February 2017 locations and more

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember the days when straights wouldn't even answer the phone for less then a $1.50 PLUS fuel...
I've gone against my personality and made a network of friends who drive vans and straights. The only consensus is - those who lease to a carrier make less than those who are independent on their own authority. I'm not sure the straight guy would take 1.50 a mile

(With all the extra costs and hassles this brings)

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember the days when straights wouldn't even answer the phone for less then a $1.50 PLUS fuel...
I've gone against my personality and made a network of friends who drive vans and straights. The only consensus is - those who lease to a carrier make less than those who are independent on their own authority. I'm not sure the straight guy would take 1.50 a mile
quite a few down to $1.20 to $1.40 now...base rate...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Leased to carrier? Those ones he seems to pass on to others...kicking myself for getting under the plates and insurance of mine, although I had no complaints till this month...

A GOOD carrier makes this job easy and fun (well almost) its a little unfair to turn after my first slow period...not his fault...but the extra work I do is showing on me as the rates trickle downward...

Reactions: Opel2010

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
fe8796d49a2203340eee439d354a69bc.jpg

Rrrrolling rims at Tim Hortons in Southfield, MI... it looks like they shrunk the 24 oz cup down to 20...

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Remember I've never been in a straight...but even local reefer work in the GTA pays $2-3000 a week...with the bonus of a physically fit physique from all the driver deliveries

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Leased to carrier? Those ones he seems to pass on to others...kicking myself for getting under the plates and insurance of mine, although I had no complaints till this month...

A GOOD carrier makes this job easy and fun (well almost) its a little unfair to turn after my first slow period...not his fault...but the extra work I do is showing on me as the rates trickle downward...
everyone has slow months or just bad luck...wrong place, wrong time.....remember we rely a lot on shippers making errors , mistake....if they have a good day, we have a bad day....Inventory software has gotten a ton better....far less times do they require us to "Catch up" or make missed shipments....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Remember I've never been in a straight...but even local reefer work in the GTA pays $2-3000 a week...with the bonus of a physically fit physique from all the driver deliveries
you mmust be talking contractor?...and that BEFORE expenses is NOT a good wage..

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
you mmust be talking contractor?...and that BEFORE expenses is NOT a good wage..
For a 100 mile radius?

Other bonuses are 7-5, 5 days a week and home every night...sounds kinda good from the couch

(And put this in the perspective of a 10,000 dollar truck not 100k)

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh and newbies, what I'm talking about you need contacts, you'll be on the phone all day every day...just lease to start out, it's a different world when you rely on YOU to get anywhere...and YOU are responsible for any problems...calling dispatch isn't an option when YOU are Dispatch :D

Enough warnings? Its scary to think some people actually might listen to what I post :eek:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While I'm bored...came across this while learning my big truck rules...I've never stopped but

VIRGINIA
Weight Inspection Requirement – Permanent Weigh Stations
24VAC20-81-250
Operators of trucks having a registered gross weight in excess of 7,500 pounds are required by law to drive their vehicles onto scales for weight inspection as directed by either a law enforcement officer or by a regulatory highway sign. A law enforcement officer may require the operator of a truck to drive a distance of up to 10 road miles to a permanent weighing station for weight inspection. Refusal to drive onto the scales for inspection is a misdemeanor.
Operators of pickup or panel trucks registered for personal use with a gross weight in excess of 7,500 pounds but not in excess of 10,000 pounds are not required by law to drive their vehicles onto scales for weight inspection.

What say you? Am I breaking the law with my 8550 sprinter?

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That's ironic Ovm, Murray got me down here to Florida so I could get my generator - a/c & swing out basket kit from another expeditor - with a Mayo clinic delivery.
The equipment I bought was from a "failed" somewhat newbie expeditor. It wasn't anything he "did" per se, nor current rates, or lack of runs, etc.
He failed due to his new, " industry's most dependable... Never let you down" Promaster putting him out of business.
Some will say ".... his fault, should've bought used" , or "... he had no backup plan" or whatever.
The truth of the matter whole matter is - wait for it -
Life's a :censoredsign:, and then you die!
Another expeditor, friend of mine is leaving his carrier again, the one he says was to be his "last" one from which he would retire from - because they have buckled under the negative downward pressure of this game and have begun putting it onto the backs of the o/o. One of the last few surviving "elite", hard to sign up with smaller ones. No owner change or dramatic unjustified increase in units, but all of a sudden after many years of no escrow, low insurance and deductible expenses, no forced dispatch, "we're family here" environment ; now its become a hostile expensive low miles/lowwr rate, high non-payment deadhead-to-pickup environment. Just like the carrier knew if the "originals" I left after 10 yrs.
This is a whole different animal we're dealing with here than it was 10 yrs ago, and I'm not happy with the numbers and types entering this arena either.... But I won't stand in the way of anyone doing this the right way working hard to make a living. I will engage them in civil debate and try and not to belittle them.
I don't know what their needs are just as they don't know mine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
While I'm bored...came across this while learning my big truck rules...I've never stopped but

VIRGINIA
Weight Inspection Requirement – Permanent Weigh Stations
24VAC20-81-250
Operators of trucks having a registered gross weight in excess of 7,500 pounds are required by law to drive their vehicles onto scales for weight inspection as directed by either a law enforcement officer or by a regulatory highway sign. A law enforcement officer may require the operator of a truck to drive a distance of up to 10 road miles to a permanent weighing station for weight inspection. Refusal to drive onto the scales for inspection is a misdemeanor.
Operators of pickup or panel trucks registered for personal use with a gross weight in excess of 7,500 pounds but not in excess of 10,000 pounds are not required by law to drive their vehicles onto scales for weight inspection.

What say you? Am I breaking the law with my 8550 sprinter?

Depends of if you have your sprinter registered commercial or non commercial.

I have seen a few people on here who have posted pics of their vans with non commercial plates on them.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends of if you have your sprinter registered commercial or non commercial.

I have seen a few people on here who have posted pics of their vans with non commercial plates on them.
Well Ontario plates don't say commercial...they have different coloured lettering...but you can't escape that plate type registering over 6000...i doubt the handy "used primarily for personal transportation" sticker would be believable

Nice how informative the signs are..."ALL TRUCKS MUST ENTER" I don't consider myself a truck and neither does the DOT