fecc no longer negotiating rates

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We were just informed today that dispatchers can no longer negotiate rates. Although I rarely ask for higher pay on runs there are some with d/h and all that are just not feasable. I only see this as drivers getting higher refusal rates and more loads going uncovered. I have no idea how many loads every day get renegotiated but I don't see this policy as being helpfull. Most drivers know what they need to make to run profitably and when renogiating a load just look to make what is reasonable. It will be interesting to see how this turns out

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This unfortunate policy change on the part of FDXCC came about due to the A Team blantly posting that he would recoup his fingerprinting costs for him and his wife by holding out for more revenue when "I am the only truck in the area". This was posted on the Haz/mat thread last week.
Apparently over 25 individuals complained about him receiving special treatment when others are told "Take it or refuse it'.
So the question has to be asked to the A Team,"Is this policy change that you are responsible for part of your Business Plan or part of your Research.
I rermber a member named Mike who said ,'Be carefull you might get bit on this". The A Team replied"I am a independent contractor and can negoiate as I see fit".
Well I say to the A Team,since you drive for someone else,at this time you do not have a contract calling for a specified percentage but as a result of your attitude torwards the Comapny the entire FDXCC Fleet will suffer.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I should probably keep my thouhgts to myself but do you really think that fedex made a corp. statement over a sixty dollar post?

I think that if fedex cannot get a load covered they will still say how about some help with DH or first out or something rather than let someone else take the load. Like I said I should keep those thoughts to myself.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This unfortunate policy change on the part of FDXCC came about due to the A Team blantly posting that he would recoup his fingerprinting costs for him and his wife by holding out for more revenue when "I am the only truck in the area". This was posted on the Haz/mat thread last week.
Apparently over 25 individuals complained about him receiving special treatment when others are told "Take it or refuse it'.
So the question has to be asked to the A Team,"Is this policy change that you are responsible for part of your Business Plan or part of your Research.
I rermber a member named Mike who said ,'Be carefull you might get bit on this". The A Team replied"I am a independent contractor and can negoiate as I see fit".
Well I say to the A Team,since you drive for someone else,at this time you do not have a contract calling for a specified percentage but as a result of your attitude torwards the Comapny the entire FDXCC Fleet will suffer

After the above, one might want to consider taking that reefer and liftgate off their new truck order.:D
Davekc
owner
20 years

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
This is also a problem of the whiners who cried to FXCC when all they had to do was ask someone else about renegotiating. I'm not sticking up for Ateam, as that was foolish to talk about. But if you go cry to mama, everyone suffers. One thing I have noticed about FXCC when they were Roberts (and from what I hear, now as FXCC), all the rule changes seem to be against the trucks. Go figure. :(

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It may be a $60 post for 1 driver but add that by all the drivers working for FDX reading a post from a proclaimed do it yourself driver and that adds up to about 100k plus what ever else FDX would loose on each load this guys public speech about negotiating the cost of doing a trip may have sparked in other drivers. Now had he been the type to listen to the more experienced instead of thinking he knows it all just maybe he wouldn't have made such a public statement. I guess when the old timers say to take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth for at least 5 yrs it didn't apply to him. BUT!!! That would mean to respect the older drivers and I don’t believe this guy respects anyone. At least his actions show differently. I am willing to bet Memphis read this and posted that memo to cover their asssssssssssss

G

There is an old saying around here (Arkansas) that seems to apply.
You need to do a little less broadcasting and a little more tuning in!

It's really sad that his ego trip has now effected every driver in the fleet, but the fact that he will probably get full credit for this rule change is hilarious to me.

Maybe EO will hire him to write an article on this? :+

LilFoot

Expert Expediter
WAY TO GO -- ATeam !!!

Now you've really proven to everyone just what the "A" stands for, including FedEx CC and the Owners of the truck you drive.

Did you ever take into consideration that your pompus bragging and attitude towards the company would hurt so many ?? For someone who is so intelligent, how could you make a statement so damning to yourself ? Do you think your attitude towards the company might hurt your chances of getting a contract with FedEx CC ?? It's very obvious they know who you are and don't appreciate you trying to hold them over a barrel "when you are the only truck in the area" It might be time to crack open that Disaster Recovery Plan you wrote.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sounds like folks may be doing alot of deadheading on their own dime. Everyone has to be fair. I am sure A Team has a provision in his business plan to compensate all of the FedEx drivers effected by his comments. I would be disappointed if this was advise given to him by his experienced 11 man crew.
Davekc
owner
20 years
Foot in the mouth seems more than appropriate here.
Hopefully, Fedex has a change of heart for you folks

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A quote that I heard: "Rome wasn't built in a day." But, it didn't take it long to burn, once it caught on fire." If it is true that "A" team precipitated this change at FECC, then, apparently, the fire has started.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Is this what you guys refer to as one of those hidden costs that you might incure, I hope that it does not bite to many of you.
When ever someone gets a better deal for a run from the company I would think that you should keep it to yourself for this very reason.
If you get a little something extra shutup about it. maybe remember it when you have sat a long time and you are going to go online to flame the company about this or that.
If this new rule has been put in place because of the Ateam's comment on this board then he has screwed up big time. In my opinon you can say and think anything you want until it affects others.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless FX is quite different from the corporations I worked for prior to this there is no way a post on a forum one week results in a finished and published policy change the next week. The suits are still meeting and arguing over whose department signs off etc. and after about 30 days then something may or may not come down.

I will also interject that from what I see going on if it had been anyone else making that statement it wouldn't be the uproar it is now. I don't know ATeam as I know only a very very few people from here. There are days when I no longer visit the forum because it has turned into a childish let's bash ATeam forum. I am not saying anything about his posts or experience or qualifications. I don't care about those things. I am smart enough to read all views and interpret all information and form my own conclusions. I am commenting only on the actions of the "claimed" professionals who can't just give their opinions and information but have to go beyond that to trashing him. Grow up people. If you don't like it ignore it. If you have data to refute it then present the data only and keep the playground nonsense out of it.

Lastly, if I am the only truck within 100 miles and am offered a load below my full rate then I'm going to say to dispatch "you know, I really need to get D rate to take that load". I'd be a poor businessman if I didn't. If it's hazmat at D rate I'm going to suggest they help me out with dh for all miles to the pickup. I'd be a poor businessman if I didn't. If it's to a poor destination I'm going to tell them I need guaranteed first out after delivery. I'd be a poor businessman if I didn't.

As someone who isn't focused on the let's pick on ATeam game, I read his comments in the hazmat post as a not too well stated way of saying he's going to try to be a good businessman. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my unbiased non-agenda interpretation.

p.s. Please people, learn to use paragraphs when you have more than a few sentences. When you post this much in one unbroken paragraph it is impossible to read.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Trucker Matt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My wife and I will continue to take or refuse loads just as we have in the past. Nothing will change on our end. We try not to take it personally when a load pays a ridiculously low rate, just yes or no.

I never felt it was fair to the dispatchers or the company to try to renegotiate a load when you thought you had them over a barrel. Either the load pays enough or it doesn't.

Of course we all know that after a refusal and if other trucks were scarce, dispatchers would come back with a better offer that might make the load worth while. It's a shame that dispatchers have lost that tool to get loads covered and keep drivers and customers happy. On the other hand, from a management point of view, maybe too much money was being given up too easily.

Bottom line is that this policy will result in higher refusal rates,less covered loads and more opportunites for competition to make inroads with our customers. Obviously FDCC management feels this risk will be mitigated by keeping more of their money on loads that are accepted.

Maybe as a balance to this new policy FDCC will consider raising DH pay to a realistic level?

Matt
Austin, TX

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
What happens to a load if NOBODY accepts it? Does the carrier go back to the shipper and says sorry Charlie? Does this situation ever happen, or happen often?
Thanks. :+ :+

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As with any company, they must cover their loads as profitably as they can. When the stated new policy begins to effect their revenue and their relationship with their customers, you will probably see some movement back to where they were at. I don't believe it would be in their best interest otherwise.
Just my opinion regardless of the carrier.
Davekc
owner
20 years

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>What happens to a load if NOBODY accepts it? Does the
>carrier go back to the shipper and says sorry Charlie? Does
>this situation ever happen, or happen often?
>Thanks.

Well the way I understand it....two things can occur. The customer can be told there is not a truck available, which is the absolute last thing the carrier, (especially FedexCC wants to do), and they decline the load- OR -they will contact an "outside carrier" to cover the load on FedexCC's behalf. Many of the larger companies use smaller "outside carrier" to cover loads they can't cover with their own drivers.

I also for some reason remember hearing when we were with FedexCC that they will take all loads and then worry about covering them later...

mcbride-
O/O-Super D unit-Team-6yrs
--What goes around comes around--
LEGAL NOTICE: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those held by the posting author and do not represent the views or opinions of Expediters Online.com, On Time Media, LLC, it's agents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertisers or sponsors.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
All drivers should heed one of the old adage on this site. "Businessman first, driver second" this is not my quote but one that I strongly endorse.

I have been warned in no uncertain terms to avoid any and all controversy regarding another member of this forum. Therefore I will make the following statement.

Research all topics on this forum. You will find that when a certain member responds accurately and correctly that I am one of the first to congratualte him on an excellent post. When a post like this one appears, I have in the past pointed out the reasons that the information given can and will have negative affects.

To this point I will simply say the following...

A businessman does not broadcast his intentions to recover what he feels are unfair expenses, by taking advantage of his company.

A businessman who feels he is in the position to obtain funds over and above those normally offered is in my opinion, obligated to the success of his business to obtain the best possible charge for his services.

Only someone with little regard for anyone other than himself would make public knowledge of his ability to negotiate higher than normal charges, when the name of the company he works with is public knowldge.

A fool and his "income" are soon parted.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
How much smarts does it take -- how much experience does it take -- how much research does it take -- to make a public disclosure -- a rather boastful disclosure -- in a forum which the other party is certain to read -- about one's negotiating strategy before starting to negotiate?
If that person plays poker, does he lay his cards on the table *before* starting to play that hand?
What's the difference?
Wow!
Y'all keep it safe.
Doc.

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
LDB and Trucker Matt. You guys are on the right track. This policy change was not something done over an internet post. I talked with contractor relations and they say the negotiating had gotten out of hand recently. Some drivers are never satisfied and try to get more money for every load. Especially when fedex is so busy and few trucks are available, they feel they have fedex over a barrel. I am told dispatch has no leeway to raise the rate offered, even if there are no trucks available. They will then just have to go to outside carriers.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hi Jack
LDB and Trucker Matt. You guys are on the right track. This policy change was not something done over an internet post. I talked with contractor relations and they say the negotiating had gotten out of hand recently. Some drivers are never satisfied and try to get more money for every load. Especially when fedex is so busy and few trucks are available, they feel they have fedex over a barrel. I am told dispatch has no leeway to raise the rate offered, even if there are no trucks available. They will then just have to go to outside carriers

I would still hold out hope on this one. It is a slow time of year so they probably won't be giving away that much freight. When the busy season starts, I would be surprised if they continue a policy of giving loads away to their competitors. If so, it will be a bonanza for other carriers.
With regards to negotiating, their drivers have been forced into that situation because of spiraling operating costs. Many companies are operating at the same rates, thus their net income continues to decrease. Expectations for a driver to deadhead 300 miles for a 200 mile load frequently are fading.
As mentioned; "businessman first, driver second"
Or consider bankruptcy as part of your future business plan
Davekc
owner
20 years