Fedex Backhaul Primer

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
What kind of unit do you have? The backhaul department isn't in on the weekends that's what we was always told. That may have changed. The best person to ask is Steve.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I saw a Swift driver the other day at a TA who spent nearly 45 minutes backhauling into a parking space.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I saw a Swift driver the other day at a TA who spent nearly 45 minutes backhauling into a parking space.

And you know how to tell if your wife is cheating on you with a Swift driver. You come home a week later and the guy is still trying to back out of your driveway.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
To my knowledge they have one. I believe it has a fair amount of restrictions based on what has been posted. I could elaborate, but there is a few sensitive folks that might struggle with my response.
Don't want to hurt any feelings.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
So Dave, If I said "my backhaul dept is better than yours" someone might get their feeling hurt? Or will I get this long story about why someone dont use backhauls? Am I getting close here?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
So Dave, If I said "my backhaul dept is better than yours" someone might get their feeling hurt? Or will I get this long story about why someone dont use backhauls? Am I getting close here?

Extremely warm. But I don't want to say hot.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Extremely warm. But I don't want to say hot.

Thought so, okay well in that case I wont say "my backhaul dept is better than yours"!

Even though Panthers dept has never really done anything for me except book the loads I send them, I am still glad they are there to do that and when they are not there you can alaways send the fax and have a CRS book it...but having the ability to do it makes all the difference in the world to me.

Reactions: 1 person

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Thought so, okay well in that case I wont say "my backhaul dept is better than yours"!

Even though Panthers dept has never really done anything for me except book the loads I send them, I am still glad they are there to do that and when they are not there you can alaways send the fax and have a CRS book it...but having the ability to do it makes all the difference in the world to me.

I would say he is really hot Dave. FedEx does have a backhaul department, the Er unit we just moved to Panther TRIED to use it many times. They found some good paying loads to get out the state of Washington just to be told no. The backhauls have to be with someone that has already been okayed by Fedex that is the thing. The one driver asked for a list of the brokers that have been okayed by Fedex and was told no. I'm sure Fedex will work to improve this for the drivers. ;)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I see Bruno brought my name up,since I do know something of the back haul department.Yes there is a back haul department,your CC will contact them for you if you want a back haul load,but you will need to be gone from home for at least 2 weeks,and it wont happen on a Sat or Sun.The back hauls are mainly to get you home when you need to be there,they won't be expedite loads,and you wont find them to be multiloads,as in LTL.You will be able to find your own load,but it can't be with any carrier that's in direct competition with FDCC,and hey wont let you run a back haul if there is a FDCC load available.Hope this helps.
By the way,CharlesD,back haul is any load heading in the return direction,that some carrier thinks you can do it for less money,as it doesn't cost as much going in return as it did getting there

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
back haul is any load heading in the return direction,that some carrier thinks you can do it for less money,as it doesn't cost as much going in return as it did getting there

After exhaustive research I've determined that at least in the case of my particular truck it costs exactly the same to operate regardless of the direction of travel. So much for broker's and their goofy ideas. :rolleyes: