Expedite Solo in a Hino??

Paladin921

Active Expediter
I believe there are quite a few solo straight trucks as O/O's.
I don't think there are many fleet owners that take on solos because a team will make them a lot more than a solo will. And if you find one they will probably be offering an older truck.

Sounds like what I was offered.....solo in an older truck. I'll keep looking.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
if you are going to drive someone elses truck, and you have no experience, find a Sprinter Owner that needs a driver. Learn the business for a yaer and if you last that long and decide that this is a lifestyle you are comfortable with, then by your own truck and quit sharing the money that the truck makes...

Paladin921

Active Expediter
if you are going to drive someone elses truck, and you have no experience, find a Sprinter Owner that needs a driver. Learn the business for a yaer and if you last that long and decide that this is a lifestyle you are comfortable with, then by your own truck and quit sharing the money that the truck makes...

Sounds like good advice Chief. And I do have some experience....but it's a few years back.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
the experience deal isn't a really issue in a CV/Sprinter but in a ST it becomes more of a carriers insurance coverage issue...not sure what "A few yrs back" means, but most look for current to 2-3 yrs back...

As a solo, if you want to work smart and hard, you can make as much or even more (depending on carriers) in a Sprinter sized truck under 10,000 gvw as you can in a ST as a solo with less bs....the key is getting the right truck, signing on with the right carrier that will take advantage of what you bring to the table..

As i said, drive some elses sprinter, learn the business, then if it fits, buy your own truck...

Paladin921

Active Expediter
the experience deal isn't a really issue in a CV/Sprinter but in a ST it becomes more of a carriers insurance coverage issue...not sure what "A few yrs back" means, but most look for current to 2-3 yrs back...

As a solo, if you want to work smart and hard, you can make as much or even more (depending on carriers) in a Sprinter sized truck under 10,000 gvw as you can in a ST as a solo with less bs....the key is getting the right truck, signing on with the right carrier that will take advantage of what you bring to the table..

As i said, drive some elses sprinter, learn the business, then if it fits, buy your own truck...

Thanks again Chief. I'm going to amend my Driver add for a CV but Sprinter preferred and drop the ST all together.

"....signing on with the right carrier....." Seems to be the key. But No One every says who the "Right Carrier" is and most don't even give suggestions. It's like if you invest in the right stock you'll do well.....duh. It would be a BIG help if carrier suggestions were offered. And if I missed those suggestions I'll apologize now.

And yes I've heard the.....every carriers different you must find the right fit. I don't put much stock in that. If you're hard working, professional, polite, don't whine, and deliver on time any carrier will work. Among the carriers though who keeps their word? Best dispatch system? Pay tolls? FSC per mile or percentage? Has a steady or high load volume? Etc.

This isn't magic or alchemy so why the apprentice in secrecy for a year or two and then all will be come known??

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Honestly, there isn't enough money to split in a cargo van, unless you can work for a year for little pay just to pay your dues, much better to look for a Sprinter:)
I believe a Sprinter can make just about as much as a solo straight truck with less hassle

Paladin921

Active Expediter
Honestly, there isn't enough money to split in a cargo van, unless you can work for a year for little pay just to pay your dues, much better to look for a Sprinter:)
I believe a Sprinter can make just about as much as a solo straight truck with less hassle

Dakota what do you drive? Sprinter would be preferred. Working for little money is NOT an option. Part of why I'm not pursuing the ST position. After personal expenses and taxes the net would be so low I'd be better off staying home w/ a JOB.

Was also offered a solo in a cube van w/ sleeper. With the aerodynamics of a brick why run a cube?? Wouldn't it cost more to operate then a CV or Sprinter and pay the same per mile from the carrier? Almost a ST but not making the same rate?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I drove a daycab straight for Ceva, tried my hand at expediting slightly with the daycab, obviously without a sleeper it wasn't very lucrative. Also did some work for an air freight company. Ceva pulled out of my city and I had to give the truck up :eek:(
Not in Expediting currently but if I did get back in it would be in a Sprinter or similar sized van:)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The only thing I did right was lease my truck, so that when I lost work, I was able to get out from under the truck, If I would have bought a truck I would have been screwed.
If I would have started out in a van I might be expediting at this time, but my life took another turn.
If I got back in I'd definately drive for an owner for a year or two.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Paladin, there isn't any magic, or secrecy, but it does take a while to get used to the lifestyle, and how expediting works.

As for what to drive, that's your choice. I drive a ST solo, signed on with FedEx. Even on a slow week, I make a decent pay, enough that I'm buying the truck from the owner.

It's a personal thing, but with the waiting times that come with expediting, I like having a good sized sleeper/living area to spend most of that time in. And plenty of room for anything I want to bring along, for 3 or 4 weeks.

One note, in getting experience. If you start out in a van, but later decide to go ST, your time in the van probably won't count as experience. Most carrier's insurance companies want prev. experience in a vehicle of the type you'll be driving. Just a FWIW.

Paladin921

Active Expediter
Thanks Dakota & Jim

Jim your views on the sleeper are one big reason I was including ST's in my add. From the posts I got the impression there aren't many opening for a solo in a ST. If running an ST and assuming it worked out there's an option to go team with me girlfriend.

It's apparent I need to do more research, ask questions, etc. Won't be jumping in blind....can't afford to sink!

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Dakota & Jim

It's apparent I need to do more research, ask questions, etc. Won't be jumping in blind....can't afford to sink!

That is what this site is for, too many people go out buy a 100K truck and sink within a couple months.
Good luck:)

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Dakota what do you drive? Sprinter would be preferred. Working for little money is NOT an option. Part of why I'm not pursuing the ST position. After personal expenses and taxes the net would be so low I'd be better off staying home w/ a JOB.

Was also offered a solo in a cube van w/ sleeper. With the aerodynamics of a brick why run a cube?? Wouldn't it cost more to operate then a CV or Sprinter and pay the same per mile from the carrier? Almost a ST but not making the same rate?

I think you are going to be really hard pressed to find a sprinter driving job tbh. There aren't many sprinter fleet owners out there. As pointed out by some of our more esteemed members in the Ford Van Sprinter Body types thread in the Truck Talk section, it takes experienced owners to properly maintain a sprinter.

That is why we Sprinter owners can not stress enough...a Sprinter is NOT an entry level vehicle...It takes a very special type of person, mentality to properly care for one....if you want to drive the crap out of a van and just be a driver....get a North American slop bucket...they last...

The people with the most problems with their Sprinters are the ones who view it as just another cargo van, same as an other Ford or Chevy, except with more room. So they trend to treat it like any other cargo van. But a Sprinter is, after all, a Mercedes, and needs to be cared for as you would a Mercedes.

As a result, I don't think there are a tonne of sprinter fleets out there.

I've been watching the ads and I don't ever recall seeing a sprinter driver ad. I'm not saying there are none out there, your just going to have to knock on a lot more doors and make more calls. If I were you, I'd contact any carrier that your interested in working for, ask them to give your info to fleet owners.

I'd also look up a lot of the smaller or regional carriers. Look up job advertisements in different cities where there is good freight and you might get lucky that way.

I'd honestly consider a ST more than a Sprinter, the pay will be more reliable. Chef talks about making more money but he has way more experience than you do in finding loads and he's at the top of the earning chart. I wouldn't rely on making his mileage.

I have 3 months experience and I'm averaging about 1400-1800 miles a week most weeks. I did 2400 miles last week and I'm already at 1300 miles this week but my blower motor just went and I think I'm going to be told to DH home 300 miles.

Lets say you average 1600 miles per week @ 1.05 / mile in a Sprinter = $1680 / week for the truck. If you get 40%, that is $672 / week.

That is around 83 000 miles per year, it might be a little high to use as an average. If you wanted to be more conservative, you could go with 75 000 miles and use a rate of $1.00 / mile average

75000 x 40% = $32 250 annual salary = $620 / week before expenses and taxes.

If you read the main forum, everyone talks about how straight trucks are more consistent, better money makers than CV's.

I just wanted to give you more to think about. I'm sure Chef averages more miles per week than I do because he's more experienced and he also has a 14' floor which gives him more load opportunities than a Sprinter.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Here is another EO member who use to run his own CV but had mechanical issues so he's currently driving a Sprinter for someone else. He posted this in the main forum in the August Locations thread.

Got a load from Mundon, MI to Greenville, OH. So for the month loaded miles was 4,959 and empty was 4,966. 51% DH. Not the best month for me and I was out for a month.:( I hope things start turning around soon.:eek: Still 1 day left til the end of the month so maybe I'll get a 500 mile run tomorrow. But then again...I doubt it.

He got paid for 4959 miles for the month. @ 40% and $1.05, that would be $2082 for the month, thats either $400 a week if you count it as 5 weeks, or $520 for 4 weeks.

Its harder to make as much in a sprinter as a ST imo.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I guess it all depends on what you want.
Are you looking for 300 a week or 1000 a week
Everyone's needs are different, If you can live on 300 and then you have a 1000 dollar week you will be very very happy, but if you have a 300 dollar week and you need 1000 you are going to be stressed.
Just remember, no matter what you drive what you make doing this is not going to be a set amount, save when the going is good so that you have money when the going is bad.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There are seven wanted adds in Classifieds today for van drivers. Five Cargo vans and two Sprinters Plus in Expedite Now there is an add for a Sprinter driver.

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
There are eight wanted adds in Classifieds today for van drivers. Six Cargo vans and two Sprinters Plus in Expedite Now there is an add for a Sprinter driver.

LOL

I suck at research apparently. :eek: I even checked the ads before I posted except I guess I didn't scroll all the way to the bottom.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks Dakota & Jim

Jim your views on the sleeper are one big reason I was including ST's in my add. From the posts I got the impression there aren't many opening for a solo in a ST. If running an ST and assuming it worked out there's an option to go team with me girlfriend.

You've surely already figured out that teams are in great demand, so I'd suggest aiming for a solo in a S/T spot, planning to become a team after gaining the necessary knowledge regarding trucks, carriers, etc.
If you 'can't afford to sink', both cargo vans and Sprinters seem riskier - the former due to oversupply, the latter due to maintenance/repair issues. As several owners have pointed out, treating a Sprinter like an American vehicle is asking for trouble, and there are times and places where parts are simply not available - it doesn't sound like the ideal vehicle for a rookie. [And what if the owner doesn't know that?!]
Also, as was mentioned, driving a 4 wheeler won't count as experience if you choose to move to a S/T - most insurance companies want recent experience in whatever you will be driving, and they decide who the carriers can use.

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
To my understanding panther will not take a hino due to the qual comm paperless logs system will not work with them.

Sense your hino has issues and it is automatic, I would ask for 65/35 split.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
To my understanding panther will not take a hino due to the qual comm paperless logs system will not work with them.

Sense your hino has issues and it is automatic, I would ask for 65/35 split.

They work in 2008 and newer Hinos.