FedEx Representatives Address Open Forum Topics

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In recent months, a number of topics have prompted a number of conversations here in the Open Forum. They include how FedEx Surface Expedite Network (announced at the 2006 Louisville truck show) will affect contractors and contractor pay, FedEx Custom Critical's plans to expand its fleet size to 1,800 (announced in March 2006), FedEx's purchase of Watkins and the impact that might have on contractors, and speculation that FedEx Custom Critical may be spun off or absorbed into another FedEx operating company.

In December, I was able to interview four FedEx Custom Critical representatives about those Open Forum-generated topics. See:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/article_005543.html

Dispatched

Not a Member
RE: FedEx Representatives Address Open Forum Topic

Thanks A-Team

Enlightening information, even for those of us not driving for fedex.

Hopefully, our esteemed moderators WON'T go out of their way to bash you for linking to your literary work.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

>Thanks A-Team
>
>Enlightening information, even for those of us not driving
>for fedex.
>
>Hopefully, our esteemed moderators WON'T go out of
>their way to
bash you for linking to your literary
>work.

They will. Just watch. I have hoped for better behavior for three years but it has never come. The desire to help others by providing useful information and positive feedback received here and privately keeps me going.

Dispatched

Not a Member

>They will. Just watch.

Unfortunatly, you were correct. I expected that type of response from the usual clan, but not from her. And thats a shame.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Phil,
Thanks for the info, it is informative to a point and I am not going to bash you for your efforts.

But rather I am asking what these questions that were asked are and what wasn’t asked which are more important. I know there must have been restrictions what you can ask and how you ask it, one reason is because you are a FedEx contractor and the other is FedEx is just like any big business who have automatic damage control prevention in place when giving interviews.

A few of us wonder why Jeff didn’t do the interview because of the neutrality he has and that should take place in any interview (in many of our opinions). You may appear to this group that you represent us through the questions or pattern of questions being asked, which you do not represent the average contractor (you are truly above that – yes that is a compliment) and this may be taken as input from us. This is nothing to do with your writing style or you.

and what happened to Cheri's comments?

ATeam

Retired Expediter

>Phil,

>But rather I am asking what these questions that were asked
>are and what wasn’t asked which are more important. I know
>there must have been restrictions what you can ask and how
>you ask it, one reason is because you are a FedEx contractor
>and the other is FedEx is just like any big business who
>have automatic damage control prevention in place when
>giving interviews.

I arranged this interview myself. Diane and I were at FedEx Custom Critical HQ for TVAL training and truck certification, which takes a couple days. It seemed like a good time to do some writing and since I was that close I decided to write about FedEx. My interview request was quickly granted with no restrictions whatsoever on the kind of questions I could or coult not ask.

There were a couple questions I asked that they refused to answer, as stated in the interview; "Due to competitive information and customer confidentiality, FedEx could not give specific freight-volume numbers or specific customer examples of freight going onto FedEx Custom Critical trucks. " Their responses or lack of them seemed fair to me. I could ask anything I wished. The would answer as they wished.

EO is not the New York Times or Washington Post. I am a truck driver first and a writer just for the fun of it. I did not go into that interview to play investigative reporter, gottchya journalism, or to scoop other trucking industry news sources. I used my spare time, and the time FedEx exeuctives gave me to address certain topics that had come up in the open forum in recent months. My idea was to bring information here from authroitative sources that might help Open Forum readers better understand the topics raised.

>A few of us wonder why Jeff didn’t do the interview
>because of the neutrality he has and that should take place
>in any interview (in many of our opinions).

The potential confilict of interest is acknowledged and thus disclosed in the final paragraph of the story.

You may appear
>to this group that you represent us through the questions or
>pattern of questions being asked, which you do not represent
>the average contractor (you are truly above that – yes
>that is a compliment) and this may be taken as input from
>us. This is nothing to do with your writing style or you.

Your last comment confuses me. Bringing questions and comments that are publicly posted on the Open Forum to FedEx people does not mean I represent Open Forum participants. Given the treatment I receive here from some, the last thing I would want to be is an Open Forum representative, real or perceived.

The piece was written with it's information value to the EO community in mind, not with my role in it. I just happened to be the one to write it because it seemed like a worthwhile project to do while I was killing time at FedEx.

I would love to see similar pieces written about Panther, Landstar Express America, Tristate, Bolt, and all the other expedite carriers written by drivers who are so inclined. You can be sure that if I had some time to kill in Seville, Ohio, I'd be knocking on Panther's door for an interview there too.

Maybe Leo or DaveKC could save me the trouble and do such an interview themselves. A lot of concerns about Panther have come up in recent months in the Open Forum including dispatch procedures, the Conway NOW purchase, fleet size questions, freight availability, the Panther public offering and more. Wouldn't it be nice if someone (preferably a Panther driver) took those issues to Panther officials and wrote it about it on EO?

>and what happened to Cheri's comments?

I suspect her better nature got ahold of her and she deleted the comments. Only Cheri can say.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter

Very interesting interview to read. The question I always had with my FedEx time is if they are so proud of Custom Critical as part of the FedEx family, why are CC contractors not treated to the same perks as contractors at the other FedEx divisions? That question has been brought up to CC representatives, to the tune of, "We are working on it." As far as the question about CC being absorbed or taken over by another company, one can't forget that CC was originally a company that was taken over by FedEx- you always have to be ready for surprises out there. Mudflap

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Anything new for Panther drivers is available on the drivers web page. There would be little value to repeat the same information doing a interview.
As something new comes along that might be of interest to all, it is reported here on EO.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter

"Your last comment confuses me. Bringing questions and comments that are publicly posted on the Open Forum to FedEx people does not mean I represent Open Forum participants. Given the treatment I receive here from some, the last thing I would want to be is an Open Forum representative, real or perceived."

Sorry Phil, I guess what I am trying to say is that even though the article is informative and such, the representation is not of the forum that I base my concerns on but as a representative of FedEx contractors in general - or in other words the questions coming from you opposed to Jeff could be construed by some at FedEx as a feedback mechanism to FedEx.

Maybe I misunderstood completely but anywho..... back to work....

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter

>As
>far as the question about CC being absorbed or taken over by
>another company, one can't forget that CC was originally a
>company that was taken over by FedEx- you always have to be
>ready for surprises out there. Mudflap

Which leads me to wonder, if FedEx were just going to undermine the CC division in the first place, why did they buy that company?

davebeckym

Expert Expediter

Fedex has been buying and building. I don't see any selling in the near future. These rumours always come up when things are slow. Same with Panther. They have been buying and building.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

>Which leads me to wonder, if FedEx were just going to
>undermine the CC division in the first place, why did they
>buy that company?
-----------------------------

At the time, Fedex bought Roberts Express as part of a package deal with Roadway. Not that Fedex didn't care about Roberts, but IMO their eyes were set on aquiring RPS, now Fedex Ground among other things.

Any folks involved during that time may choose to affirm or contradict this, but I think it's pretty close to the truth judging from the press surrounding "the RPS buyout" at the time.

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Mudflap

Expert Expediter

I'll confirm the timing on that takever/transition.
ATeam, your being an editor on this site and looking to use the forum as a source of information for your topics, don't you think it is a little uncool to come back and cut down the very forum you used as the source of your interview topics? If you are feeling the heat in the kitchen, there is probably a reason for that.

EO management: Are other EO members allowed to link to their own websites or other places to show their truck specs and photos?
Mudflap

Mudflap

Expert Expediter

As this amazingly surpassed the 15 minute deletion I expected, how about taking the latter part of this topic, adressing open forum topics, and talking about fairness among forum members as hinted in my last paragraph. Such as one can be a site field editor using forum topics for articles (nothing wrong with that) but then coming back and knocking the forums in general implying an embarassment to belong to them in public, and knocking those who question him in any way? And then at one time his wife saying credentials and signatures were rediculous, yet the team seems to be king of that now even including links to their own credentials and truck in that signature? Rediculous.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Lighten up, Mudflap. People are allowed to change their minds.

Regarding my personal, non-commercial web site, kindly note that it has numerous links pointing to EO and no links pointing to any other expediting site. I spoke to Lawrence about this long before I put my site up and everything is cool.

Lawrence knows that mine is a non-commercial endeavor. It is a hobby site that does not in any way seek to compete with EO for sponsor support or revenue. Structured as it is, I believe it is a site that drives new traffic to EO that EO would not otherwise have.

There is an irony in all of this. I started www.SuccessfulExpediters.com out of frustration with comments like yours. I grew tired of having my posts here in the Open Forum continually diminished by the usual suspects so I started a web site of my own where I could publish in peace.

By the way, EO is no longer the leading referral source for my site. It has been picked up by the search engines and people are now finding their way to it from all over. If I got serious about building traffic to my site, I would employ a few search engine tricks and might even send Google a check.

There is no need for that now. As I said, I write for the fun of it, not for profit. While all writers have an interest in building an audience, I am content to let readership grow on its own and focus instead on further developing the site.

The latest addition is a photo section. You can view our new photo gallery at:
http://www.successfulexpediters.com/MadsenPhotoGallery.htm

Enjoy the photos, Mudflap. I will expect to hear the usual negative feedback from you telling me and the world what is wrong with them.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

>>As
>>far as the question about CC being absorbed or taken over by
>>another company, one can't forget that CC was originally a
>>company that was taken over by FedEx- you always have to be
>>ready for surprises out there. Mudflap
>
>
>Which leads me to wonder, if FedEx were just going to
>undermine the CC division in the first place, why did they
>buy that company

roberts express happened to be with the rest of caliber,fed ex actually only wanted rps,but in order to get rps,they had to take all of caliber,they had no idea the structure or earning of roberts,in fact when first took over,we lost many customers,and was difficult getting them back

custom critical will survive,even if sold off again,but I dont think this is going to happen,we may be a foot note,but,a very profitable one

ATeam

Retired Expediter

One additional thought, Mudflap. Instead of continually running my posts into the ground and attacking my motives, why don't you do something more positive instead.

There are dozens of high-traffic venues online where you could post expediting stories and photos of your own. Web site development skills are not required. Blogging is all the rage these days. If you think Diane and I are having too much fun as expediters and giving reports that are too rose-colored, why don't you share some stories of your own that tells the world how expedting really is.

Notwithstanding the fact that I write about the down side of expedting too (See: "Marooned! Our First Bad Week" at http://www.successfulexpediters.com/Madsen/MadsenStory014c.htm) readers could absolutely benefit from stories written by an experienced expediter like yourself.

I will help. After you start your blog, I will write a line of code for you to insert in your EO signature. That will provide a link to your writings like you see in my signature.

You could help EO by doing this. Just include references to EO in your blog. The more EO users are talking about EO on other web sites, the more new users will come here.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Why is everyone so down on each other anymore. Phil has his own web page and it does have links to EO just like I have my own web page that has links to EO. Does that make us a bad people, No. I'm putting a link to mine up here so people can see it and they can make their own and make their own web page if they want too, because you can do it free.

Then everyone can look at your webpage and see your truck pictures and your story on your time in this business. If you want to start your own free web page for your business click on mine then you can click on a link to start you own free web page.
It was fun to do. I hope everyone can do it.

http://www.freewebs.com/mayfieldexpress/mayfieldexpressalbum.htm

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical
13 years as an O/O in Expediting.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Just as a matter of confirmation, Phil does happen to have permission to link to his own site in his sig. Normally we do not allow this, but his site is NOT a similar site to ours, and in fact is designed with blogging in mind. Also, it is not a COMMERCIAL site, which in fact would be against our rules.

Anyone is welcome also to have a link to specs or pics about their trucks. For example, you will notice several folks have links to their myspace.com pages in their links.

Regardless of personal opinions about posts here, I think most can agree that Phil usually turns out some well written articles. Also, his blogs, while obviously too long to be posted here usually, could be very informative to other white collar workers considering a change to this lifestyle.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"Good will, like a good name, is achieved by many actions and lost by one."

Zig Ziglar

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

I would have to agree with you Dreamer. All the fighting on this site and the shots at each other needs to stop. I went to tell someone about EO and they already knew of this site and they called this site Drama Central. I was shocked. I think this it a great site and everyone like DaveKc,RichM,TerryandRene,Dreamer,Ateam,Leo,Coco,Linda and Bob Caffee,Moot,Doggydaddy,Greg,Lawrence, and many more has a lot to offer everyone.

Sorry Dreamer for putting up that link if you want I will remove it.

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical
13 years as an O/O in Expediting.