Factoring

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well now, does this mean i'm not going to get any crank when I mention that Contractors usually don't hold themselves to the same standards as their Carriers????

Kinda one way.......ain't it?????

Now you know darned well it always the carriers fault...
ya hear the whinning all the time...they did this, they did that and on and on.....no wonder I don't ever do truck stops and am a Wally worm....:eek:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I also notice in my pay envelope some mention of a financial institution that I assume to be a factoring service.

Are you talking about Paychex? I think all they do is payroll processing.

Hey Mods, are you going to allow the straight truck bashing going on here?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One of the companies that I am leased on with factors most of their loads. I simply fax the paperwork over to the factoring compoany and my pay is loaded onto my company comdata card the same day I deliver. The other company pays me for any load done from last Sunday to that Monday on the same Wednesday not even a week after the load was delivered, sometimes within days.

But to get back to factoring, it is necessary for some smaller companies to factor because of cash flow issues, and it benefits the drivers to get paid as quickly as possible. I have no problem with a company that factors their invoices. People who say that companies that factor are financially unstable are just full of sheet. Look at what happened to Arrow Trucking when that flatbed company went bankrupt and closed up shop in the middle of the night? Do you think they were factoring loads, I beg to differ. Most if not all of their drivers got screwed out of their final paychecks. Any of the larger companies can go belly up owing you a check, even, gasp, E-1!!

HHDLLC

Seasoned Expediter
Have you tried to secure a loan from a bank for YOUR endeavors recently? The banks have been given your taxpayer money already, so they no longer see the need to operate in the risk of loaning money to anyone. They just live off of all of those new fees they charge to checking accounts that used to be free.

Hello Vince. It's good to see you on here. I definitely agree with your response. I wanted to add other benefits that a company might receive by factoring:

- Full-time accounting staff

- Bill collection (if required)

- Quick pay fuel cards for drivers when they need it.

All of these things figured into the rate that is deducted. And yes, many firms offer better deals as your volume increases. Some of the larger 3PLs even offer their own quick pay programs to their partners based on the volume of freight they move. Some of these are as low as 1-1/2%

I've been in trucking for over 35 years. You have to love it when some guys sitting in a $8,000 van think they know it all. Factoring has always been a part of this business.

For a small to a medimum size operation, to pay a small percentage for non recourse factoring is a no brainer. What you would pay to have a full time billing department, collections department, and then risking the no pays. It make good business sense to out source this headache and factor. A smal to medimum size carrier is finacially STRONGER because it can factor.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
As Turtle pointed out a whole lot of small to med businesses of all types us factoring companies and they can be strong companies finanically.

As to usig a Line of Credit, went the banking industry took a hit in 2008, banks were calling in lines of credit left and right, even for clients that they serviced for yrs and that were good strong companies...today for some small companies and especilly startups, getting even a small (under a 100 grand)line of credit can be next to impossible...ok maybe not quite to that point, but overly hard compared to what it once was..

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Why not a line of credit from a reliable source at a far less rate.....a million line of credit should cover it if you are just a small outfit....If your credit is that bad...I don't want to contract with ya....

WOW OVM, you are FULL of laughs TODAY! Think I'll mosey on over to the bank to just get a million dollar LOC.. no problem! (teehee!)

Not me buddy.....there is a cost to factoring...and WHO pays that cost? .....

Who pays the cost for YOU to get paid (like an employee) on a timed and regular basis?

With a well organized business plan no O/O should need the cash that quickly as to lose 3-6 % of the gross...it makes no sense....and if you are on the ropes....let go and go down with the ship.....tough luck...

Did you ever think that the percentage you are paying YOUR carrier, which is substantially MORE than 3-6% of the gross, and more like 25-40% of the gross, includes the cost of fronting you the money before it is received?

I don't think banks charge interest on a line of credit on EVERY transaction like factoring does....

Hello? Are you with us OVM? You don't THINK so?? I know of no other business that sticks it to its customers as bad as financial institutions do! And yes, they charge interest on EVERY PENNY! They even charge a service charge if you deposit coin into your own account that you're already paying for!

I'd love to have enough cash and get into factoring or loan sharking....4% on every BOL compounded? what a scam...

Wouldn't we ALL love to have THAT amount of cash? Can you even imagine how much cash that would BE that would be needed?

Well now, does this mean i'm not going to get any crank when I mention that Contractors usually don't hold themselves to the same standards as their Carriers????

Kinda one way.......ain't it?????

I am with Col....

If`an individual can't float 25,000 to 30,000 over 90 days then they are not self sufficient...

My guess is that you would quit the biz if you had to wait NINETY days to get paid after each load. How much would just the fuel alone cost you after 90 days of running... say 30,000 miles? Now imagine all the other costs, and then imagine doing it for HOW many drivers? Where is it written that you are less of a business owner than a carrier business owner?

am doing the math...if ya run say 15 loads a month and just take the low of 3% on EACH BOL....that is 45% of your monthly revenue...loan sharking at best....no wonder most don't make it..:eek:

or did I miss something?

seriously? where? 15 loads at 3% for each load....15x3 = 45%

Man, I hope you don't do your own bookkeeping and taxes??? Wow, you need a math lesson!

Not to attack you personally OVM, but this all leads one to question how much financial confusion there is out there amongst the general population of expediters. And in the confusion, lies an opening for one to be taken advantage of.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Not to attack you personally OVM,

Wow, seems you did a pretty good job of it for somebody who is trying not to.

I'll give you credit, you came out swinging...lol. For what it's worth, I thought we had a good decent discussion of the topic. I know for a fact that at least one person learned a lot about the factoring side of the business (just got off the phone with him).

Seems you and I probably agree on the issue, but maybe you need to lighten up a bit. We ain't fightin a war or nothin.

jpalmer

Seasoned Expediter
I offer factoring services with my company I just started. Before i really understood how factoring companies can help. I didn't like it either. After all. Its taking money out of the companies pockets.

Most factoring companies don't just give you money fast. They are (the companies I broker for) complete billing and collection departments on your behalf. Which ends up saving the trucking company money on HR, salary and insurance expenses.

It really helps with cash flow. I don't recommend factoring all your invoices if you don't have too. Using factoring for those clients that pay later then some helps you...

The cost of not being able to do business is worse then factoring fees...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats ok Pjjjj understood "almost nothing" of what I said...Because she referred everything to the max of 90 days...some are only 30 days...
90 days of running for me or 3 months is about 4,000 in fuel...so a 30k bank roll would get me easily thru the wait...
it is ONLY the first 90 that is the rough part..after that it rolls over....just like a weekly paycheck..

Besides that Pjjj must be referring to Canadian banks....it is unbelievable the service charges they have....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Yes, factoring companies often offer a "suite" of services. But like anything these services come at a cost. A smaller carrier may determine that these costs are worthwhile as they do not have scales of economy advantages.

I do not think that a carrier that factors is financially unstable. But, I do think that a carrier that does not is most likely more financially stable. Banks set the bar and credit requirements much higher than most factoring companies. They also tend to loan a smaller percentage and have much greater rules and regulations. If a carrier can meet these criteria, they generally pay a lesser amount in interest and an overall reduction in the "cost of money".

It is a very popular method of financing for start up carriers and small carriers. As a carrier matures or grows they should have the goal to move away from it and build a deeper financial base of security.

My 2 cents.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
It is a very popular method of financing for start up carriers and small carriers. As a carrier matures or grows they should have the goal to move away from it and build a deeper financial base of security.

My 2 cents.

That's pretty much where we are right now. We're still factoring most of our invoices right now, with the goal of eventually not having to, but for the moment our factoring company is a life saver.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
That's pretty much where we are right now. We're still factoring most of our invoices right now, with the goal of eventually not having to, but for the moment our factoring company is a life saver.

Makes good sense. If the "suite of services" represents an economical advantage to the small carrier than it is a good choice. You have to be careful of growing too much relying on factoring. It gets harder and harder to break away from them as you get larger unless you are focused on weening them and building equity.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
It seems to me Factoring is just a cost of doing business for some. Part of over head. Nothing more.