Fatigued Driving

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would like see the stats on how many of the fatigued driving truck crashes involve drivers who are running illegal or how many are in compliance. Seems to be difficult to legislate being fully awake at all times while driving.

A much higher percentage of truck drivers are on the road at the prime drowsy driving times, 2 to 4 pm, 12 to 2 am, and 4 to 6 am.

Do you think more lives could be saved by enforcing current laws and rules than by making more?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would like see the stats on how many of the fatigued driving truck crashes involve drivers who are running illegal or how many are in compliance. Seems to be difficult to legislate being fully awake at all times while driving.

A much higher percentage of truck drivers are on the road at the prime drowsy driving times, 2 to 4 pm, 12 to 2 am, and 4 to 6 am.

Do you think more lives could be saved by enforcing current laws and rules than by making more?

I don't believe that rules, law or regulations, or the lack of them or enforcement is the problem. The problem lies with the driver. It is the drivers responsibility to be in condition to do the job. That includes being awake.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are already laws on the books against fatigued driving.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I don't believe that rules, law or regulations, or the lack of them or enforcement is the problem. The problem lies with the driver. It is the drivers responsibility to be in condition to do the job. That includes being awake.

Really? We need to be awake out there? I've been doing it all wrong!

Not your best post but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. :)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Fatigued driving will never be eliminated by any amount of rule making. A fully compliant driver can be a victim any time the body wants to. The driver has to be alert to the warning signs and listen to his body.
Distracted driving should be getting more of our attention these days.

Last edited:

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you think if you were rewarded for pulling over and taking a nap when you were drowsy that you would? Lets say if you show line 2 anytime during your 11 hours the 11 hours would be extended by that time for up to two additional hours.

nydriver3

Rookie Expediter
Do you think if you were rewarded for pulling over and taking a nap when you were drowsy that you would? Lets say if you show line 2 anytime during your 11 hours the 11 hours would be extended by that time for up to two additional hours.

That's basically how the laws used to be back in the 10 hr Dr / 8 hr break / 15 hr day rule days. With the current rules there are drivers that are afraid to nap because they then lose those hours.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking"

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say "sleep debt" is the culprit. When you have sleep debt, you have fatique. Debt must be repaid...in full :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's basically how the laws used to be back in the 10 hr Dr / 8 hr break / 15 hr day rule days. With the current rules there are drivers that are afraid to nap because they then lose those hours.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking"

It's what drivers have been saying for almost 10 years: how much safer are we when forced to drive 10-11 straight [forget the 30 minute 'break that is more trouble than benefit] because we can no longer stop the clock?
The FMCSA has simply ignored us.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

There aren't any stats, because 'fatigue' is not generally cited as a causative factor in crashes. It may be presumed through scrutiny of the driver's logs, but even that can be misleading. Some days I feel alert for 10 hours, others, I'm dragging after a few, so who can say who is 'fatigued' at any given time?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You know my Dad was a retired teamster before I began driving. Among his many tips was, always keep a cold wet rag handy. Refreshing beyond belief. Sometimes just a swipe across the brow. Sometimes a full face wash along with the Ac full in the face.
Thanks Dad.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is difficult to listen to your body signs when you havent done too good the last couple of weeks, you need to put food on the table and the rent is due. Now you get a decent run but you are tired from all the worrying. ... What do you do? Stop to sleep and risk loosing the load, and dispatch won't give you good loads any more because you are not able to do them? Or just keep going, hope for the best and prolong the suffering one more week?

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
TV is now all over this wreck that Injured the Comedian Traci Morgan, claiming SLEEP DEPRIVED TRUCKERS...after it became clear the Walmart truck driver had not slept in 24 hours....so all of us get painted as Crazed Deranged and Dangerous, and You can be sure this will play out in Congress, in Commercials for Law Firms and etc....and around the dining room table tonight.

How do you make someone run legally....The News I just watched on Channel 5 is claiming trucks KILL 11 PEOPLE A DAY....How many are killed in CARS...I hate this crap....sensational reports of crazed bloodshot eyeballs, leering out the cab, stick shift in hand, Cowboy hat flapping in the breeze....HOGWASH.

A very small percentage of real idiots allow themselves to operate these vehicles unsafely, a very small percentile...the rest of us make it our mission to be safe, when do we get our story in the news. I knew after I heard this story that this would happen, OOIDA had to cringe, as did others knowing full well were all about to be painted with red Paint, dangerous...unsafe....crazed....

Sad this "accident" happened and sad the driver of the truck stayed awake 24 hours, even sadder our news reporting uses US as whipping boys to Lay Blame and stir the fires...I can see more SERIAL KILLER ads coming soon....sickening....and SAD.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
This takes me back to the driver questionaire you take to determine if you need a sleep survey, They ask, WOULD YOU TAKE A NAP IF YOU HAD THE TIME....and any trucker who says NO is a Lair, who wouldnt take a nap given the time and place knowing full well your going to drive all nite, etc...its the system working against the driver....taking away your option to rest and being penalized for being truthful.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That 4 to 6am is a tough one for me, other two no problem. 2-4am can be tough but not as bad as that 4-6!

Gotta watch what I say here but dispatch can be real pushy sometimes when they don't know what the driver is going through mentally, physically, yes it is important to get the load on time but it is more important to get it there safely, you have to know your boundaries in this business, worse case situation swap the load with a driver with fresh 11/16.

I just drove from Seattle to Rockford IL (left 1pm Saturday) and I'm exhausted. Sleep time! :)

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This takes me back to the driver questionaire you take to determine if you need a sleep survey, They ask, WOULD YOU TAKE A NAP IF YOU HAD THE TIME....and any trucker who says NO is a Lair, who wouldnt take a nap given the time and place knowing full well your going to drive all nite, etc...its the system working against the driver....taking away your option to rest and being penalized for being truthful.

That's like the question on a 'test' to determine drug dependency: "Do you find yourself watching the clock until it's time for the next pain pill?" If you're in pain, absolutely - but that's considered a sign of 'dependency', and the need for treatment?!
I guess it's all about who wrote the questions, and what they have to gain by their interpretation of the answers.

BTW: I've also read that the WalMart driver hadn't slept for 24 hours, [and by all accounts, he was a jerk of a driver], but I haven't seen anything about how they know that - has anyone? Are they just going by his log? I'm pretty sure he didn't admit to it, because it doesn't say "He told police", it just says he hadn't slept for 24 hrs.