FedEx Custom Critical Rebranding Update

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
FedEx Custom Critical Vehicle Rebranding Update

FedEx Custom Critical is resuming the rebranding process for vehicles beginning Feb. 20. During this rebranding process, two major changes will be made to the way FedEx Custom Critical approaches branding. These changes include logos only being placed on vehicles that meet the FedEx brand standards, and a new branding incentive to be paid to vehicles that meet those brand standards.

Brand Standards
FedEx Custom Critical logos will only be applied to all-white vehicles (cab, box and sleeper) with no additional markings on them. Additional markings include, but are not limited to, stripes, flames, mottos, names, images, bumper stickers or other logos. If there are any additional markings on the vehicle, it will not be considered to meet brand standards.

We are making proactive efforts to have more of our fleet meet the FedEx branding standards for vehicles. Customers expect a consistent experience regardless of what FedEx operating company they use. The appearance of vehicles in the Custom Critical fleet plays a major role in that experience.

Annual Branding Incentive
For vehicles that meet the brand standards, we are instituting a $1,000 annual branding incentive. This incentive will be paid each year at the time of lease renewal. You will need to send in electronic pictures of all four sides of your vehicle to ensure all standards are being met to receive the incentive.

Vehicles Not Meeting Brand Standards
For vehicles that do not meet the brand standards, FedEx Custom Critical will pay to have your decals removed and/or to have your box wrapped in white vinyl. If there is a visible outline of the old logos after the decals are removed, the company will pay to wrap the cargo box. If the old logos can’t be removed easily, we will also wrap the cargo box as needed. FedEx Custom Critical is not, however, obligated to make any of the payments described above unless the decal removal and box wrapping work is performed by a vendor selected by FedEx Custom Critical.

These non-branded vehicles will have DOT numbers and required company information on the door, but will not receive FedEx Custom Critical door signs or the FedEx Custom Critical decals on the cargo box. Also, we will not have vehicles carrying door signs only as we move forward. You will need to have the full set of large logos on the box or van to receive the logo door signs.

Scheduling a Decal Installation or Removal
We plan to have the fleet rebranding process finished by the end of the 2012 calendar year. Our first two installation locations will be in Atlanta and Akron, Ohio. To set up a time to have your logos installed (or removed), please contact Tom Lindberg or the Contractor Relations team.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, now there's a reason to put the signs on. Guess I'll be doing that when possible.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
This means that by the end of the year I must have my billboards removed and give up the additional pay I received for having them, and I can't get the bonus pay since my truck is not "brand standard." Why do I feel that I am being pushed out bit by bit?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I thInk everyone lost their 1/2 percent for signs when the last lease was signed

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I think a lease I looked at 2 weeks ago would have me pay $250 for signage and no compensation. Will call Monday to see if anything changes under the rebranding. $250 to get a grand a year back is not a bad deal. Hopefully the $250 will disappear.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I'm actually happy with this policy. Fed's been pushing for all white trucks for years but this will finally give owners the incentive to do so. I agree with their policy of not putting their logos on a truck that doesn't "look" like a fed truck- especially in cases where people made statements with their trucks for religious, political, or other reasons. The FedEx name has an image to uphold, just like UPS, Wal-Mart, or any other large company. They are trying to balance a fine line between image standards and, well, the quirks and personal freedoms of the o/o. I say this however, while personally feeling the plain white straight trucks look hideous. The giant box logos make them look a little nicer, though.
We will not be painting our truck or receiving the money. I like being incognito :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This new 'branding' does not include the "ATA' stickers we see on the back of FedEx Freight trailers does it? I think it would not be in my best interest to advertise for an organization that is not looking out for my best interest. Too bad FedEx is a part of that bunch. Something else to consider.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
We drive one of the red Kenworths, so I guess the logos will be coming off our truck at some point. We will be sorry to see them go. When Phil was still with FedEx CC, he mentioned several times that driving a truck with the big FedEx logo had subtle benefits, and this has been our experience. When people see our truck, they see a "FedEx" truck, not some random truck. They know the brand, and as a result, may tend to maybe give us a break. I know of at least two occasions where we were allowed in an area normally off limits to "regular trucks", just because we were in a "FedEx" truck. Not saying anything against other expedite companies, but FedEx does have the name recognition other companies just can't match.

Really wish FedEx would reconsider this change in policy.

I also wonder how this will affect non-white tractors pulling company trailers?

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I first read this memo I was wondering how it will effect the Expediter Services vehicles. They have so many signed on. On our little van this is a non item. We can use the extra grand. It just goes in the savings account. Some of the graphics on the larger units look good to me but I can understand the changes.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Get in line for the new trucks Expedite Services has ordered! They are very nice and they are white.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
I thInk everyone lost their 1/2 percent for signs when the last lease was signed

Trucks which had been receiving the bonus percentage continued as "grandfathered." If I had replaced my truck, and therefore executed a new contract (new truck #, etc.) the new contract would have not included the pay. It also would not have required me to pay to put the decals on as I did when I joined the company 7 years ago.

It would be nice to be able to afford a new all white truck (although I agree with another comment that they're not the most appealing to look at... very bland), but I don't see the economics supporting payments on $200K+.

At this point I guess my goal is to be the last truck still running blue. Who knows what after that.

aimeejos

Active Expediter
I also wonder how this will affect non-white tractors pulling company trailers?

I wonder that myself... I drive a burnt orange Western Star.
I haven't seen any information about the trailers being redone. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have done some checking on this and have found out the following information:

Those that were grandfathered in and still receive the 1/2 will continue to receive the 1/2 percent regardless of color of the cab or markings. The signs on these trucks will be removed at the companies expense.

Those that did lose the 1/2 percent and make less then $200,000 gross a year will make more with the $1000 bonus.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess this means we are going to have to remove our "E.O." bumper sticker on the back. Too bad, it has helped us to meet members when out on the road.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess this means we are going to have to remove our "E.O." bumper sticker on the back. Too bad, it has helped us to meet members when out on the road.

Yes, and that's really kind of stupid, along with not allowing an OOIDA membership sticker.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I first read this memo I was wondering how it will effect the Expediter Services vehicles. They have so many signed on. On our little van this is a non item. We can use the extra grand. It just goes in the savings account. Some of the graphics on the larger units look good to me but I can understand the changes.

Upon further reflection: We carry blank magnetic signs to cover up the current logo's when we visit some friends in a gated community cuz they won't let "commercial vehicles" park over night. So guess we won't get the extra $$$. These must be thousand dollar friends.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Upon further reflection: We carry blank magnetic signs to cover up the current logo's when we visit some friends in a gated community cuz they won't let "commercial vehicles" park over night. So guess we won't get the extra $$$. These must be thousand dollar friends.

Why wouldn't you get the $?