Fall is here.... keep a close eye out

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Just a reminder that with Fall now in full swing there is always the increase of vehicle/deer accidents.

I have noticed a huge increase in "roadkill" deer in the last week. I have also seen many deer standing on the shoulders of the road just waiting to cross. Not a good situation for anyone to be in. I'm sure most people are aware of this but it doesnt hurt to throw it out there as a reminder.

Be safe in your travels

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Deer, elk AND moose all rut at this time of year. Be careful. Those animals act like teenage kids when those hormones kick in.

Speaking of kids, school is in too.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Backyard a couple of days ago - this group (there were 5 or 6 total) is not part of the regular group (a doe with her two current year fawns, and occasionally the buck) that regularly cruise (almost daily) through our yard.

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 18

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Backyard a couple of days ago - this group (there were 5 or 6 total) is not part of the regular group (a doe with her two current year fawns, and occasionally the buck) that regularly cruise (almost daily) through our yard.

KILL 'EM ALL!!

Filthy vermin.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be fine with me .... as long as at least 1/3 of the venison taken winds up in my freezer ;)

Better not get caught with venison in your freezer without a valid license to go with it. While it is not likely that you would ever be checked the fines for that are quite high. They assume poaching. Why don't you take out a couple?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be fine with me .... as long as at least 1/3 of the venison taken winds up in my freezer ;)

Better not get caught with venison in your freezer without a valid license to go with it. While it is not likely that you would ever be checked the fines for that are quite high. They assume poaching. Why don't you take out a couple?

greg334

Veteran Expediter

AND this is the problem I have with the Michigan DNR, unlawful searches based on an assumption that there is a crime that has been committed.

Who gives them the right to trespass into a freezer without a search warrant?

Is it the same right they have ticketing people who are pulling out of the driveway with their headlights on?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
AND this is the problem I have with the Michigan DNR, unlawful searches based on an assumption that there is a crime that has been committed.

Who gives them the right to trespass into a freezer without a search warrant?

Is it the same right they have ticketing people who are pulling out of the driveway with their headlights on?

Who said anything about not having a search warrant? Search warrants ARE required. I don't know who told you different. It would be unlikely, as I said, in RLENT's case, that he would ever be investigated unless someone were to turn him in. I was just giving him a "heads up".

There are laws on the books in EVERY state that I have lived in concerning this. EVERY TIME I have a deer processed at a butcher the tag stays with it, both at the shop and when I bring it home. When I do my own, I keep it until the meat is used up.

There are also laws on the books about keeping game meat past certain dates. They were written years ago before the days when home freezers were common. Having meat after a certain time, back then, almost always proved poaching. Those laws need updated. I normally give the remainder of unused meat to shelters.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The point is who are they to determine what is poached and what isn't without the evidence that I actually committed a crime or even if the meat is venison - meaning a lack of seeing or having a witness to me dragging a rodent out of the woods with a weapon in hand to even justify an investigation.

Getting a search warrant does not always happen, there are a number of DNR officers who have overstepped their boundaries and failed to be legal in gather evidence. I know of a few cases where they perjured themselves, one I know first hand but there seems to be a justification of their actions because they protect the environment and our sporting economy.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The point is who are they to determine what is poached and what isn't without the evidence that I actually committed a crime or even if the meat is venison - meaning a lack of seeing or having a witness to me dragging a rodent out of the woods with a weapon in hand to even justify an investigation.

Getting a search warrant does not always happen, there are a number of DNR officers who have overstepped their boundaries and failed to be legal in gather evidence. I know of a few cases where they perjured themselves, one I know first hand but there seems to be a justification of their actions because they protect the environment and our sporting economy.

There is NO LEGAL way for you to have venison in your freezer unless, A: you purchase a hunting license and shoot it your self, or B: you purchase venison from LEGAL LICENSED venison farm, in which case you will be given a LEGAL sale receipt.

Anything else is illegal and a crime. At least not that I know of any way.

Yes, some have overstepped their bounds. Most of those cases get thrown out like in any legal proceeding. There are good "CO's" , bad "CO's" and average "CO's" Just like like any other kind of enforcement officer. They just people. The worst seem to be those officers who are anti-hunting. At least, that is what I have personally experienced. I hunt with several DNR officials, they are just people. They have to follow the same laws we do.

I don't know what happened in the individual cases you cite. I have seen good, bad in indifferent enforcement in the field. I have personally experienced all kinds. That is the problem when dealing with people.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

There is NO LEGAL way for you to have venison in your freezer unless, A: you purchase a hunting license and shoot it your self, or B: you purchase venison from LEGAL LICENSED venison farm, in which case you will be given a LEGAL sale receipt.

Anything else is illegal and a crime. At least not that I know of any way.

Yes, some have overstepped their bounds. Most of those cases get thrown out like in any legal proceeding. There are good "CO's" , bad "CO's" and average "CO's" Just like like any other kind of enforcement officer. They just people. The worst seem to be those officers who are anti-hunting. At least, that is what I have personally experienced. I hunt with several DNR officials, they are just people. They have to follow the same laws we do.

I don't know what happened in the individual cases you cite. I have seen good, bad in indifferent enforcement in the field. I have personally experienced all kinds. That is the problem when dealing with people.