Driving Record question

Ccochran09

Active Expediter
I am looking to get into my own van very soon . One big question I have is . If I own my van does my driving record play as big or a part when leasing on to a company as it would if I was driving for someone else ?

How many points etc will a company allow you to have if you're an o/o ?

I know it would affect my personal insurance rate just wondering if it'll affect me leasing on with companies. Don't want to buy a van and then not be able to lease it on and make money .

Please give any advice to might wish to offer

Thank you for your time .

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I don't think it will make any difference whether your the owner or just driving for an owner. Each carrier will likely have different standards, so a phone call to each carrier that your interested in leasing to is probably in order. If your driving for someone else now....its quite likely that you could lease on to that carrier with your own equipment. But, again, I would confirm that with a phone call before I spent the money.

Monty

Expert Expediter
If you care to share, what is on your MVR that bothers you?

If it is a DUI, you have a problem.

Ccochran09

Active Expediter
No DUI I have a total of thirteen points 10 of which fall off this coming up year. I know driving for someone else is just about out of the question . Who would you recommend calling about leasing on with ?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The carriers have to go with what the insurance companies want, and I'd be surprised if anyone would touch you with that many. Can't hurt to make calls, but that would be the very first thing I'd mention in order to not waste too much of the recruiters time or yours.

Wow, I can't imagine how someone racks up that many.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
There is a recruiter forum on this website, maybe you could better information there. In fact, maybe this thread needs to be there anyway (moderators?)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Highway Star is correct: the carrier's standards are set by the insurance requirements, and they don't really care about owner vs driver, it's all about the liability [or potential] reflected by the driver's record.
With 13 points now, yours is not very good. I'd call the recruiters and ask if your chances would be much better a year from now, when most of the points are off, because I don't know how the insurance carriers would see it then.

Ccochran09

Active Expediter
The carriers have to go with what the insurance companies want, and I'd be surprised if anyone would touch you with that many. Can't hurt to make calls, but that would be the very first thing I'd mention in order to not waste too much of the recruiters time or yours.

Wow, I can't imagine how someone racks up that many.

Florida holds points against you for three years from the date you pay them .. Drive close to 200k miles a year and your chances are very high.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Luckily you dont live in The Peoples Republic of New York. A manditory "driver improvement fee "one hundred bucks per point per year if you want to drive. Depending on what convictions the points are for is probly the most significant issue. Also level with the recruiter and let them know what the original infraction was. A trafic tickett is a written arrest and is public information. This can be obtained if employeers include it in the background check depending on how deep they want to look.Ive been told driving records can be recovered up to five years.

Bob Wolf

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He might have the best luck with, gasp, the multi carrier route where you carry your own insurance.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Ccochran09

Active Expediter
He might have the best luck with, gasp, the multi carrier route where you carry your own insurance.

Luckily you dont live in The Peoples Republic of New York. A manditory "driver improvement fee "one hundred bucks per point per year if you want to drive. Depending on what convictions the points are for is probly the most significant issue. Also level with the recruiter and let them know what the original infraction was. A trafic tickett is a written arrest and is public information. This can be obtained if employeers include it in the background check depending on how deep they want to look.Ive been told driving records can be recovered up to five years.

Bob Wolf

Two are speeding tickets and one is rolling through a stop sign.

I was thinking about buying and leasing it on somewhere and putting a driver in it until my record clears. Would that be better ?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 speeding and 1 stop sign are 13 points? Is there a careless or wreckless in there?

Doesn't sound like it adds up...

Ccochran09

Active Expediter

No careless or reckless.

Forgot to add a failure to obey traffic device 3 pts

Stop sign 3

Speeding 4

Speeding 3

3 fall off in Feb
4 fall off in July
3 fall off in Dec

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have the cash get the van your own authority, and insurance and work for a small local delivery carrier. I like to recomend newbees do this so you will have a chance to cut youre teeth and decide if you have what it takes to put up with the way we do business and the B.S. shippers and receivers like to play on you. Also the points may not be as much of an issue and the experiance helps. It goes without saying, be carefull and dont get anymore ticketts.

As for hiring a driver You need to have motor carrier authority, full auto, business, workmans comp, and health insurances as well as what federal, state, and, local governments require, and have enough work to pay him or her, and hope like hell they show up for work, dont wreck your vehical, and follow the regs or desert your vehical somewhere, or destroy your freight I can go on forever.
Remember, If they screw up it counts against you as a carrier with your insurances, your customers, the government, and the public. Even if you fire them the points stay on your record and reputation for a long time and that can kill your business overnite. Needless to say I would rather drink a gallon of gasoline and pisz on a forest fire. The chances of survival are much better than hiring someone.
Good luck.
Bob Wolf

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the meantime, may I suggest slowing down and paying attention to signs? That many speeding tickets and blowing off stop sign points causes trouble for a reason, and if you rack up enough of them not being able to sign on with a carrier will be the least of your worries. Your insurance carrier follows the points too, and at some point you're not worth the risk for them to cover you. Some states will take away your driving privileges for a period of time if it gets too high too.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Two are speeding tickets and one is rolling through a stop sign.
From the above, one could conclude you are an impatient person. Impatience is one of the characteristics of a Type A personality. In my opinion, people with a strong Type A personality are probably not best suited for the expedite industry and usually don't last long in it. There is a lot of waiting between loads, dealing with shippers, chaos, stop signs, dispatchers, confusion and traffic.

If you are not a strong Type A personality, call around as suggested. If you can't lease on with any carrier because of your driving record, wait until you can, and then buy a van. Or, if you can afford your own insurance, go the multi carrier route. I would strongly suggest you avoid buying a van and putting a driver in it.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
As for hiring a driver You need to have motor carrier authority, full auto, business, workmans comp, and health insurances as well as what federal, state, and, local governments require, and have enough work to pay him or her, and hope like hell they show up for work, dont wreck your vehical, and follow the regs or desert your vehical somewhere, or destroy your freight I can go on forever.
Remember, If they screw up it counts against you as a carrier with your insurances, your customers, the government, and the public. Even if you fire them the points stay on your record and reputation for a long time and that can kill your business overnite. Needless to say I would rather drink a gallon of gasoline and pisz on a forest fire. The chances of survival are much better than hiring someone.
Good luck.
Bob Wolf

Wow Bob, can I call you for some reassurance on profitably adding more trucks to my one owner operated truck fleet? LOL. All joking aside, these are just some of the reasons why I don't plan to add any trucks, along with the stress related headaches and a few sleepless nights. My empathy to the fleet owners who continue to operate successfully, you are an asset to this country we call America.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tend to come across rough at times but I call it like I see it, I choose not to blow sunshine up anyones asz. I had employes in the past in my construction days and needless to say it didnt work out..

Give your insurance agent a call and sign up for a driver course they usually deduct points from your M.V.R. or give you a discount on your insurance for a couple years.
I did mention working for a local delivery they can usually get you working and somone willing to spend a nite or two away form home is in your favor thats what I did when I started. They pay you as a sub contractor at an agreed rate important thing is know what it will cost you per mile and per hour. As a van driver the driving record may be less of an issue. Getting your own authority will cost you abbout 500 bucks it may be more now, plus insurance, and other fees Ive had mine for a few years and it has paid off.

Feel free to PM me if you want advice.

Good luck
Bob Wolf