E150 upgrade to E350

jimare

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Guy's, I read where you can beef up a 3/4 suspension to a 1 ton, Question can you upgrade a 1/2 suspension to handle 1 ton, and have DMV rate it 1 ton?
Thanks Gizmo

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The DMV does not, any where in this country, have a thing to do with changing the weight of light duty vehicle.

Strictly talkiing about vans the manufacture is the only one who can change the rating of any vehicle and make it legal.

Some DMVs will issue plates that will say 12k or what ever for vans, but when you get pulled over and they look at that sticker on the door and it says 6500lbs GVRW and you have 2800 lbs of cargo, you ain't going anywhere until the weight is off the truck.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
has greg said, the DMV has nothing to do with it...but unless you have a wrecked 1 tom van sitting there to swap EVERYTHING over, and you are doing all the work yourself, you could buy a 1 ton van cheaper then this conversion could be done......

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Once the swap is done, than what? you still are stuck with the tag on the door frame.

It is far far better thing you do by buying a one ton then try to do something on the cheap.

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
What if you change the door frame with the tag from a 1-Ton?

Ok, I know... but I'm just saying....

Buy a 1 ton junker and take all the parts including the vin and door sticker..

But then again, it would be cheaper to just buy a 1-ton.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
tried to get a 12k changed down to 10k. could not find anyone who could do the plate for the door frame.

buy the one ton van.

jimare

Seasoned Expediter
Yo Guy's, it was just an idea not to bright, but it was mine. Still looking for and E350 or E350 box.
Later Gizmo

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No harm in asking, some think of ideas and those ideas are sometimes great other times not so great.

Today I looked at three 2005 Ford one ton vans that were sold down the street from my truck, they were ok, could have used some work here and there but not one of them was over $3500.

Jack, you could have asked Ford to send you a new tag, they can do that.