Fee Parking at Truck Stops...the new future?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moose brought this up...
Maybe this needs to be addressed on a new page, you decide.
i agree with Albert. free parking will not be the law of the road 10 years from now.
more so, where there's a need for service, there's a business that will provide the service, for a moderate free. with the 50 Gallon of fuel, club members will receive a free shower, and a club member reserved parking space.(and that free coffee- we can only hope!)
maybe the truck electrification/ pug inn solutions can solve this, as the pay for the parking is part of the hourly fee.
also this one issue can push more truckers to get into Expedite looking for a 'parking shelter'.

Over the years costs to operate a truck stop increase....everything goes up for them as well....employee wages, taxes, products.....I think we are somewhat irritated when we "seem" to feel the pinch.....as we are literally hauling loads for the same rates or lower from 10 years ago.... somehow we expect the TS's to stay the same.....

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is the blog where Henry Albert talks about some of these issues.

Team Run Smart Pro

With us we have the ability to eat in the truck, and with Bob's mechanical ability we do not use the shops except for periodical inspections.

We sometimes eat inside, we buy fuel, we take showers, we use the facilities and we use the parking lots. There are a few pay lots but I wonder how far does the minimal fee charged for parking go to cover keeping the lot in good condition, paying all of their expenses and taxes?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I don't have a problem with pay to park. Paticularily if it provided me a nicer,safer option.
I don't understand people think a business should build and support a mutimillion dollar facility and they have a "right" to use it for free.
They don't want to pay .20 extra for a pepsi in a place that just provided them a $90,000 parking space for the weekend. And they wonder why the Ma & Pa's can't make it....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't mind paying to park IF the lots were in good repair. It has been my experience that the majority of places that charge to park tend to be the worst, dirtiest, least kept up truck stops.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Since we almost always fuel, shower and eat where we park, and the pay to park truck stops except that as payment, we won't have any problems with them charging. A lot of truck stops are over run with local trucks parking at them while the drivers go home at night. The truck stop makes nothing from them. I can see where they would rather have paying customers using there parking lot.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
LOS is referring to places I believe that charge to park because of lack of competition. They can get away with it.
The Country Girl Bar in Castaic Ca has a $10 pay lot. It gets you a $5 discount in the bar. There is a parking shortage in the area.
The parking fee for non-spenders may be a good thing in the future.

Disclaimer: Although some of my posts would lead one to think I do, I do NO illicit drugs.
I've had one drink in the last 25 years. A toast at my Father's funeral.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Over the years costs to operate a truck stop increase....everything goes up for them as well....employee wages, taxes, products.....I think we are somewhat irritated when we "seem" to feel the pinch.....as we are literally hauling loads for the same rates or lower from 10 years ago.... somehow we expect the TS's to stay the same.....
We don't expect truck stops to do the same, or at least I don't. It's not like the truck stop's revenue has stayed the same because they're still selling 10 cent candy bars and 15 cent soft drinks and 50 cent hot dogs. Those things, plus diesel fuel, are netting them greater profits than 10, 20 and 30 years ago. They aren't spending money to upgrade restrooms and showers because those things are money losers, lemme tell ya.

moose

Veteran Expediter
at least if one owns the truck, it is tax deductible.

I was pinged by the IRS years ago for a assuming exactly that!
one question you will have to ask is, was the spending needed for the sobriety of the business.
in most cases it will,
but i paid to secured 2 trucks while snow-birding in Israel for a few weeks.
in another case i secured a rig in Old-Jersey while going into 'the city' to visit my family.
another example is pay to park in an unsecured lot we have here in town. i once used that while going home.
not a cut deal when it comes to the IRS. took some digging & 'Xplaining to do.
the IRS dose NOT clearly understand all the needed spending we have to make only to be in full compliance with the DOT reg.
it helps a lot (pone intended!) if the truck is loaded.
i'd caution you to consultant a tax expert before making any assumptions regarding an allowed deduction.
*on a side note,(loaded truck parking vs IRS rules, i think it will fly...) when i go snow birding this winter for 4 weeks, my rig will be secured parked AND loaded. that'll allow me to claim the 'per dim' while vacationing... i will also test drive some European trucks & vans, and blog about it some. that'll allow me to to claim much of the trip as business expenses. ;)

moose

Veteran Expediter
I clearly remember (yet don't think we have any chance of Googling this) the claim truckstops made when the IdleAir money looser (Doh'a Gov. subsidized) closed it's doors the first time, claiming that every spot took on average 1.4 truck parking spaces, which still is the claim. sighting that as a valid rezone for uncovered expenses.
on the other side we seen Love's travel centers expending it's parking capacity's when they introduced the tire service facility's. a total 180* of what pilot F/J AND TA/Petro is doing now PARKING a NATURAL GAS FUELING STATIONS where trucks used to park.
for those who do not get it, large carriers are using truck parking shortage to take small business truckers out of business. this is one rezone why the ATA came up with the LNG conference last month in WDC, intentionally making that conference where truck parking is unavailable.

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
You know, I discussed this with my wife the other day after seeing for the bazzilionth time an empty field across the highway from our house. It has access to both east and westbound I70 and has been for sale forever. My idea.....a truck stop, but not just any truck stop. I'm talking the truck stop of the future.....

Imagine, parking spaces with islands on either side, with RV style hookups for shore power. Wide isles between parking rows for easy maneuvering. All wrapped around a 10+lane fuel island, with small laundry/shower facility on site and hourly shuttle service to the local Walmart shopping center. Now imagine all that surrounded by a 6 foot tall chainlink fence, complete with military base style razor wire on top, and a BIG WIDE GATE with 24 hour security services. All of that, for a measly 10-20 bucks a night. (That would include a shower and one round trip on the shuttle)

How many people would actually use a site like that if it were available? I know it sounds kinda nice to me, but its got its drawbacks too.....I'm just not seeing them, maybe someone has the capital to do something like that or is already doing it? What would you want in your "dream" truckstop?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
As long as the pay to park can be offset by a reasonable amount of purchases, it's not so bad. I would still use a free parking ts if available just to avoid the little bit of hassle.

My hometown in AR was always plagued by lack of truck parking, especially on the weekends. Lots of folks in that area make a living driving a truck. The city actually built a fairly decent sized lot on some vacant city owned land in the industrial park area. It will probably park 40-50 trucks at max capacity...gravel lot with a concrete footing flush with the ground on one side for dropping loaded trailers (the concrete footing prevents the landing gear from sinking).

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You know, I discussed this with my wife the other day after seeing for the bazzilionth time an empty field across the highway from our house. It has access to both east and westbound I70 and has been for sale forever. My idea.....a truck stop, but not just any truck stop. I'm talking the truck stop of the future.....

Imagine, parking spaces with islands on either side, with RV style hookups for shore power. Wide isles between parking rows for easy maneuvering. All wrapped around a 10+lane fuel island, with small laundry/shower facility on site and hourly shuttle service to the local Walmart shopping center. Now imagine all that surrounded by a 6 foot tall chainlink fence, complete with military base style razor wire on top, and a BIG WIDE GATE with 24 hour security services. All of that, for a measly 10-20 bucks a night. (That would include a shower and one round trip on the shuttle)

How many people would actually use a site like that if it were available? I know it sounds kinda nice to me, but its got its drawbacks too.....I'm just not seeing them, maybe someone has the capital to do something like that or is already doing it? What would you want in your "dream" truckstop?

I would use that truckstop. I have no problem paying for services that are provided. I wouldn't even have a problem with the reserved parking if they only used a few spots for Platinum members or waived the fee for purchasing 100 gallons of fuel. If they were at least honest about their motives of wanting to make money rather than pretending they are doing it for the driver I could understand. I have no problem with them having the lots that you have to pay or purchase something and actually wish they had more if them. It at least gives me some option and helps keep the deadbeats out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What would you want in your "dream" truckstop?

This is a question probably best suited for big-rig drivers. For Diane and me in a straight truck, the things we might desire in a dream truck stop vary too much with time and circumstance to expect to find them in a truck stop, no matter how dreamy.

We don't always feel the need for a quiet rest. When we're running and then our need is good fuel at the lowest possible price, available on route. When sleep only is needed a quiet parking place that is safe from other trucks running into us is everything we want and need at the moment. Shore power would be nice everywhere we park, but we park in a lot of places. A dream truck stop might provide wide spaces, with little green yards, a water hydrant and quiet time rules. RV parks already do that and when we seek such things, it's to the parks we go. Some truck stops have fitness rooms which we are glad to see, but now belonging to a fitness club, we don't use them and go to the clubs instead where the equipment is nicer and more abundant.

In a straight truck, it's not about finding the best truck stops. It's about using the flexibility and maneuverability a straight truck provides to meet whatever needs and fulfill whatever desires you have at the time.

You could build the greatest truck stop on earth with every feature we might ever want or need, but we may only visit it a couple times a year because the freight takes us elsewhere.

If I was going to dream up a great truck stop, I would do it with big rigs in mind, which means easy parking. I'd include an area where drivers could work on their trucks, including do-it-yourself oil changes if they wish. Tool rental would be available on site. I would include a community kitchen and/or grills so drivers could get together to cook their own meals and enjoy each other's company. Indoor seating and outdoor lawn chairs and tables would be made available for such events.

Oh yeah ... people who pee in the parking lot would be made to clean it up with their tongues. Or, since parking lot peeing is such a popular passtime among truckers, maybe include outdoor littering areas for that purpose. Each paved parking space could have a gravel pad built into it for people in need to use. Sadly, even if truck stops did that, drivers would still go where they wanted to go.

When you spend dozens of hours a week dirving, you get a lot of time to think. I have not daydreamed about the ideal truck stop but have mulled over (not seriously) the idea of an extended stay park for truckers. It would be a kind of home away from home with small cabins and truck parking next to each. There would be a truck wash bay and maintenance area with tools available. The park would have a few cars that drivers could rent or rental cars would be otherwise available. In addition to the private space and facilities the cabins provide (showers, laundry, kitchens), community space would be there for those who wanted to gather for food and fellowship. Cabins could be rented by the week, maybe a month.

Just a daydream.

Last edited:

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey don't forget the Harley Davidson bike rental they eould make A foutune at the truckstops.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive often thought of what are the necessary amenities and how much room, security, QUIET ZONE, and shuttles etc, someone will build it and they will come, it wont be outside any large city as land or property is too expensive, but why not have these things, the cabins are a great idea, small BBQ pit, fridge, TV, maybe a pool, shower, hot tub etc...laundry service, Ive often thought a drop off laundry would be a great service, or a food delivery, Grocery delivery where a small menu is provided and the list is faxed or emailed and services go into motion....its definetly something I think will come about some time....having a Urine dump in several places where the bottles could be emptied and rinsed, etc....why not place several small restroom facilities around a truck stops lot...but cleaning and maintaining them would be a priority, lots of good ideas, maybe the CHAINS will take some hints.....SERVICES are the money maker....QUIET ZONE would be my ideal thing, I get so annoyed at the SUPER TRUCKERS who zoom into a aisle, then let the jake brake chatter wake everyone up only to zoom off , these guys need to have the exhaust pipe run straight into the cab and weld the doors shut.....morons.....its another reason I seek out the walmart, lowes, HD etc or a park etc as you can get some undisturbed rest, and the newbies dont hit your truck, or the lazy untrained drivers who attempt to do blind side backing.....maybe a valet to park your truck from the fuel island, theres lots of guys who cant back into an aisle spot, i see it daily...

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
in the 70's they had valet parking-one would pull into the fuel island-your truck would be fueled and parked while u went in and ate-showered. would you do that today ? I would not. I 'll pay when in a bad area, or when there is no other options. after driving a big boy-I still park in the truck lots-not on someones private property where we have have no business being there. In payed lots with security-why are lot lizards, begggers, panhandlers,sellers, cars,allowed to run around unoticed by truck stop and security? I don't want to pay to be harrassed.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There are a few pay lots but I wonder how far does the minimal fee charged for parking go to cover keeping the lot in good condition, paying all of their expenses and taxes?

You need wonder no more. These operations are not hurting for money. The question is not how much can they afford to put into parking lot maintenance and pay all of their expenses and taxes. The question is, how much money do they choose to put into their facilities?

From the Nov 1-14 issue of The Trucker:

"Operating truck stops is a great business as demonstrated by the arrival of Tom and Judy Love and Jimmy Haslam to the Forbes 400, The Richest People in America.

"The Loves' net worth, estimated to be $3.5 billion (ranked No. 113) is derived from Loves Travel Stops and Country Stores...."

"Haslams net worth of $1.2 billion (No. 360) is based on his 21 percent interest in Pilot Flying J ...."

Jimmy Haslam recently paid a rumored $1 billion to purchase the NFL's Cleveland Browns. That's $1 billion that could have gone into parking lot maintenance if that choice had been made.

Do not think, even for a minute, that these truck stop companies are struggling to meet expenses. They are highly sophisticated, well-managed operations doing quite well.

Flying J did not fail and then get bought out by Pilot because it was not making money. It failed because of major management blunders. The marketplace has a way of punishing such blunders and rewarding good managers. There is a boat load of money to be made in the truck stop business and the majors (TA/Petro, Pilot/Flying J, Loves) are making it.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
At the TA in Wheeling, WV there are about 10 spaces blocked off for reserved parking. The rest of this truck stop is full and trucks are double and triple parking. Not one of the reserved spaces is occupied. I guess they would rather park dangerously than pay the fee. I hope TA gives up on this new program soon.

Last edited: