Fedex delivery

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, i sureen that earlier today and was going to post it..but i figured id hear that it was "Home Delivery" and not "Custom Critical..."

LOL, any way the guy is an idiot...:rolleyes:

UncleTed

Not a Member
Had the driver actually checked to see if the customer was home and had actually had gotten a signature, I'll bet, had the monitor come on a pallet, the driver would have refused to take it back with him, had the customer requested him to.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This YouTube video has gone viral. This single act done by an individual driver coming out of a big-logo FedEx van has been viewed by over one million people so far.

There is no telling how many shipping decisions have been made, not against the offending driver, but against the company whose uniform the driver wears. It is just as easy to call UPS to ship a package as it is to call FedEx. I imagine that thousands of customers and potential customers have been influenced toward UPS by this video, not because UPS is a better company, but because this lone FedEx driver was caught on tape and seen by over a million people.

It may also happen that big shippers who ship hundreds or even thousands of consumer products a day via FedEx may, to keep their customers from worrying, offer a FedEx/UPS choice or simply switch to UPS.

Cameras are everywhere these days -- everywhere -- making an American spectator sport of watching people flub up. All of us in the customer service industry will do well to remember that and remember to be on our best behavior at all times.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Yep, and I'll be, somewhere, some FedEx supervisor saw the vid, and the gentleman in question is pounding pavement to find another job at Christmas time :)

Dale

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those Sprinters need lift gates so that the heavy monitors can gently be lowered over the gate to sit outside in the elements.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Why the heck would you just throw it over the fence? Ex-wife's house???? Lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bad for business. There is no excuse for this sort of thing.

This will have a limited effect on FedEx. It will soon die out. Many people have had shipping problems, problems with all shippers. The vast majority of items shipped show up on time and in good shape.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Unemployment doesn't worry him. There's people waiting in line wanting to hire from the top firms. He may be working for YOU by the end of the year.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Picking up on the cameras are everywhere theme, when you view the FedEx video first mentioned in this thread, notice the others that are listed on the right hand side of the YouTube web page; UPS kick, FedEx launches, UPS throws, FedEx fail, etc.

Why the above video went viral and the others did not I do not know. My point is that there are people out there today with cameras just looking for stuff like this so they can post it on YouTube to get page views and have a laugh at other people's expense.

In such a world, the safe way to proceed is to assume that everything you do out in the world is on camera somewhere.

It is not difficult to imagine that the typical lift gate delivery you do is being filmed by someone lurking nearby who is just hoping that you will fall or drop something or do something else that enables that loser to post the video in a pathetic attempt to enhance his or her self esteem by boosting one's page view count, comment numbers and friend requests.

Note that goobie55, the person who posted the video (now with 2,240,000 views -- an increase of over one million overnight) did not send it privately to FedEx so the driver can be dealt with and the company can make things right with the customer. He or she posted it on YouTube for the whole world to see.

While goobie55 had everything he or she needed to to help FedEx deal with the driver and get for himself or herself a good customer service solution, he or she chose to go public instead and publicly humiliate FedEx and one of its drivers.

Be careful out there. People have you on camera too.

Here is an example. Some guy uses YouTube to post a video of a truck tailgating a four wheeler without showing how that situation developed in the first place. He labeled the driver as dangerous without noting that the driver changed lanes to put space between him and the four wheeler. Of course it does not help that the truck driver gave the guy with the camera the finger. But notice the self-righteous attitude of the guy with the camera. Truck safety through communication with the truck company was not the camera guy's goal. Public humiliation of the truck driver was.

Not to belabor the point, but look at this example too. Some guy set up to film and post a video of a truck running a red light. I'm sure he had his reasons for doing so and the reasons made sense to him. And yes, the truck driver was wrong for running the light.

Again, cameras are everywhere. Mind your P's and Q's.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Phil's right on the camera angle. Years ago I had a safety director giving me a road test. I told him i drive everyday like you're siting in that seat. Later, I thought about that comment and said I should pretend he IS sitting in that seat. Since I pretend he's there I believe I've become a better driver.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It should have been posted for everyone to see. If it shakes up the drivers enough to care about how they do the job then so be it. And if it causes a short term loss in business (unlikely) then it's also a good lesson for all. Who knows how it would have been handled at the corporate level.
Don't shoot the messenger.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was on the news last night and they also showed UPS doing the same thing throwing freight around.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It should have been posted for everyone to see. If it shakes up the drivers enough to care about how they do the job then so be it. And if it causes a short term loss in business (unlikely) then it's also a good lesson for all. Who knows how it would have been handled at the corporate level.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Most drivers already care about how they do the job and no carrier I know tolerates behavior like that. Posting a video like that does nothing to change driver behavior because most already do a good job and those who don't won't care. In this case, the messenger did more harm than good.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most drivers already care about how they do the job and no carrier I know tolerates behavior like that. Posting a video like that does nothing to change driver behavior because most already do a good job and those who don't won't care. In this case, the messenger did more harm than good.

If that's the case then why say "mind your P's and Q's?". If the video had never been posted, then your sage wisdom would not have had the opportunity to be shared.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hopefully it is one less careless driver that got caught via video, before he could damage any more deliveries....which is a good thing...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If that's the case then why say "mind your P's and Q's?". If the video had never been posted, then your sage wisdom would not have had the opportunity to be shared.

That is a subordinate benefit. It would have been better if the video had never been posted at all. When a trucker is killed in a serious wreck, we are all reminded to drive safe, but it would have been better if the wreck never happened.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is a subordinate benefit. It would have been better if the video had never been posted at all. When a trucker is killed in a serious wreck, we are all reminded to drive safe, but it would have been better if the wreck never happened.

In this day and age, "a picture is worth a thousand words" has never been more appropriate. Of course it would have been better if the wreck never happened. But a picture of the wreck conveys more of the danger than mere words.