FedEx Ground may go union

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Well as long as we are bringing up old subjects this may as well come up too. From an article on EO from jan. 13 2005 under dollars and sense about workers comp and the O/O there was a court case where a O/O who sued his carrier to be covered under the carriers workmens comp. A lawyer claimed that because the carrier (1) dispatched the contractor (2) the contractor displayed the carriers logo on the side of his truck (3) and the contractor was wearing a hat with the carriers logo that the contractor was really an employee and covered under the carriers workmens comp. So while one court rules that your a contractor another rules that your an employee.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in any given state any given judge could rule differently....

I worked for a carrier....that in the contract stated...

I was paid 2% of the gross for the decals on van and 1% for the wearing of the uniform....and since I signed it...they covered their butt good....carriers here could do that...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm with the Shelled Wonder on this one, maybe a locking of threads over 180 days should be done, it can be done with a script on the back end of the forum without impacting us at all.

BUT my concern is still a valid one about why 4 threads and now I noticed one in the exclusive FedEx club section. Phil being the "Editor" of EN should have chimed in on this with his reasoning for posting a canned post in four threads instead of allowing us to speculate.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
BUT my concern is still a valid one about why 4 threads and now I noticed one in the exclusive FedEx club section.
That's the argument in favor of locking older threads, or putting a prohibition in place against doing it. The odd old thread here and there isn't that bid a deal, but when someone systematically bumps up old threads, for whatever reason, there ya go.

ron

Expert Expediter
Look guys, I was sitting in a jeepney in downtown Manila a few yers ago when a police officer motioned the driver to the curb. He hassled the driver for about 10 minutes. Finally, the driver palmed his license to the police officer and there was a 10 peso bill on the back side of the driver's license. The policeman pocketed the money, handed back the licCOUNTRY!!! Why? Because who is going to risk their pension for a short term gain? You don't think this happens in this country? When I first started driving 38yrs years ago I was going to Chicago,one of the ol' timers told me to paper clip a $50.00 bill to the back of my driver's license. When you get stopped the cop takes your license back to the car,removes the cash,comes back,and tells you to "Have a nice day". The cops have the only job I know where you can lie about someone,and get away with it. I was a member of the Teamsters local 406 in 1982,and when the company said the my divorce was effecting my work,which was never proven,and I was terminated. The union steward didn't help me keep the job,even though they had other guys going through the same thing. I found out years later that the union steward,and my ex boss were brother-in-laws ! and they promised my job to the guy who they bribed to testify against me. The owner of the company came up to me on my last day.And I quote"There's a lot of guy I want to get rid of here,but you aren't one of them,but I have to do what the UNION says." When I was delivering to the Ford,GM,and Chrysler plants that were Union,you had to accept the fact that you were going to not get out very fast. They'd unload you when they were ready.

Last edited:

Dog_House2691

Seasoned Expediter
They agreed to the contract as it was written so abide by it or leave.I was a Fed-Ex Home Delivery Driver for three months and it wasnt working so I moved on as my right in this Country.Now they are going to hold Fed-Ex hostage like the U.A.W. is with the Auto Companies! All of the Unions are THUGS...I can say that from experience as I was a Due paying member of the U.A.W. for 30 years,they are a bunch of Lazy,Greedy Thugs that protect the CLUELESS.I also saw the hourly workers being paid 8 hours and going home at lunch time,day after day.The reason was we only have to produce a certain amount of parts per hour,but we can run them in three and go home,and Union Officials and Management knew it and looked the other way.So I dont want to hear the Union members Whining about Management for there LAZINESS.

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
When I wuz a puppy, fresh off the farm, before I were drafted, I worked out a bit at John Deere (UAW), Wilsons (united packing house), an wuz told several times during that period "to slow down some". Seemed to me their pace gave me a side ache, sooo.. I went away.

Anybody that tinks a union is truly needed in this touchy, feeley day is truly misguided.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
During my 2 month career at the Ford Wixom plant, I was told to slow down as well. I guess a sober 18 year old kid made those aging drunks look bad. I had to leave.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Becoming an employee is one. Being a union employee is another. With a slowed economy such as we have now, I don't give it long before the union drives another good company into the dirt. Benefits mean nothing if you're laid off in order to cut expenses.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well if FedEx CC ever goes union, it would be great. You drive their truck, you take their loads without question and you get paid the same amount of money regardless. No more favoritism, no more high paying loads but everyone is equal and it is all fair.