Eclipse expediting pros and cons

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
any of these small carriers can run into a cash flow problem, especially if they don't have enough line of credit....imagine all 10 vans run hard for a pay period then 7 days later the paychecks are due....Bam...and some of the invoices from last week are unpaid still....now they either have to factor some or delay pay checks till the BOLs are paid to them....imagine the choice the company has...feed their own family or pay you....guess who is going to be waiting for their money....

guido4475

Not a Member
any of these small carriers can run into a cash flow problem, especially if they don't have enough line of credit....imagine all 10 vans run hard for a pay period then 7 days later the paychecks are due....Bam...and some of the invoices from last week are unpaid still....now they either have to factor some or delay pay checks till the BOLs are paid to them....imagine the choice the company has...feed their own family or pay you....guess who is going to be waiting for their money....

I used to work for a company that ran into that problem often.To reduce their money going out for that good paying week, they would deduct not only the fuel used for that pay period, but the week the payday fell on as well.Sure, the fuel will eventually come out of you're pocket eventually, but when you get a good check, and are expecting that money, it hurts when it is not what you expected, and had plans for, to catch up on expenses.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
Its a personal decision but no one has yet shown me proof you can make more with multiple carriers than one good one.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

I am not saying that I make more my ytd with eclipse is only 28k. It would take me awhile to seperate out the others carriers I run for because I also run a flatbed hotshot and another van with landstar,tri-state,panther
but I will say I make more out of life and do it on less money and spend more time at home.I have no carrier fees taken out of my settlements so if I want to take off for 30 days it only cost me around $50 a week to let my van sit and dont have no one calling me saying I need to go in service.

like I said I use multi carriers because the dispatch @ eclipse is fair and when they got 50 vans in a 50 mile area and I am just dropping off I dont want to wait 5 days for a load. I could probabley avg 40+ a year with 1 van @ eclipse if I did everything correctly.you most likely do much more but we all know the best exclusive use companies dont run 10 yr old vans and dont always take on vans now do they

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Ok we got lost off topic i know from personal experiance mutiples will get you out of a bad area faster then single carriers ... i only care about eclipse right now realy if your just gona tear apart personal choices and oppions like liberals dont bother replying plz thanks kw if agin if you know of or own a busy truck needin a hard runnin driver i dont wana own right now for personal reasons

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok we got lost off topic i know from personal experiance mutiples will get you out of a bad area faster then single carriers ... i only care about eclipse right now realy if your just gona tear apart personal choices and oppions like liberals dont bother replying plz thanks kw if agin if you know of or own a busy truck needin a hard runnin driver i dont wana own right now for personal reasons

For staters it is impossible to know tha6 can get you out of a bad area before a single operator unless you have drove for all carriers. On the second subject sorry it is an open forum i know that is frustrating at times but it is something we must all deal with. Yes like i said before it is a personal choice.

We always have to remember others read these threads looking for info and opinions on running multiples can be helpful to those people thinking about it.

Last edited:

Wally517

Active Expediter
Hey Stonewolf. I have been running for eclipse for the past year. Feel free to pm or i can even give you my number. I know its my first post here but i figured i would chime in.
Thanks, Tyler

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Not necessarily true. I have 3k in company reserves right now. I can go under, pay all of my drivers, and outside carriers and still walk away with 3k in profits. The only thing that can affect a smaller carrier is if they are over-extended, or if the get charged back by their factoring company for some shippers or brokers that are over 70 days to pay. At which point I would just dip into the reserve account or my personal account to cover the slight difference. I don't nor do I ever want a huge house, fancy car, or any of that. My business partner is also quite frugal. I make my copule grand a month and I am content to not have to live in the van anymore. My drivers are going to get paid no matter what happens.

Now as far as Eclipse goes I still have a van leased on with them and I have been getting paid on time. I don't think Eclipse is going to go under. They move a lot of freight, and they have paid every driver I've ever worked with on time. Also, there is nothing wrong with going to a 3 week pay period as most of the bigger companies out there have a 2 to 3 week pay period. It just means they are changing their pay policy, and if youdon't like the new policy change, then you don't have to contract with them. They also have a quick pay program. I'd hardly think a carrier that is trying to rip people off would have a next day pay program for their drivers. I also offer the same thing and one of my new drivers decided to use it because he didn't trust me, and he was paid the next day, and now he knows that my company pays.

The LRT situation was a company that got too big too fast. They were paying 1300 a month just for advertisemts, and three dispatchers, and recruiter, and an office etc. That is called over-extending yourself. I have very low overhead and I have enough reserves put away to cover my overhead for atleast 4 months without even making a dime. I used to run my cargo van business the same way which is why I was able go through three vans in 5 years and still remain in business. Don't bash all of the small carriers and jump on the hater bandwagen. Every large carrier once started out as a small carrier with no reputation, no payment history, and no major brand name recognition.

Last edited by a moderator:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paying three weeks out is ridiculous going from one to three weeks likely does say something. Their is a reason companies change policies mid stride.

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Ok by the owner and eclipse dispatch i have been told 2 weeks till first check never 3 weeks till pay ... and there are many threads on muti carriers why do we have to go over this agin and i will say it agin yes i have gotten out in hours instead of weeks when multi leased it was cheep most of the time but i wont hang out in larado or ontario like some of you older guys i got a family ... and yes its an open forum but your doing it to be antagonistic your last post proved it

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No i do not post for that reason. My last post was an opinion plain and simple. No different than your opinion on getting out of places faster with multi carriers. Glad to hear two weeks that's much better imho.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No i do not post for that reason. My last post was an opinion plain and simple. No different than your opinion on getting out of places faster with multi carriers. Glad to hear two weeks that's much better imho.

There could be a problem, but at this point it is merely speculation. You have two drivers saying something different than the majority of their drivers. There are many resaons for changing pay structures. I used to pay my drivers the same day but what happens if a freight claim is filed a day after the load is delivered? What recourse would I have as a company owner if I didn't hold back pay for 10 days?

There are many different reasons why carriers change up their policies. I just don't like the fact that one or two people can come on here and try and defame a carrier's reputation when the vast majority of their drivers do not feel the same way. I'd like to hear from more of their drivers before I rush to judgement.

I have 30 vans that are leased on with my company and Eclipse and none of them are complaining about getting paid on time. At least 10 of those 30 vans lease with me and Eclipse exclusively, and they like us both. The biggest compliment that I get about Eclipse and myself is that we pay faster than most of the companies out there. So I don't see how drivers are having problems with them. But, hey, I might be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Sry im a lil off the handle right now no sleep and deffinately not enough coffee lol ... i think im gona sign with em

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
There could be a problem, but at this point it is merely speculation. You have two drivers saying something different than the majority of their drivers. There are many resaons for changing pay structures. I used to pay my drivers the same day but what happens if a freight claim is filed a day after the load is delivered? What recourse would I have as a company owner if I didn't hold back pay for 10 days?

There are many different reasons why carriers change up their policies. I just don't like the fact that one or two people can come on here and try and defame a carrier's reputation when the vast majority of their drivers do not feel the same way. I'd like to hear from more of their drivers before I rush to judgement.

I have 30 vans that are leased on with my company and Eclipse and none of them are complaining about getting paid on time. At least 10 of those 30 vans lease with me and Eclipse exclusively, and they like us both. The biggest compliment that I get about Eclipse and myself is that we pay faster than most of the companies out there. So I don't see how drivers are having problems with them. But, hey, I might be wrong.

Eclipse was a carrier I was with and they weren't the carrier i did most of my runs for, they did get me moving when others couldn't and every single time i was paid on time every Friday. I think they are a great company and fair. Thumbs up

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I used to work for a company that ran into that problem often.To reduce their money going out for that good paying week, they would deduct not only the fuel used for that pay period, but the week the payday fell on as well.Sure, the fuel will eventually come out of you're pocket eventually, but when you get a good check, and are expecting that money, it hurts when it is not what you expected, and had plans for, to catch up on expenses.

back in the late 90's I used to work for a company that did that same thing. some off the wall small carrier.oh now I remember the name yeah it was panther II transportation at that time.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Was that aginst LRT or eclipse?

Eclipse paid me on time. LRT paid me after a brutal screaming match ! But eclipse had a different name when I pulled frieght for them like all in expediting or something like that he always was saying we are all in. I dont remember now. but I do remember he wanted me to haul a semi load in a straight truck and went insane cussing me out saying I am a idiot and loser, and moron and many other words he is nuts.

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks trans ... in lookin to set up a sign on this week if there insurance wont cover me i got a company waiting to start my policys so its down to there time alotment lol ... thank you all

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
After watching this thread for a while i'd have to agree with the common belief of the readers. My EXPERIENCE with Tom is, he is right in his proper spot close to the pot with his fingers in it. He has no business (self realized) dealing with contractors or drivers, because of his on the spot eruptions. He is unable to be a driver (as proven to me in the past) because of the same eruptions. Anyone who chooses to do business with this crew....do so with open eyes...if the pot gets threatened the finger will do the walking. First!!

jamesr

Active Expediter
Hello all I am one of the owners of Eclipse Expediting LLC. Just doing some reading I dont get on here to much. For Trip pack this was put into place to try and pay faster being many were being lost as we were told in the mail. We never have had money problems and in general only time it would take longer then a week to pay is if the driver 1 holding on to the bol or Trip pack messed up is known to happen. Will make more comments im sure as I read more. ps Owners are myself James Ray and Shawn Ray , Tom is in billing department as for drivers no longer working with us valid reasons.

jamesr

Active Expediter
I think I have read most all post let me set afew things right.
Eclipse Expediting LLC. Eclipse Expediting LLC.
Owners myself James Ray and my brother Shawn Ray , Tom Ray runs the billing department.
AmericaExpedited llc Owners were Tom Ray , Bruce Barrett and other company was Closed in early 2011.. in good standings
Allinexpediting Owner Bruce Barrett relationship Toms Brother our uncle. no longer in business
LRT Owners not sure nothing to do with that company. no longer in business

Allinexpediting was started before Eclipse Expediting we were doing their billing to start and then Bruce wanted someone else to do it after that the 2 companies did not do business together.
We had our own fleets own websites and own way of doing things.

LRT went out of business and some time after we found that some that working there were looking for work. So we currently have one that works with us.

Eclipse Expediting LLC Pay we require most of the time the original BoLs in order to pay drivers yes their was drivers that took alot of calls to get the BoLs to us very few remain due to at the end of the year we were excepting fax or email copys once we got these in they were payed.

PS to drivers that currently work with us if you are not happy with your dispatcher or the company please give me a call at 616-299-0837 I would be happy to talk with you and address any problems you may have or just to talk for a min or two. Thank you all and have a Great new year.

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Wow thanks for your time but unfortunately i have gona with a lousy owner and i doubt you fleet is still lookin lol

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using EO Forums mobile app