Electrical issues

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
After reading all the linked material, my head is about to explode! If we go the dual battery bank route, where do I go to have this done? I was guessing an RV shop, most likely, or to Bentz, but we live in the Atlanta area. How much should I expect to spend, parts and labor?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are right on track. A good RV dealer, or Bentz would be your best choice followed by ICT or ARI. You need someone that is good with electrical installs and diagnostic procedures.
For that reason, I would avoid a standard truck dealer unless you really have a lot of confidence in their ability.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
Thanks, does anyone have a S.W.A.G. (Scientifice Wild A** Guess) about the cost? Need to work it into the budget.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No idea on a budget ballpark. Other than what you spend on batteries and cables, cable lugs, regulators, isolators, etc., it all comes down to labor. Someone who knows what they are doing should be able to do the entire thing in a day, so plan labor costs accordingly.

Talk to truck dealers, making sure one is intimate with electrical issues. RV dealers (but those can be really hit and miss, some are good, some are clueless). Also, talk to a really good auto electric guy. And, if you're near the ocean or a large water recreation area, this stuff is old hat to a marine electric guy.

Greg, I agree with ya. At the Expo I talked with the IdleBuster folks. Nice folks, but the system comes standard with a 30amp battery charger, with a 90 amp charger being an available option. Wow. That's where, when you talk to guys dealing with marine electronics, alternators, generators and batteries, it's hard to find a system that's less than 150 amp in the alternator. It's the same as what we do. I just don't know why the trucking industry is so far out of whack.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As for the cost, figure out that it will take 4 to 5 hours labor to do a good job and you will need the batteries, the MAX fuse or Jumbo fuse and holder, the proper cabling and the proper tray or holder (depending on where you want them).

I would say a good job would be at least $400 but I can see it climbing to $550 or $600 if they knock up the price of the parts to retail.

I did get an estimate for replacement cables and a set of batteries for my truck at $400 but that is with good cables, not the OEM open ended type.

Turtle,

The trucking industry has been behind the rest of the world for a long time and not soon to catch up. I think that the vendors of these sleepers just use out of the box or off the shelf solutions because they don't know better or really care and the same goes for the APU manufactures. I know there is a difference between the RV life and the truck life and for some reason on the mass production of things, many feel that an RV fridge or heater is good enough because it passed 3 months on the road on a babied test vehicle.

APUs are capable of providing a lot more than A/C and/or 12 volts but the units I looked at seemed to be all cobbled together with pretty much the same parts as my reefer.