E-Track Brackets

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi people:)

Looking for E-Track brackets (the kind you can drop a 2x4 in)... does any place sell them besides truck stops,and their over priced merchandise? Like Home depot or the like?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
They are also called wood sockets or wood beam sockets. They are commonly sold in trailer shops at prices far less than truck stops. In any city, use the yellow pages to find truck trailer services, or Great Dane, Utility, or Wabash dealers.

New Haven Moving Equipment sells them. They have stores in several cities. They also offer a free freight-handling-equipment catalog. If you are in to tools, trucks and the like, this catalog is better than Playboy. Come to think of it, even if you are not into tools, trucks and the like, the catalog is better than Playboy.

See the New Haven web site for store locations and to order a free catalog.

http://www.newhaven-usa.com

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Those brackets are good if you want to use a 2x4 to hang blankets over or put a piece of plywood on for a shelf or maybe if you are going to put them behind your freight. You can't pull enough g's to slide skids back hard enough to break them I don't think but I would never put them in front of freight. One panic stop and all bets are off. I can see skids and snapped 2x4's going right through the nose of the box.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, I dunno. In a cargo van, one skid weighing in at 300 pounds, and being up to three feet high, one set of brackets and a 2x4 at floor level is more than enough to keep the skid right where it is. On the other hand, a 1500 pound skid, placed like two feet behind a single 2x4 load bar, giving it plenty of room to build up speed and, yeah, that'll snap a 2x4 load bar in a, well, in a snap. But a skid or two of empty milk crates, a 2x4 load bar or two is all that is needed. Some loads can be secured with 2x4's, some need to be secured with ratchet straps or other tie-downs.

Common sense and some caution should be used when using brackets and a 2x4 load bar. I've seen it happen with 3 or 4 drivers now where they'll get complacent (or lazy) and just use one load bar at floor level for a high skid, or for a top-heavy skid. In a panic stop, it probably won't snap the 2x4, but it can flip right over the top of it.

It thoroughly ruined the driver's day, but one of the funniest things I've ever seen was a driver who had a single drum, 750 pounds, not on a skid. Had it placed a foot or so inside the back door, and a couple of feet in front of that he strung a single e-track strap between the two sidewalls of his 2-week old Sprinter, to keep the drum from flying through the windshield. He loaded just before I did at the shipper, and I questioned his securement methods, but he assured me that he knew what he was doing, as he's done this a hundred times before.

A few miles into the trip he had a panic stop and the drum didn't fly anywhere, but it did slam into the strap, causing the walls to nearly slap together. Totaled the van.

So whether it's a 2x4 or a strap, it must be used properly.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With the narrower width of a van and lighter weights it could work sometimes. I was thinking of and speaking of using an 8' 2x4 in a d unit.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo
I have two sets (actually three but only use two) of etrack - on the floor and 16" above it. I don't use the upper tracks to hold the skid but the bottom etracks. I had 1800 lbs on a skid and had a panic stop the skid didn't move a bit using the floor etrack. I also used straps for lateral movement and a safety net for forward movement.

I know that many don't trust this setup but got to tell you it is much safer than the etrack on the side walls.

Oh I saw this van a a few months ago that had rivets along the side. when the guy open the door, he mounted the etrack along the actual sheet metal wall. He cut the verticle post to fit the etrack.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, in a cargo van, you're talking about a 4' 2x4, and as long as the skid is close to 48", the wood will be sturdy enough to handle most loads. But an 8-foot 2x4, well, there's a lot of even light loads that would snap through that pretty easily. If the skid wasn't secured at floor level, something as light as a couple hundred pounds would slice right through it in a panic stop.

I think in a tractor or straight truck, I'd be using for-real load bars, and about the only thing I'd use the 2x4 brackets for would be for shelving braces.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greg, I have 4 rows in the truck at floor, 18", 36" and 66" levels. I always have one bar at floor level and one bar higher as a minimum. Depending on the freight I may have 2 bars higher to stop forward movement. The bars are basically against the skids and cargo so there's no more than maybe 1/3" room for forward movement, if that. I usually use straps at the back since I can't drag race start and slide it backward. I have a couple of the brackets and 8' length of 2x4's. One is used to hang my blankets on and the other is used to park the pallet jack against. They work well for that without using an expensive etrack bar. I'll be getting a couple more to use to put up a shelf. I'd use them in a van because as mentioned the much shorter length of 2x4 would be more resistant to breaking and there are no aluminum bars in van width that I know of.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Those brackets are best for use on the floor of a van, also as a place for a drop down bed to rest. Definately more conveniant than nailing 2x4 to the floor!

(photo courtesy of a post by dieseldoctor)