FedExcc cdl?

FedExHD31

Seasoned Expediter
I was wondering why does FedExcc want you to have a cdl for a cargo van? Are all companies like this? Is there anyway to get started without having a cdl?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A lot are, and it should be. Much of it has to do with insurance reasons and some of it has to do with company policies over reduction of cost and management of the fleet.

One thing that many MANY forget, FedEx's policies are not just made by CC but by the big house in Memphis and they are not Panther, E-1 or even like LEAM.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A CDL w/hazmat endorsement is required by FECC. If other companies do not haul hazmat they may not require a CDL.

guido4475

Not a Member
A lot are, and it should be. Much of it has to do with insurance reasons and some of it has to do with company policies over reduction of cost and management of the fleet.

One thing that many MANY forget, FedEx's policies are not just made by CC but by the big house in Memphis and they are not Panther, E-1 or even like LEAM.

Why, oh Master Of Great Knowledge,(lol) do you think vans should require a cdl to operate?

I don't think vans should be allowed to carry any type of hazourdous materials, though.

I can understand somewhat that some companies require that due to their ins. co's requirements, even though I dont see what difference it makes on an un-regulated vehicle.

All this is doing is drawing more attention to the DOT in the way of more rules and regs possible in the near future regarding cargo vans, which would be hard to do.Imagine retired gram and gramps in their Roadtrek van rv getting pulled over. or Joe the plumber,Bob the florist,Scooby Doo and Shaggy in the Mystery machine,Cheech and Chong on their way from Flint to Miami on a drug run,etc.How are they going to regulate all the vans being used for so many diffent uses?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
well if were regulating I would have all vans that interstate to be marked with US DOT # in plain sight...
the locals don't need one or grandma.

The plumbers would be marked "not for hire"

it would not be that hard...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know two people who decided against buying a van and getting into expedite, simply because they didn't want to have to get a CDL. That alone is reason enough to require a CDL, to keep the riff raff out of the business, and I never told either of them that there are plenty of carriers out there who do not require CDLs.

I think drivers of passenger cars and trucks should be required to get a CDL, or at least take the same test. There's a lot of information in the CDL test that wouldn't hurt all drivers to be knowledgeable of. (My English teacher just threw up).

The same holds true for the HAZMAT endorsement, everyone should take that test, whether you haul HAZMAT or not. It will let you understand the realities behind the placards on those trucks you are so mindlessly cutting in front of on the highway.

Another reason for having a CDL is that you won't get kicked out of a Flying J Driver's Lounge (although once Pilot gets their hands on them, that'll be a moot point, since the Driver's Lounges will become fast food joints).

Being in a van and having a CDL makes you more aware of a lot of things, and in a few cases makes you more professional. That's not to say that those without CDLs aren't professional, because some are, or to say that having a CDL will make you one, because some aren't, but it does have an effect of those who have them.

guido4475

Not a Member
I know two people who decided against buying a van and getting into expedite, simply because they didn't want to have to get a CDL. That alone is reason enough to require a CDL, to keep the riff raff out of the business, and I never told either of them that there are plenty of carriers out there who do not require CDLs.

I think drivers of passenger cars and trucks should be required to get a CDL, or at least take the same test. There's a lot of information in the CDL test that wouldn't hurt all drivers to be knowledgeable of. (My English teacher just threw up).

The same holds true for the HAZMAT endorsement, everyone should take that test, whether you haul HAZMAT or not. It will let you understand the realities behind the placards on those trucks you are so mindlessly cutting in front of on the highway.

Another reason for having a CDL is that you won't get kicked out of a Flying J Driver's Lounge (although once Pilot gets their hands on them, that'll be a moot point, since the Driver's Lounges will become fast food joints).

Being in a van and having a CDL makes you more aware of a lot of things, and in a few cases makes you more professional. That's not to say that those without CDLs aren't professional, because some are, or to say that having a CDL will make you one, because some aren't, but it does have an effect of those who have them.

I agree with you 100%,Mr Turtle.But even though I agee,I still dont think that vans ahould be regulated in this way by the carriers, even though the DOT does not require this.Does this make any sense, what I am trying to say?LOL.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Yha , but where dose it ends ?
CPR training ?
van will be regulated , not because there is a safety needs for it ,but because of the control freaks .
may it be a corporate , a state of federal employee , a running up senator , or a washed out dot officer.
next thing you know Georgia require a HWY watch certificate for CDL renewals .
just be careful what you wish for.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thank you great shelled one, your statement should be put into the Expediters hall of education.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree with you 100%,Mr Turtle.But even though I agee,I still dont think that vans ahould be regulated in this way by the carriers, even though the DOT does not require this.Does this make any sense, what I am trying to say?LOL.
Yeah, I know exactly what you are saying, and I agree. But I also understand the concept of CYA, and that's what carriers are doing. It's kind of like, if you have a couple of moving violations each year, year in and year out, the chances are that you're going to continue to do that. Why should a carrier bring you on when there are other people out there who don't do that year in and year out, and who aren't as likely to accumulate more moving violations?

There are exceptions, of course, like me, where I was getting 1-2 speeding tickets a year, every year, right up until I got 3 in one day, all within a couple of hours. That was 19 years ago. OK, the red Camaro probably didn't help, I got rid of that and got a soccer mommy van, grew up a little, and haven't a ticket since (other than that one "commercial vehicle on a Parkway" nonsense out on Coney Island, but in my defense, I used to live in Jersey, and that's how you go to the airport :D ).

It's the same with CDLs and HAZMAT endorsements, where experience shows, more often than not, those who have them actually do know their aѕѕ from a hole in the ground, whereas, more often than not, those without them do not. If you have a choice between the "probably knows" and the "probably don't knows", the "probably knows" wins, because they will be more likely to have fewer violations and accidents that will negatively impact the carrier.