Favorite stretch of road

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Thousand Island Bridge going in Canada In NY, I-10 in West TX on a full moonlit night in the fall, I-40 in NM and AZ any evening as the sun is setting in the west, I 94 in Wisconsin after a snow and the roads have been cleared, I-95 the NJ Turnpike on a clear night looking at the Manhattan skyline, I-95 in ME looking out for moose, I-5 top of the Grapevine dropping off going north into the San Joaquin Valley, and of course my very favorite is dropping off Donner into the Sacramento Valley headed to see my 4 nieces. And people wonder why I have no desire to travel abroad, so many things to see right here in our own backyards.
27 years and I still see something new everyday and I still love what I do, even with the high fuel prices. :):)

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I love I 15 south the little piece of Arizona (Virgin river gorge).

And 15 South just as Vegas is coming into view at night.

Cabbage patch in Oregon is cool, and South on 5 from Oregon anywhere in the area of Mt Shasta.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I like I 87 north through New York state to Canada.

I just did that stretch the other day from Albany to Lake Placid. The mountains were all snow covered and it was absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed that drive.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Ah yes. I love that scenic view going I-105 through Watts, Ca just before dark. Actually, if I really want the good view, I get off and drive down Rosecrans.......

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
That's funny. I used to go to Yoplait just south of Compton. Nice place.

Yeah, southern Los Angeles county is always a great place to play a game of "I spy a fried chicken joint." The challenge is not in seeing a fried chicken joint. It's picking out the same one that the person spying has chosen, while sitting at any given intersection.

davelees1

Seasoned Expediter
We gotta agree with I-84 in Oregon and I-5 in northern California too, but also:

I-90 in New York, just saw over 100 deer at dusk one evening

I-80 going into Salt Lake City, just saw close to 1,000 deer there in one day!

I-70 going east into Denver

I-76 going into Akron, Ohio because that means we are going home!:D

I'm sure there are others, but we are in a motel room in Oakland, CA without a map!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I 10 from San Antonio to El Paso. Also Eastbound thru the gorge ,I 40 from TN line to Ashville, Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonville to my home.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I 10 from San Antonio to El Paso. Also Eastbound thru the gorge ,I 40 from TN line to Ashville, Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonville to my home.

Love that stretch of highway. I love how when you're heading west, the scenery begins to change around 50 miles west of San Antonio. Everything turns from green to brown, and all the nice big trees are replaces by little brown scrubs and tumbleweed. Every now and then there's a roadrunner that wants to race ya.

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
I-40 Est Of Knoxville Toward Asheville, I-75n Coming Off The Big Hill Going Into Cincinatti. The City Is Beautiful At Night All Lit Up. I-40 West From Tn To Nm.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
i drove ind 44 from i-65 to ind 37.

it is a 2 lane with twists, turns both on and off camber rises, hills and dives. a regular nurburgring of a local road. would rather have been in my tdi but the road was very entertaining.

Jack,
That is 15 minutes from my house. That is a fun road to drive on. They have signs there telling truckers to use Ind 252 instead but that road is almost as curvy. It is alot more fun in my wife's Chrysler Pacifica than it is in "Old Yeller". But then again, most roads are!!!

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Arkansas Hwy 256 close to home.
I-40 east of Knoxville.
I-15 through whatever gourge that is in Arizona or Nevada can't remember.
Just about anything out west.

prescat

Expert Expediter
Nothing like the N.J. Turnpike.....those refineries, swamps, (aka burial grounds), and tollbooths, the unique smells and Jersey girls like kristen/Ashley....ahhh... the sweet vision of home, but seriously, there is this really cool stretch of road from Blythe, Ca. to Brawley/Calexico. It's a 2 lane desert road, (I love deserts), and it is like a roller coaster, hills sloping up and down with slight curves so much fun to drive, I've thought about coming back in my car or motorcycle just to try it. Along the way it slows into this "middle of nowhere" little Border Patrol Station, and the two young guys that were manning it in the middle of the night, must have though they were exiled to another planet.

No funny or thought-provoking comment here..
Prescat FedEx Custom Critical

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
How about west bound on I 10,dropping off the hill,coming into El Paso Tx,seeing miles and miles of city lights,or lQQking up and seeing all the stars God has created for our enjoyment

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Jack,
That is 15 minutes from my house. That is a fun road to drive on. They have signs there telling truckers to use Ind 252 instead but that road is almost as curvy. It is alot more fun in my wife's Chrysler Pacifica than it is in "Old Yeller". But then again, most roads are!!!

you have no idea how happy i am someone knows that road. i posted it on the tdi forum and got grief from folks when i wanted to make a thread of good driving roads. i hope to make it done there in the tdi for several attempts at it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
US 395 running down the east side of the Sierra Nevada thru the Inyo National Forest from around Coleville up near the Nevada border down to Lone Pine, just east of Mt. Whitney.

A friend's family has a 99 year lease from the US government and a cabin at about 7,000 foot on the east side of Whitney. No electric, just propane - lamps, refrigerator, and stove ..... and a gushing mountain stream right out in front with a little foot bridge you have to cross.

I made that trip almost 30 years ago with my new bride. We spent our honeymoon there. :)

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
I love I 15 south the little piece of Arizona (Virgin river gorge).

And 15 South just as Vegas is coming into view at night.

Cabbage patch in Oregon is cool, and South on 5 from Oregon anywhere in the area of Mt Shasta.

Yeah that Mt. Shasta is absolutely beautiful. You can probibly see the peak over 25 miles out once you hit that long long steep grade. Some river follows that I-5 stretch and its so clear its blue in the middle where it's deepest and you can see the bottom on the edges. I got some lunch at that truck stop at the bottom of the mountain and asked the gas station attendant how tall it was. He said over 14000 feet and that him and his buddies climb it in the summer it takes them about 8 hours. He said that you can see the pacific ocean from the summit on a clear summer day. The pacific ocean is over 80 miles west of there. I also read somewhere that the Columbia river is over 4000 feet deep. Amazing.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i guess my favor road is in up state new york in a small town called new boston new york
and the road is the mcdonald rd at one time everybody that lived on that road was all family
and that was also where my grandfather farm was 1st house on right mile up the road from rt 177 dirt road, also the first road i ever drove on , ford tractor pulling a hay wagon
when i was 8 year's old and following my dad driving a tractor to
now there are not to many farms on that road any more