Extra battery

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
So I installed an espar d2 heater and when it's working along with my small fridge which both plug into an inverter sure puts too much pressure on my battery. I want to get an additional battery and run it to my car battery. Question I have is where do I get and how I install a switch so that extra battery I'd active only when I want it to be? Like whenever I am ready to use my heater. Any input is appreciated!

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've used the hillbilly method for 12 years.

2 walmart deep cycle group 31 marine batteries (cheap, can be charged by your alternator) and a cutoff switch with a big red plastic key.

I wire to my van starter battery for charging, and disconnect for parking so I can use my fantastic fan and fridge

Google diagrams to wire for 12 volts. You can use 1 or 2 true deep cycle, but you'd need a proper dc to dc charger or that expensive deep cycle will die early

Reactions: SoG

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
I was thinking of putting the same kind of battery that I have under the hood into my cabin just in case something happens to my main one, I have a spare. That cutoff switch, what's it looks like and where did you buy it?!

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Battery isolator is automatic, instead of a manual switch, but either will work.

The chances are the battery under the hood is a starting battery It a spare starting battery is really only good for being a spare starting battery. It's useless as a deep cycle house battery.

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Battery isolator is automatic, instead of a manual switch, but either will work.

The chances are the battery under the hood is a starting battery It a spare starting battery is really only good for being a spare starting battery. It's useless as a deep cycle house battery.
Starting to realise that! Going to look into a deep cycle battery. Gotta figure out how to hook it up as well! I am sure there is stuff on YouTube! Thanks

guido4475

Not a Member
Battery Disconnect Switches at Summit Racing

I swear by Interstate megatron plus batteries. But, I do have a Oddysey battery for a secondary battery. It's the 2nd one in 8 years. I wont spend that kind of money again for a battery, but will go with an Interstate battery ( I see Tractor Supply has Interstate deep Cycles for 119.00) as a second battery. I prefer just a standard simple and dependable battery switch as well. I rarely switch it off. I have a Honda EU3000 and a battery charger/maintainer hard wired to the second battery that keeps both batteries charged, and runs off of the generator. The battery charger/maintainer is automatic, and turns on when I start the generator. Simple. $65.00. Cheap. No inverter. That's what my Honda is for. It must have over 35,000 hours on it. I use it like it was Intended to be used. Change the 18oz of oil every Sunday. I'll most likely get a new one this spring. But this onecwont die. Worth every penny.

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
Something you also might want to consider is changing out your alternator to a higher amp output if charging two batteries. Charging both with a stock one will work, but it will be harder on it, leading to it going failing quicker .

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just to answer the op, why don’t you use jumper cables to connect to that battery, so when you want it disconnected, just take off the jumper cables?

guido4475

Not a Member
Something you also might want to consider is changing out your alternator to a higher amp output if charging two batteries. Charging both with a stock one will work, but it will be harder on it, leading to it going failing quicker .

Never had that problem most likely because I use a battery charger/maintainer to keep them charged when the van is off and the generator is running.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just to answer the op, why don’t you use jumper cables to connect to that battery, so when you want it disconnected, just take off the jumper cables?

Why not do it right to begin with and run proper mounted/gauge cables to begin with?

Question I have is where do I get and how I install a switch so that extra battery I'd active only when I want it to be? Like whenever I am ready to use my heater. Any input is appreciated!

Because the op wants to disconnect.

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver

Never had that problem most likely because I use a battery charger/maintainer to keep them charged when the van is off and the generator is running.
I dont have a generator. Just the main battery under the hood and one of those yellow inverters.

Reactions: Solar

guido4475

Not a Member

Why not do it right to begin with and run proper mounted/gauge cables to begin with?

Question I have is where do I get and how I install a switch so that extra battery I'd active only when I want it to be? Like whenever I am ready to use my heater. Any input is appreciated!

Isnt that what a battery dis-connect switch is for? Why half as* something like that to begin with?...lol.

Reactions: RoadTime and Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Isnt that what a battery dis-connect switch is for? Why half as* something like that to begin with?...lol.

47A09BC0-469A-4233-A760-097661DCD66F.jpeg

lol

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

lol
I just like to live. Lol

Reactions: Solar