They also say that tolls will be paid on "almost" all tolled miles. They also said that you could stay on the "percentage" rate, as opposed to the $1000 per year plan when they rebranded, that did not last very long.

No doubt there is more to come.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
All the info you need is on the extranet, along with a special 800 number to ask questions.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I understood correctly it is $1.25 surface and $1.30 WG. Deadhead 75cpm on all miles now not first 50 free. DOD and T-VAL remain on percentage. All amounts are plus fsc.

Vans are also being hit. New leases will be 80cpm not 85cpm. Current vans will stay at 85cpm until the van is replace and will then drop to 80cpm. DH is 15cpm from mile one. All amounts are plus fsc.

$.80 DOWN from $.85? WAY too low to start with. I guess they believe that LOWERING rates is an incentive to buy NEW, more EXPENSIVE equipment. I wonder if anyone there is running for political office? Sounds like the kind of thinking we see from politicians.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Think the people answering those special phones have asbestos ear pieces..

The MATS breakfast will be more interesting than most years. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
$1.25 is what a van rate should be with today's cost, at a MINIMUM! Sprinter rates should be more like $1.50, minimum. All before FSC etc.

That flat rate is a money loser for contractors and will lead to a less reliable fleet.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's only worth a nickle a mile for the added expense of a liftgate? For maintaining a security clearance? The added "risk" for certain loads? Sounds like a real "steal" for someone.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
So if I buy a $200,000+ truck to wg standards and I get into wg the only loads I can bid on are t-val and dod? So everyone is flat rate unless your hauling a t-val or dod load? Hmmm. I thought it was everyone not in the wg program was flat rate and they were gonna leave wg units alone.

How often do you wg trucks do non t-val or dod loads? Do they make up 100% of your loads? 75%, 50%?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Looks like they are doing every thing they can to get rid of the van business. Or is it that the line up of people willing to throw their investment dollars away never quits?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Joe, go get your broker's license. I want to put 3 $printers on with you as soon as you develop that freight base.