Expedite Expo From An Owner Operators View (Amazing)

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
My wife says that the shower and toilet in that Volvo sleeper is a game changer... :)

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To me, the Volvo is the game changer.
The shower/toilet is nice.
I wonder if we’ll ever hear “Remember when most DR units were Freightliners “ ?

Reactions: TeamPaul

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stykemain has the cab/Chassis on the ground.
You don’t have to wait for one to be built. They supply the motor home business.
And most have a 16,000+ steer axle. Which is what you want, but may not know it.
Unfortunately the sleeper builders are backed up.
Still, may cut build time by a few months.

Reactions: TeamPaul

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
how far units have come from 1992 , I started with 1800 UD, 48" sleeper, did the job. after looking at what others had I started looking to make life on road more comfortable. when to every truck show I could to plan next truck. see what was out there. each truck I moved up to was better than last one. looked at all trucking mag's I could get my hands on, sent off for info. drove my wife nuts when they called and asked for me. than after a items would come in and would send them off to Dan Schultz, he would look at item and decide if it was snake oil or not. when people asked him about things they were surprise at info he had on equipment for trucks and sleeper. I always had over septic c unit. Looks like it was one more great show. truck shows are a must if your going to look at a new unit.

Reactions: Lawrence

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
With a 110 sleeper, what size is the box? 18ft or 20ft? Surely can't be a 22ft. If I was to buy a Str8, I would torn between the Freightliner or Volvo. Can anyone tell me the difference as far as which one is better?

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’ve had both. I’m partial to the Volvo.
Steel cab. Heavier. Built with safety in mind.
Can reduce payload.
I think both engines are great. Transmissions are similar since Detroit copied the Volvo Trans.
Resale favor to Freightliner today. May change if Volvos catch on .
So close I’d say which ever styling you like. Or whichever seems more comfortable to you.
I like Volvo’s one piece windshield .
The biggest difference is the dealership mindset.
Similar to going from Fedex ( Freightliner ) to Landstar ( Volvo ).
No comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Believe I,d still look at a CO Argosy with a 110", nice condo and can still place a 30 footer on her and haul something........just food for figgur'in y'all. She'd be a money maker if ya had a good load finder

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Believe I,d still look at a CO Argosy with a 110", nice condo and can still place a 30 footer on her and haul something........just food for figgur'in y'all. She'd be a money maker if ya had a good load finder

If you want to be a freight hauler, be a freight hauler.
I prefer the 1-3 skids that pay $2.50-$4.00 per mile.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
that was a nice western star, I had the very first western star, when Dan Schutz , was at TSI in North Jackson OH. only one they ever made with 16' box.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

If you want to be a freight hauler, be a freight hauler.
I prefer the 1-3 skids that pay $2.50-$4.00 per mile.

I totally agree if, you choose to follow the herd, drive a over priced cookie cutter truck and be a Contractor. However, I was pretty partial to 1-3 skids or more that paid $2.50-$4.00 per mile X 2 or 3. Just a different business model is all.