Enough with Panther Bashing...

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
It is not my intention to throw a rock at the hornets nest....Oh what the hell, all opinions here have merit but only because the perception of said opinions vary by individual circumstance. We run a "CR" unit with the Fed by concientous choice, we have run in a "DR" but have found that a majority of discount freight is heavy or volume freight hence our acceptance rate suffers as we don't do cheap. We have also run for Conway when we 1st started in the business and believe me we did pretty good with them as well. We ran a "D" unit but at a flat rate with a fuel surcharge, we were not held accountable for acceptance and only had to decide if the load took us to an acceptable freight zone. Panther I believe runs the same way and although I cannot speak from experience I would imagine they are a fine company to run for as well. Getting back on point every person, scenario, and expectation is different and it changes daily. Somedays I despise the Fed and expedite in general and any other day I feel like the luckiest guy on earth (perhaps I am Bipolar) but like the question "how much can I make in expedite" the question of who is the best to run for is an open ended question and will vary based on personal needs and attitude. In short if you are an aspiring newbie look past the ego's and ask questions that are centered around your own desires and expectations then without taking any "one" person to seriously disseminate all info and then go out and find the right fit for you.
:D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For people reading this who are not yet expediters, allow me to try a less-prickly explaination.

The C-unit/D-unit debate has gone on for many years in expediting and it will likely go on as long as trucks roll on the road. The fact is there are drivers who succeed in both and drivers who fail in both. On an ongoing basis, there are experienced drivers making changes from and to units of all types (B to E, D to C, dry box to reefer, etc.).

People try and succeed in a wide variety of expeding business models. The key is to be clear on what you want before jumping in and then configuring your business to accomplish that.

Don't let others make you wrong for doing something different than they would do or something they believe cannot be done. Expedting is bigger than what any one person understands it to be. What is unrealistic for some is very realistic for others.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Without a doubt, weight and capacity will offer more
>opportunities.

Absolutely correct. But for us, the opportunities are not numerous enough to justify giving up the creature comforts a large-sleeper, small freight C-unit can provide. It's a personal choice and successful business model. Is that OK?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In short if you are an aspiring
>newbie look past the ego's and ask questions that are
>centered around your own desires and expectations then
>without taking any "one" person to seriously disseminate all
>info and then go out and find the right fit for you.
>:D

Amen!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are happy, driving, and paying for it, who is to complain?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>If you are happy, driving, and paying for it, who is to
>complain?

It appears you do not understand our business. We are not paying to drive. We get paid to drive; such that we're able to purchase and pay for the custom truck we want, enjoy the lifstyle we seek, and prepare for a financially-secure retirement.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are happy, driving, and paying for it, who is to
>complain
=========================================
That statement is in relation to your truck. It would be safe to assume that it was purchased. Most would translate that in to "paying for it".
If it was won at the table in Vegas, then I stand corrected.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Rikk

Expert Expediter
My problem with Panther isn't so much as the pay but the dispatch procedures. #1 they do not split single or team trucks. I have had nothing but single driver loads since this purchase took place. I was also told by 3 different so called managers I would get my settlement (And for you Panther folks "pay") on the 11th... HAHA guess what NOPE! I called a friend that has a fleet that was with conway and the same was done to them. You ask 10 people the same question you get 12 answers.... I keep hearing "Well alot of our staff is new" Too ##### bad, not my problem, I have a business to run too.

Another issue, I don't know if P2 has issues with some of it's drivers but I take pride in owning my own truck, and the service I provide. I WILL NOT BE BABY SAT BY A DISPATCHER THAT HAS NEVER EVEN SEEN A TRUCK! Example, 4 hours early, I figured I would take a break and get somthing to eat. I was sent a message that wa basicly a guilt trip to keep me on the road. P2 was ##### lucky there were no open scales, oh and don't bother with safety, the person I talked to was full of excuses utill he was cornered and admitted it was wrong to send that message.

Your tired of the bashing, look at the posts, they are basicly all the same complaints. Most Con-Way drivers know the shipping lanes well, they know how to run their truck to make money. The way I have been treated it seems P2 has issues with it's drivers or the office folks have a power complex.

One other item with P2. I OWN my truck. You want to treat me like a kid working at mcD's then buy my truck and pay all of the bills. I'll be happy to accept a fair salery and listen to your shallow orders.

In all of my time driving I have NEVER been late to a pickup due to reasons I could avoid, does that count??

I have had people in Driver relations literally avoid me, I'm not yelling at them, just keep catching them in lies.

I have been told by a few P2 drivers that freight is slow in Jan-feb (Which it is for all of Expediting) But the prediction is get out before you loose your truck/house. I have talked With P2 drivers that has been with the company for a while, some are leaving due to the freight and number of trucks now. Have "the most" does not make you "the best" Example in the dot-com world PSINet. It was the first and the largest internet carrier, After a move like this one it went down in a blaze. Grew to fast to keep up, lost works, customers and collapsed under it's own weight.

Am I leaving? I told myself I would give it a month to settle. I am loosing money now as P2 can't seem to find decent loads. If it doesn't clear up soon, P2 will have 1 less team truck. There are other companies out there that understand the driver is a business owner, and has put a lot of money on the line to work in this industry and treat the drivers as such.

Is this "bashing" I don't think so.....

Best wishes and be safe out there

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
>isn't that called opportunity cost?

You got it!

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

G

Well, I guess I would be upset too if I didn't get my pay ontime.
FedEx Custom Critical has never missed paying me my settlement on time. Every week it's in my checking account on Thursdays. I hope things get better for all you Ex Con Way driver's.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

KYoung

Expert Expediter
Conway bashing Panther? In previous post (not just this one) I think all the bashing has come from seasoned Panther drivers. I have yet to meet a happy panther driver out there. I was in Bloomington Illinois a few weeks ago, 10 panther trucks were at the TA, none were happy. Perhaps the unhappy "Conway" (which are now panther) drivers are just echoing the thoughts and opinions of other Panther drivers.

Ken
LEAM 4474

pantherii

Expert Expediter
>Conway bashing Panther? In previous post (not just this
>one) I think all the bashing has come from seasoned Panther
>drivers. I have yet to meet a happy panther driver out
>there.
>
>Ken
>LEAM 4474

Nice to meet you ken, my name is john and im a happy panther driver.
there now you met one.
if all you conway rejects dont like panther then leave

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sometimes the obvious gets overlooked, or an assumption is made on one post within a thread.
There are 52 posts within this thread with three complaining. On another thread, two complained out of 13 posts.
Additionally, of that number, not all currently drive for them.

So, based on 65 posts between two threads, a small handful of people would be a success in light of a transitional period.

With regards to pay, that should correct itself as we have never had a check withheld. Once you can go online, you will be able to review all runs, when they received your paperwork, and when it pays out. It will also include all comdata and advance activities.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

blacktiger

Expert Expediter
I don't think you know Dave. If ya did, you would not have that thinking. Met him in Knoxville with eo people and he knows whats going on.
Sorry, buy you aint in the same league.

George

greg334

Veteran Expediter
George,
Because there are now 56 posts here and they are out of order, just wondering who are you saying that to?

blacktiger

Expert Expediter
>George,
>Because there are now 56 posts here and they are out of
>order, just wondering who are you saying that to?

To the a team in response to number 45

George

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dave,

How can I get online to check my account. Many things have never been explained to me. And to make matters worse I'm on Double Secret Probation for my problems yesterday. Woe is me.