Evergreens dieing, dying?

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Coming across Wisconsin today (and into IL) 80% of the evergreens are dead and or dieing or dying. These BTW, are all by the roadways within sloshing distance of a plow. Anyone else notice this?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
i replied twice to this thread and it didnt post. i said something along the lines that i usually see the trees burned on the side facing the road. one explanation was that the roots on the road side of the tree is pulling up the salt runoff. maybe this year with the longer winter more salt was used.

eb

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a combination of things. More salt, for sure, but trees not near roads are turning orange and brown and dying off, as well. Mainly it's just the long, cold winter, which was colder than normal this year and with extended periods to very cold temperatures (there's a reason you don't see very many tress the farther north you go in central Canada). When the ground remains frozen for extended periods, the trees can't replenish moisture (which still happens during the winter), especially when you combine that with harsher winds, more sunlight and an overabundance of reflective snow on the ground.

Then there's the classic Winter Burn, which comes from repeated rapid temperature changes, like extremely cold overnight and then warmer but still sub-freezing temps during the day, especially bright sunlit days. You see that mostly on the south side of trees where the sun is reflected off the snow and burns of the greenery.

When trees are already weaker from the stress of excessively cold winters, Winter Burn stresses the trees even further to the point where most or all of the tree is dead or dying. Adding to that stress is the further stress of disease and insects which healthier trees can fight, but can't when they are so stressed.

These trees dying off started 2 winters ago, and the past winter didn't help much. Minnesota (and Wisconsin) need a relatively wet summer and a relatively mild winter this next year to keep it from getting even worse.

(dieing is when you use a die to cut, stamp or form something).

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I would agree Shelled one, but I am seeing 30' evergreens off the road nearly toast.. The indigenous foliage is fairing quite well so.. Some of the Spruce are easily 8 years into the growth cycle. Pine wilt? IDK

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
New trees, old trees, doesn't matter. Some will survive better than others. The older, more established trees actually have a harder time replenishing the moisture because they need more of it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Here at the house, it appears we've got some of that (winter burn) going on ...

Had two large (5' - 6' diameter) junipers bushes that seem to have been badly effected (>50% foliage die-off) ... neither are anywhere close to a road.

We've got another six or so junipers of similar size or larger that seem completely fine ... and none of the other evergreens (arborvitae, Japanese yews, pine, spruce, Eastern red cedar) seem to have been bothered.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Could also be global warming acid rain and pollution

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using EO Forums mobile app