FEDEX CC folks

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Also, if recruiting didn't make you aware of it, you will not be able to buy a truck and get into a WG slot immediately as there is a waiting list.

There are used trucks that sometimes are sold in the EO classifieds that come with a WG slot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Don't count on a used truck having a White Glove 'slot'. We were already a White Glove team when we bought our truck. We bought a truck that was already in the fleet. It took six months to get back into White Glove and a TON of BS to go through.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Don't count on a used truck having a White Glove 'slot'. We were already a White Glove team when we bought our truck. We bought a truck that was already in the fleet. It took six months to get back into White Glove and a TON of BS to go through.

I was under the impression that if the owner selling the used truck was NOT replacing the used truck with a new one, then the truck would still have a slot in WG.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was under the impression that if the owner selling the used truck was NOT replacing the used truck with a new one, then the truck would still have a slot in WG.

Not when we bought our truck. I have NO idea if that has changed. I would not be willing to include that idea in my business plan.

Deville

Not a Member
FedEx Custom Critical allows dogs in its trucks but not in their White Glove trucks. Most other expedite carriers allow dogs in their trucks, and some of those serve the very same customers FedEx Custom Critical does.

Diane and I run with Landstar Express America and dogs are allowed in all trucks. When a customer prohibits dogs, the agents who dispatch our freight know it and make sure they put dog-free trucks on such loads. At Landstar, there is no such thing as a White Glove truck or team or service. But many of the very same customers call both carriers for trucks. Beyond the loss of certain freight opportunities because certain customers prohibit dogs, there is no bias or rule against dogs in trucks at Landstar.

Note that the FedEx dog rules are not cut and dry. It has happened many times that a non-White Glove (Surface Expedite) truck that has a dog in it gets dispatched on a White Glove load (a load that requires certain equipment or driver credentials). This happens when a customer has no anti-dog rules and a FedEx White Glove truck is not available. Ask the Caffee's about that. They ran a truck with a dog in it and forfeited their eligibility to be a White Glove truck and team because of it. Yet they have done White Glove loads because dispatch needed to cover them and the Caffee's had the needed training and equipment.

The story is the same with several other FedEx contractors we know. I mention the Caffee's because they are prominent on EO and have talked in the Open Forum about doing White Glove loads with a dog in their truck.

You are new to the industry so let me mention that "White Glove" is used in different ways by different carriers.

FedEx has a line of services that they brand "White Glove." They also designate drivers as White Glove qualified and trucks as White Glove equipped. Other carriers use the term differently. They may do the same kind of work for the very same customers at the very same pay (or maybe even better) but have no term for it at all. Another variant is Panther Elite (do I have that term right?). That's Panther's version of teams and trucks that have certain capabilities and equipment (HAZMAT trained, lift gate, etc.).

Changing the subject a bit, allow me to add that a big red flag went up for me when you said that you and your wife are getting ready to come into some money and plan to buy a truck.

My advice is DON'T! At least not yet. Get into a fleet owner's truck first and learn the business with it. More importantly, learn exactly what you want in a truck before buying one of your own. If you buy a truck first and then hit the road, it is virtually certain that you will wish you spec'ed something different. If you spend some time in a fleet owner's truck and talk to other expediters on the road about their trucks, you will have a much better idea of what you really want and the money you spend will be better spent.

This post is dead on. You can have a truck speced like a white glove truck & still get white glove work. I get white glove work on a semi regular basis because like Ateam said in there post when they no one else is around & you are dispacth will call you. I take my pup on the road all the time. He's my pal. But because I am home just about every night I also have the option of leaving him at home if I have to. Quite frankly, I think the cat misses him when he isn't around for a few days.

Deville

Not a Member

I don't think that is correct. From what I remember you had to be Surface expedite for 6 months with a 98% on time rating, 0 prevetable accidnets, & no moving violations. Than you went on a waiting list.

I know for a fact that if the truck was leased as a FDCC white glove unit there is no gurantee that it will be allowed back in. The service history of the truck factors in as well.

Now things have changed very much the past few years at FDCC. These polices may not be in effect any more.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
jbrand, the White Glove list has been mentioned in this thread. Note how the information about it differs depending on who talks about it.

That was how it was when Diane and I were with the company. We got flagged as White Glove contractors before we hauled our first load with FedEx Custom Critical, and we had no previous trucking experience of any kind. Our fleet owner of the time leaned on FedEx to help make that happen. We did our part by stopping in the office for an interview as we traveled to get into the fleet owner's truck. It also helped that our fleet owner had a WG truck immediatly available for us to get into.

In the years we were there, we heard similar stories. We also heard from drivers who complained bitterly about being on the list for a long time, meeting all qualifications as they understood them, and being passed over but still being kept on the list. The other people we heard from were those who complained bitterly that the carrier would instantly flag a team like us that had no experience whatsoever. Those folks believed strongly in the White Glove notion and believed that you should have to earn your way into that status by demonstrating good work and professionalism.

It will take some digging, but you can learn more about the White Glove list by reading older posts in the FedEx Custom Critical Forum. It has been over a year since Diane and I changed carriers so I can no longer speak from first-hand experience about the White Glove list. However, no present FedEx contractor has said anything to Diane and me, or here in the Open Forum, that indicates things have changed regarding how the White Glove list is maintained and administered.

Short story: If they like you and/or your fleet owner, it is easy to become White Glove flagged. Actually, I should say that if they like you and don't like someone else better, it is easy to become White Gloved flagged. They may indeed like you, but "like" varies in degree. Diane and I got quickly flagged because they liked our fleet owner and we showed up as likable in our interview (professional background and demeanor, well groomed, etc.).

Regarding a truck purchase and White Glove status, be very careful and make triple sure that you have it in writing (from someone in authority, not just someone in the office) that your truck will be flagged White Glove before you lay out money to buy or build a WG truck.

You have the option also of going ahead and buying or building a White Glove truck knowing you will take your dogs with you and never be White Glove flagged for that reason. Yet you may be able to get some of the White Glove training others get. And since you will then be trained and have the equipment, some WG loads will likely come your way.

Your fastest path to White Glove status is to identify a fleet owner that has the pull to get you flagged. Better still, find a fleet owner that has that ability and also runs TVAL trucks. That will expose you to all kinds of freight and give you the chance to build a WG track record. If and when the day comes for you to bring your own WG truck into the fleet, your ability to do the work will already be on record.

Finally, note that a fleet owner that has the pull to get you into WG may also have the pull to keep you from adding a truck of your own to the WG fleet when you may wish to do that. Fleet size is an ongoing concern for all contractors; those who run just one truck and those who run many.

Once a contractor is in, he or she tends to think that the WG fleet size should be frozen at present levels or made smaller. That's just old-fashioned human nature and self-interest at work. Those with pull may do more than think about it. They may use their pull to promote their own best interests regarding WG fleet size.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After all this time, one would think they would have a defined path to achieving that option.
Just an outsiders observation as this topic always ends up with all kinds of versions.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Just an outsiders observation as this topic always ends up with all kinds of versions.

That is intentional. The company could clarify the list rules in an instant and stick to their guns (follow the rules without execption) but they don't. Why don't they? I do not know, but it is reasonable to conclude that since they do what they do in case after case and year after year, it is intentional. It may not be clear. It may not be fair. But it is intentional, I believe.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You may be right about that after such a long period of constant madness about it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You may be right about that after such a long period of constant madness about it.

These days, how does FedEx Custom Critical White Glove Services compare to Panther's Elite Services? How does a Panther contractor or driver get on "the list?" Is the list administered the same or different than at FedEx Custom Critical?

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Basically comes down to qualifications. But there is no need for a "back door" or anything like. Meet the service requirements ( I think six months) and pass the class and background checks and you are there assuming you have the necessary equipment. There is "no list".
I believe Elite is everything including high value, pharma and DOD, and premuim is high value products.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you do get a White Glove truck and want to take your dog with you anyway, it's important that the dog be highly trained to not react to a dog whistle. And to not look out the window of the sleeper, and to not lick the inside of the window of the sleeper. Basically, the dog needs to be trained to "hide and shut up" when you say "hide".

I crack myself up.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
If you do get a White Glove truck and want to take your dog with you anyway, it's important that the dog be highly trained to not react to a dog whistle.

'Cuz there is a certain man
That drives a safety van

That'll use a smart phone app
While you're trying to take a nap

That will get your dog upset
Then he'll know you have a pet :D

zorry

Veteran Expediter
'Cuz there is a certain man
That drives a safety van

That'll use a smart phone app
While you're trying to take a nap

That will get your dog upset
Then he'll know you have a pet :D

With that talent whatcha doing drivin trucks ?

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you do get a White Glove truck and want to take your dog with you anyway, it's important that the dog be highly trained to not react to a dog whistle. And to not look out the window of the sleeper, and to not lick the inside of the window of the sleeper. Basically, the dog needs to be trained to "hide and shut up" when you say "hide".

I crack myself up.

Hahahahahaahaa! toooo funny !! My laugh of the day!