Expedite Carrier Telephone Systems

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In a thread started by LDB in the FedEx Custom Critical forum, entitled "Fix the stupid phones," frustrations are voiced. A response follows from a fellow contractor sharing the workaround that contractor developed to ease the burden.

I'm with Leo on this one. That phone system was a pain when Diane and I were there. Now with new no-touch cell phone rules in place, it is even more important to give drivers the ability to work the phone system hands free.

To help Leo make his point, I thought I'd ask, how do other expedite carrier phone systems work? How do they compare to what Leo describes in his post?

At Landstar Express America the phone system is the same as what is used for all other Landstar companies (Ranger, Inway, etc.), which are all run out of the the same headquarters building in Jacksonville, Fla. The LEAM fleet is about 250 trucks in size. The Landstar fleet total tops 8,000 trucks.

When we call to talk to LEAM operations, we dial an 800 number, then press one number, and a human being answers the phone. If you get voice mail (seldom), the call is returned within a reasonable time. When we call to speak to specific departments like logs or settlements or safety or whatever, we dial the main number and say "logs" "settlements" or "safety" or whatever to the computer. The computer then routes us to a human being in the appropriate department. There are no contractor coordinators between us and the people we wish to speak with.

Dispatch is done through a decentralized network of independent agents. Their phone systems differ with the agency but if a human being does not answer the phone directly, you get the rest of the way through, usually to the person who booked and dispatched the load, by pressing one number or dialing an extension.

When the new telephone rules went into effect, people at headquarters started asking us if we were driving when we called. We never have been so do not know what would happen if we said yes, but ask they do.

How do the phone systems at other carriers work?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Panther is pretty simple short of a repeating "you can't use a handheld phone when calling if driving" You do enter a truck number and the system can tell if you are on a load. Everything else is a menu depending on what you are wanting.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
With Bolt, I voice dial the 800# then select a single number option. The phone is answered by a real person, not voice mail (unless I'm trying to reach Driver Relations :rolleyes:).

turritrans

Expert Expediter
Phone systems are all different but essentially work the same. The company programs the system where and to whom to distribute the calls. If your on long holds then there isn't enough staff. Companies are going to be leaning on more technology like QC etc to communicate basic messages to get around the cell phone issue. I would assume most companies only want you to call dispatch only if there is an issue, the on board systems should communicate the basic info such as arrivals, loaded, pods and your dispatch info. A voice activated system my not be practical in transportation... Perhaps a receptionist/ switchboard to quickly route the calls? I can see carriers going to that as cell phone legislation gets tougher.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
you must be special I didnt get an 800 number. :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

800 957 4698 [Copied from the Load 1 sticker on the back of the book I'm reading, lol]
'Training' my cell to accept voice commands is still on my list, but I did program the 2 pauses & menu options when I first put it in the phone.
The list of required numbers to input for FE is just ludicrous, IMO.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Dispatch is done through a decentralized network of independent agents. Their phone systems differ with the agency but if a human being does not answer the phone directly, you get the rest of the way through, usually to the person who booked and dispatched the load

Amen.

I've NEVER been lost in "phone land" , primarily because of folks like Crossen and Little John [landstar]. Phones are always answered, and like you stated, the actual person you talk with, knows exactly the details of the offer. Can't imagine being bound to a system......thats different