FINALLY SAID GOOD BYE TO PANTHER

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sure everyone can understand your frustrations (whether your with Panther or not) We hate the QC sometimes too (especially when I'm driving at midnight and my hubby is "trying" to sleep)! LoL! I wish you nothing but the best. Some people fit better with Panther, some with Fedex...others with smaller companies. We run a straight truck and do well with Panther, some weeks better then others but it all seems to average out. We have good truck owners/mentors that help us make the best decisions possible, which has been the best thing for us. I think if we started out owning our own truck we would of failed...I'm almost sure of it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just to hit on a couple of points here...

The "board" isn't the driver council. The board is the list of available trucks in a given city, and they are listed in to the order of availability, usually FIFO (first in, first out, the person who has been on the board (the list) longest is at the top of the board, and so on). The Nashville Board, for example, lists all available trucks in the Nashville area. The Bucyrus Board, well, I won't do that. You'll just get board.

Mr Ft Wayne is claiming that whoever is at the top of the board are the favorites of the dispatchers, and those who the dispatchers do not like tend to stay near the bottom of the board and will not get load offers until all the favorite drivers have been taken care of.

I would state here that such a claim is patently absurd and utterly silly, but in doing so I would actually be acknowledging that the claim has any validity. It doesn't, so I won't address it, other than to say that (a) dispatchers have zero time to play those kinds of games and (b) they're largely not intelligent enough to play them even if they did have the time to do so.

The other thing I wanted to mention is about how dispatchers and others have been reported to talk to the drivers. Generally speaking, most of the time for most situations, I have found that the dispatchers are cordial, friendly, pleasant and business-like. There have been times when they have caught me in a bad mood, or said something that put me in one, and they then talked to me pretty much the same way I talked to them. hehe

The only exception, voice recordings notwithstanding, is a few weeks ago one little power-mad snot in Safety talked to me in such a manner that if I had been standing there I would have absolutely cold-cocked his sorry little butt (not that for a moment I believe that he even has the grapes to have said that to my face, tho). There was nothing special about how I interpreted it, or misinterpreted it. Panther records all phone conversations. So do I.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After Fedexcc started recording all phone conversations things improved quite a bit. There was a W/Glove dispatcher named Phyllis that finally was fired due to her phone abuse. For years people had complained about her attitude to no avail. Two months after the recordings went into effect she was asked to leave. There even had been a petition passed around and signed about her but that went nowhere but the recordings worked.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We've never had dispatch talk to us in an unfriendly manner. They don't always tell us what we want to hear, but that's life. Makes me wonder if it's how they are spoken to that makes the difference?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As in the case of this thread, it still boils down to not knowing their system, and not knowing the functions of the QC. Leo did a nice job of expanding on what I said earlier.
The idea that fleet owners get loaded in front of the other drivers is not a true statement either. Some PERCIEVE they know what is going on, and they don't.
Case in point, last month we had a truck in Dallas, and we were number 9 on the board. The daily average didn't exceed that so we found a great load on another board outside of Panther's system.
We took the load but many called and complained because our truck pulled out right away while others had been there for several days.
It all started because they were parked next to another Panther truck and they seen them working the QC and loading information into their GPS, and pulling out.
Thus, the whining and "that is a fleet owners truck" begins.
We didn't magically jump from number 9 to first out as some thought.
They do have an advantage in that they are in a fleet truck, as myself and others have access or whatever someone wants to call it, outside of Panther's system.
One last point, if one wants to put multiple shipments on a truck, that can be done at Panther. It is more related to straights and tractors, rather than vans. Again, nothing really new.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dave makes an excellent point. Being proactive can get one out of a less than ideal situation while sitting around gets one sitting time. I've spent the day in dispatch. Talk about a FAST paced HIGH pressure situation! Dispatchers aren't sitting there reading soap opera magazines and scanning the boards for their pet drivers. They are almost frantically jumping from one task to the next as they deal with 100 or more loads and trucks for their entire shift. More than one of them told me that even if they did have favorites, which they don't, they wouldn't have the time to find them. NEWSFLASH More than one also told me they are more likely to remember a driver being an anal orifice than anything else.

Let's look at this whole favoritism foolishness a little more. Let's say that Jane Smith does have a favorite driver, John Doe. John is sitting on the Hopkinsville board. Jane has 117 loads to manage this shift. Of those, 68 are handoffs from the prior shift and in transit. The other 49 come in during her shift. Of those 49, 41 are placed on trucks by the CSR that books the load. That leaves 8 loads that Jane searches for trucks for. What are the odds that one of those is going to need a truck from the Hopkinsville board so Jane can skip trucks to give it to her favorite, John?

I guess I've got a lot of Missouri lineage because I'd have to see the paperwork showing 3 loads on one straight truck. I'm sure it's done once in a blue moon but I'm also sure there's a whole lot of fertilizer to avoid stepping in in that oh so green other pasture.

Panther is far from perfect. Panther is a pain in the butt. NEWSFLASH So are all the other companies in one way or another. One of my friends recently left expediting for another area of trucking. He was very successful in expediting. He'll be very successful in his new venture, just as he was before expediting. He's proactive. He doesn't sit around bemoaning the problem areas. He fixes the problems he can. He learns to work around the problems he can't fix. He proactively makes his own opportunities and successes rather than waiting for opportunity to knock or beep.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Turtle -
Like always you twisted my statement. I did not say there WAS special treatment, I said I could understand it if there was - HUGE difference.

Here is the bottom line for all you panther pushers who think it is always the driver at fault.

Here is my driver data for the last mont. Read it, understand it, and then you will see why I packed up the litter box and declawed the big ugly cat!

Driver Data
Days On Time % In-Service % Acceptance % Loads Loaded Miles
7 100 92 100 2 274
14 100 92 75 3 538
30 100 90 77 7 1649

In the 14 day row and the acceptance being 75% sounds bad but when you only get 4 offers it is misleading.
In the 30 day row I had 9 offers and took 7 of those offers. I turned down a 1-mile run and I believe the other was 80-miles.
So these are the actual facts, I looked it all up this morning instead of just shooting off my mounth.
So, being in service 90% of the time and only getting 9 offers is total BS in any logical person's mind!
Bottom line.
I brought in $870 for the month, with total expenses on road (food, I do not smoke) of $86 for the month, leaving $784 for my take home pay.
So, who else would have stayed?
Someone blame me for only 9 load offers in 30-days.
Come on - Go ahead.
TO MANY GD TRUCKS -BOTTOM LINE!
Take Care Of Your Drivers - The Drivers Take Care Of Your Customers!
DRIVERS - THE MISSING LINK IN THE PANTHER THOUGHT PROCESS!

chilly

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, Im new to this site but have been reading for awhile. and would like to give an outsidrs point of view if I might.

While reading post for the last few months and talking peronaly with diffrent drivers, a couple of them being panther II van drivers, I am of the belife that the Van Market is to saturated and there is not enough work to go around. Chilly

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
very good observation, but when you have 3 coming in the front door and 4 going out the back door, thats what you have. A constant flow of vans, this is always gonna be a problem.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
"Now that I will not miss. Going to a real TRUCKING company!"

Ft. Wayne, maybe here is some of the problem you are having, this is expediting not trucking, but good luck in the future with whatever comes your way.

BTW what the new screen name gonna be, or should we just wait and figure it out here in about a week or so?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Turtle -
Like always you twisted my statement. I did not say there WAS special treatment, I said I could understand it if there was - HUGE difference."

OK, first of all, I did not twist your statements. It's simply not worth the mental effort to do so.

I have never twisted your statements in the past, so to accuse me of doing it yet again, "like always", may be a major indicator of why you have a track record of failure in this business. You commented that you had to fight 1500 other Panther trucks for loads, and that you were getting passed over, and that, " Every company will give that special treatment to those that give them that special love back and I understand that." Every post you have made in this thread outlines special treatment (or at least perceived special treatment) that was not afforded to you, including making the leap to charge that this is the way Panther treats "MOST of their drivers", leaving anyone reading that to conclude that most of the drivers are not treated well and that the ones who are treated well are the favorites. There is nothing twisted in my interpretation of your statements here.

As to your driver data, there is much information missing that needs to be considered before one can come to any conclusions. For example, why were you not in service 100% of the time for those 14 days? Usually when people go home for the weekends they take themselves out of service on Friday afternoon or evening, thereby taking themselves out of availability to get those last loads on Friday or on Saturday for Monday delivery. And when they come back in service on Monday, they come back well down the list on whatever board they are on. You can be in service on Monday but be so far down on the board that it may be Tuesday or even Wednesday before you are offered your first load of the week. This is particularly true is you come back in service right there in the middle of the freight lanes (upper middle midwest - northern IL, IN, OH and southern MI) where there are thousands of trucks and most of the loads are short runs within those same freight lanes.

The numbers you posted, the ones you blame on Panther, are absolutely classic. People who go home every weekend are off Saturday and Sunday, and for the vast majority of Friday and Monday, as well. They generally miss out on those last load opportunities on Friday, and then the first load opportunities on Monday, which effectively has them working 3 days a week, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. And they wonder why they aren't getting any miles and are making no money, and they blame Panther.

I have spent many a weekend at the Flying J in Hopkinsville rather than driving the 45 minutes from there to the house, because I know that if I stay there I'll be first out on Monday morning, and if I go home and then come back out I'll be 3rd on a board that only averages a load a day. People say I'm crazy, but then again, those people are the ones who blame Panther 'cause they're broke.

Other things to consider is where did the loads that you accepted take you? Did they take you to a location where there are also many more trucks than loads, where you are likely to have to sit yet another day or two while you work your way up the board again for the next load? If so, why did you accept the load?

Also, what is your percentage of deadhead of all miles driven? Did you use the Macro 8 to at least find out where the boards are, and how many loads a day that come out of those boards (that's the only things Macro 8 is good for), and do you deadhead to the boards with the most loads instead of sitting #2 on a board that does one a day?

You can post your driver and load history all day long, but without knowing why you have those results, it's all meaningless.

It seems to me that you think that this business is mostly putting yourself in service and then you sit back and wait for lots and lots of loaded miles to be handed to you on a silver platter. True enough, unless you have your own authority, your options for obtaining the loads and miles you want are severely limited, but you do have some options nonetheless. You can accept loads that make sense, both on the heels of the load you just dropped off (in terms of total deadhead miles from delivery to the next pickup, as well as the time involved in the deadhead), and taking into consideration of where the load takes you to in relation to getting your next load after that (how much back end deadhead will be required, and/or is the delivery in a place that's saturated with trucks already).

The key is to figure out what went wrong instead of taking the easy way out and pointing the finger at Panther, because there are an awful lot of drivers who somehow manage to do well with them. Why is it that they can, and you can't? If you can figure that out, you'll be much better off regardless of whichever carrier you end up with.

The ironic thing is, this advice is coming to you from someone with very little respect for Panther. There are some good people there, but based on my experiences, I can confidently, and quite comfortably, state that there are far too many utterly incompetent people in key positions.

I am sure that I cannot state with confidence that other carriers employ so many people who are equally as incompetent (man, I hope not!), but I can say that all carriers will do things that you don't like. Con-Way NOW, for example, did things that absolutely drove me crazy. Panther does, too, it's just that they are different things, and they drive me just as crazy.

Bottom line is, I don't care. I don't care how crazy they drive me. I don't care about Panther. The only thing I care about is my business, which is me and my truck. I'll do whatever it takes to make it a success despite (or in spite of) Panther. That means accepting and rejecting loads that make sense overall, it means deadheading smart, it means fighting the smart fight. It means taking care of Panther even though they don't deserve it, and it means taking care of the customer who always deserves it. It means being professional. I can do that.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
This is only my opinion but here goes.

I think a lot of people on here do not realize that each of our trucks is an independent business. We sell a service one customer at a time, we use a middle man who does our marketing for us, and they procure customers and then ask our business if we would like to service "their client". If we chose not to then we have to wait for them to procure us another service offer.

We are no different that the local gas station 1000's of cars a day pass their location but every once in awhile one will pull in and take advantage of their services.

I think a lot of people feel that the dispatchers work for us and they do not they are just trying to find businesses to service "their clients" and they really don't care if you do or not because there is another gas station on the next corner who will.

We all need to realize and understand that we are the captains of our own destiny and stop blaming everyone else when we do not meet our goal and expectations. So stop whining about companies and look at what you can do to improve you own lot.

fortwayne

Not a Member
turtle -

you are some sort of classic kitty kat muncher.......dude you have no clue of when i go home, when i go out of service, bla bla bla........and for you to act like you sit in service 24/7/365 days shows your bs nut kissing kitty kat stupidity.........it kills me that you think cause i ##### and moan that these companies mainly your bed buddies there at the kat are never ever never ever ever no way in ##### ever wrong or screw anyone over by accident or just for the sake of it........thank goodness this discussion with your lame ##### is now over.........if you are making it by sleeping yet denying there is nothing ever wrong with the kats policies then fine, more power to you - you say there is missing info...where did the trips take me to etc.....why, you will ##### that i took loads to bad areas i should have moved, etc..........dont tell me about moving......i have moved from southern alabama after sitting for days, moved all the way to TN - no offers (well two for a total of 100 miles that would have kept me in TN); moved up to Kentucky and made it all the way three days later into Indiana without a load.......ok dripple head ##### some more about me.....i move where the loads usally are.....where there are no trucks, etc.....i move i do not wait....

Fort Wayne
Now That Is Stupid!

fortwayne

Not a Member
now that i thought about it why am i continuing this bs nonsense stupid conversation with him going.......##### i am moving anyways and don't have to wait in line to make money!!!!!!!!!

Fort Wayne
Now That Is Stupid!

2pioneers

Seasoned Expediter
The message that I would take short runs and like it or we could sit in a truck stop for six weeks or more waiting on a longer run was sent to us on the QC not over the phone

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
One thing I have found out about expedited freight is that you have to wait for it, because it can't wait for you. It's always an inconvenience and that IS the nature of the beast.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dripple head? Oh, man, thats funny. :D I like that. Dripple head.

Okay, first of all, you're right, I have no idea when you go home or when you are out of service. That's why I asked.

Second, what part of, "...this advice is coming to you from someone with very little respect for Panther," do you not understand? There is no love lost between me and Panther.

Just because I won't rant and ramble on and on about Panther like a madman, calling them names (like you did me, for some inexplicable reason), does not mean that I think Panther is anything other than what I have already stated.

In any case, with your most recent post to me here, it is now quite clear why you managed to only bring in $870 for the month.

See ya!

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Moderaters !!
When you guys going to chime in and end this nonesence bickering !!
Thank God we all have Choices !!!
Please guys...
It is his choice to leave Panther.. For Whatever his reasoning is, it is his choice !!!
Maybe his next company will treat him better or maybe he will have a better attitude and outlook !
Thank God for Choices !!
Thanks...
Don't attack me guys....
Just my oppinion !