Embracee The Stupidity

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was thinking....Question...

Does Panther or any carrier for the matter get permission to swap these loads? I mean some customers chose to expedite just for the fact it won't be handled more then 1 time and stay on the 1 truck, with the less likely chance of damage.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
You are talking about customer service but what I am also hearing is that it is about ethics. This is like being pregnant. You can't have a little bit of ethics. So if you are talking about doing what is right by the customer but willing to stick it to Panther any chance you get I am not sure where you have the issue.

Panther is your customer as well and if they have changed you to the point that you have no issue cheating them, then maybe it is time to move on and do business with someone you can respect.

Had a very heated discussion with a driver that had no issue with a customer that would look to cheat us at any chance they got because "they made good money". When it is about money first and ethics down the line you are doing something wrong.

Look at all these "great" carriers that set-up 3PL's to work with the customer and then broker the freight back to themselves while they are paying drivers percentage. I will never understand why drivers know they are getting cheated and stay with a carrier.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
I was thinking....Question...

Does Panther or any carrier for the matter get permission to swap these loads? I mean some customers chose to expedite just for the fact it won't be handled more then 1 time and stay on the 1 truck, with the less likely chance of damage.

Most will have what I call the "Penske Clause". Ultimately the carrier has the decision how to get the freight moved. This protects them so they can do this if they haven't talked to the customer. But if it happens too often without the customer knowing they will loose the customer.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For me that is a signal to intervene by offering a practical solution to what is usually a simple problem made complex by people who are clueless about the industry that employs them or just plain lazy.

All true. It also happens that simple problems get made complex by people who mean well, do the best they can with what they have to work with, but also lack the perspective or information that drivers often have.

When a shipper or dispatcher sees only part of the picture and understands one's job to be one thing in particular, the decisions made and actions taken can be quite different than they would be if they had the benefit of the driver's perspective and information. So too when the purpose is seen as making a problem disappear from one's desk.

Drivers tend to see the solution in terms of getting the freight delivered and making sure the customers are served. Shippers and dispatchers will say the same thing if asked, but the reality is many of them have different reasons for doing what they do (like a boss breathing down their neck, a policy that must be followed for its own sake, sales or production goals to be met, or making one problem go quickly away because there are ten more to resolve before you have to get to day care to pick up the kids).

With our former carrier, it happened every now and then that a load went badly wrong. Some of our most satisfying times there developed when we worked with a seasoned dispatcher who actually listened to our suggestions and was willing to work with us to get the job done in a way that got us paid, made the company look great and delighted the customer (a Purple Promise fulfilled!).

Something very interesting developed when we moved to Landstar Express America. While serving many of the very same customers, hauling the very same freight from and to the very same docks, the number of problem loads of the type you describe dropped to zero. That's right, zero.

After reading your story, I asked Diane, what problem loads have we had since we joined Landstar Express America? We both sat silent for a few minutes trying to remember some and could remember none.

We have had a few (very few) loads cancel on us at the last minute but when that happens, "truck ordered not used" pay is quickly given without us having to ask for it. More often than not, the amount is more than double what we used to get at our former carrier, if there it was given at all. So too with detention time when unexpected or planned detention develops.

We had one load go bad once when an inside pickup of a few pieces turned into a truckload of dozens of pieces that had to be boxed, pad-wrapped, etc.; and we had to go to the store to buy packing materials, etc., and both of us had to go on duty on our log books to do the work. But that was not a problem load that only grew worse the more people tried to fix it.

We were of course paid for the extra stop, work and time; and to our amazement the agent who dispatched the load came to the pickup late on a Friday night to help with the work. To make sure the customer was served and that we -- drivers unknown to him at the time -- were up to the task, the agent canceled his Friday night family outing to come to the pick up, break sweat and move freight with us.

That was a rare event because it almost never happens at our present carrier that crazy situations develop like the one you described above. That is because the agents who work directly with the shippers to book the loads are also the very same people who work directly with drivers and dispatch the trucks.

The "stupidity" does not develop because the agents know the big picture and for them, customer service is an up close and personal thing. These agents sell our services and to do so, they often visit shipper facilities and meet with and/or talk with them regularly to develop and cultivate relationships. They also develop relationships with drivers and often know well the drivers they use. They practice customer service and driver communications like they mean it ... because they really do mean it.

You lost me with this one.

If you are not tangled up on a load that has gone badly wrong, you are free to accept and do other loads that probably wont' go badly wrong.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
You are talking about customer service but what I am also hearing is that it is about ethics. This is like being pregnant. You can't have a little bit of ethics. So if you are talking about doing what is right by the customer but willing to stick it to Panther any chance you get I am not sure where you have the issue.

Panther is your customer as well and if they have changed you to the point that you have no issue cheating them, then maybe it is time to move on and do business with someone you can respect.

Had a very heated discussion with a driver that had no issue with a customer that would look to cheat us at any chance they got because "they made good money". When it is about money first and ethics down the line you are doing something wrong.

Look at all these "great" carriers that set-up 3PL's to work with the customer and then broker the freight back to themselves while they are paying drivers percentage. I will never understand why drivers know they are getting cheated and stay with a carrier.

Huh?

He left $600 on the table, and bent over backwards to save face....for Panther.

I think he did his job....and then some.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
It just gets soooooo old. I recall a few "disagreements" over the years with dispatchers.

1. "No you don't have 52" between your wheel wells in your van."
2. "No you can't average 72 mph running from MI to Laredo. It's impossible."
3. "You're a solo, you can't run 1600 miles straight."
4. "You have a cargo van. You can't fit 3 skids.

An average of 72 mph form Mi to Laredo? they're right... you can't. legally or safely....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Huh?

He left $600 on the table, and bent over backwards to save face....for Panther.

Don't let the cargo van fool you, because Moot always does the job and then some, because he is a professional. Panther doesn't deserve him, but his quirky humor keeps him there anyhow. And the rest of us get to laugh about embracing the stupidity, instead of living with it, so it's all good. :D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Don't let the cargo van fool you, because Moot always does the job and then some, because he is a professional. Panther doesn't deserve him, but his quirky humor keeps him there anyhow. And the rest of us get to laugh about embracing the stupidity, instead of living with it, so it's all good. :D

That's mean, we get to feel better about our lives and laugh at someone else's suffering. I like it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My reply was meant for Big Bill, not K9 [who knows it already, I think.]
And the reasons why drivers 'let' carriers cheat them is mainly because it's well hidden - they have no idea of the layers between shipper & consignee, or the ownership of some of those layers. Investigating the issue may provide the answer for them, but it won't provide more work, I bet.
All we can do is accept loads that pay what we require, and refuse loads that don't. As DaveKC says: keep it simple.

Tomtom

Active Expediter
My reply was meant for Big Bill, not K9 [who knows it already, I think.]
And the reasons why drivers 'let' carriers cheat them is mainly because it's well hidden - they have no idea of the layers between shipper & consignee, or the ownership of some of those layers. Investigating the issue may provide the answer for them, but it won't provide more work, I bet.
All we can do is accept loads that pay what we require, and refuse loads that don't. As DaveKC says: keep it simple.

Some companies are so blatant about it that you don't have to do any research. They open a 3PL and house them in the same building.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are talking about customer service but what I am also hearing is that it is about ethics.
This is business. Don't go mucking it up by bringing ethics and pregnancy into the discussion.

So if you are talking about doing what is right by the customer but willing to stick it to Panther any chance you get I am not sure where you have the issue.
That makes two of us. I was just relating a day in my life.

No Panther is not my customer. We are partners. I know this to be true because they told me so. Cheating them. Where did you come up with that?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Huh?

He left $600 on the table, and bent over backwards to save faces....for Panther.

Thank you AJ! I hate to nit pick after reading your kind words but the correct word is faces, plural. Panther has two faces.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey, don't be too hard on Moot. He told Pat he wanted to buy an E and unbeknownst to him they were having a buy two get one free special. :rolleyes: