Drivers Destroy New Truck!!!

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sometimes $500 ain't enough for the damages and income loss they bring to the fleet owner...

Easier to just let them quit right out of orientation rather then having to deal with the headache. Been there done that more then once!

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I see over the years, is many don't do their due diligence when looking for new hires. Really review past employment and history and look at where they live. Even google earth will give you a clue. If someones house is trashed, there's a sign. Nothing is ever guaranteed, but at least you can minimize the risk. People are always a fleet owners greatest asset. It is never the equipment. Cheaper to leave it parked while you find the right ones.

Parked for 6 months no fees until contract signed. Still holding out. Lost one guy out of orientation to another owner, 2nd guy didn't show up to orientation after countless hours of answering questions on phone. 3rd guy sleep apnea machine broke and said he didn't have $2k to replace it. 4th guy still waiting for one to come around. :)

Reactions: Opel2010

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
The fleet owner charges $25.00/week. So far it seems to be working! Time will tell. I really like the fact that this particular fleet owner has a check list..

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
$1000 dollar Escrow from fleet owner to driver? I like the idea... However I've never met a driver who actually had $200-300 start up money in their pockets, so taking $1000 from them would be incomprehensible!
$50 per week till it reaches the requested amount...

Reactions: AnneM

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Easier to just let them quit right out of orientation rather then having to deal with the headache. Been there done that more then once!
Not quite so... some carriers apply orientation fees, some really high orientation fees, which of course these fees are the driver's responsibility, but if the driver quits before starting the job, the carrier will charge the fleet owner...

guido4475

Not a Member
I just do not understand how drivers can treat someone else's property so poorly!

We drive for the best fleet-owner in the Expedite business, I am sure there are other awesome fleet-owners but I really feel ours is the best! He goes out of his way to make sure we drivers are comfortable and have everything we need out here on the road.

He gives us the best trucks with all the luxuries including Sirrus radios, in-motion TV with 169 channels, every luxury imaginable, and our fleets are one of the best paid on the road with total honesty in pay! He is always striving to make it better and easier on us drivers! You cannot get a better fleet-owner. However, some unscrupulous drivers feel the need to absolutely destroy his beautiful new trucks! Don't these people have self-respect for themselves or for others anymore! Drivers ditching trucks, causing the owners to have to retrieve them from thousand of miles away, returning these awesome new trucks with broken filthy sleepers and thousands of dollars of damage! Shame on you! This is why we drivers get a bad image in the trucking industry! Why can't drivers and owners treat each other with respect!

A driver should always treat a fleet-owners truck just as they would want the truck to be treated if they were the trucks owner! You would not want someone to destroy your property so do not destroy theirs! Personally I think these truck-owners should hold a driver accountable for their behavior take them to court and make them pay for the damage they are causing!

To the drivers that are doing this . . . SHAME ON YOU!
It is amazing how many so called drivers have made it years in this industry, when they really can't drive as a professional should. To be a fleet owner, a good, caring one, not one who expects their drivers to drive a complete piece of un-maintained crap, takes a huge set of balls. I have a close friend back home who had only the best of equipment, 10 trucks, sparing no expense, maintaining them impeccably. And yet, they'd come back trashed, damaged, dings, and or dents...he finally gave up. Sold them all, and bought a bunch of dump trucks. He couldn't be happier. He wants me to drive for him, but driving completely is something I'd like to get out of for an occupation.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is amazing how many so called drivers have made it years in this industry, when they really can't drive as a professional should. To be a fleet owner, a good, caring one, not one who expects their drivers to drive a complete piece of un-maintained crap, takes a huge set of balls. I have a close friend back home who had only the best of equipment, 10 trucks, sparing no expense, maintaining them impeccably. And yet, they'd come back trashed, damaged, dings, and or dents...he finally gave up. Sold them all, and bought a bunch of dump trucks. He couldn't be happier. He wants me to drive for him, but driving completely is something I'd like to get out of for an occupation.

One has to be proactive in order to eliminate/minimize those types of issue. Regular photos/videos, inspections, you name it, identify those those types of issues. If nothing else, have a mechanic take photos of areas of concern if worried. Keep it simple.

Reactions: TeamPaul

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Our Government tries to tell a land lord who he must rent to, how long before they try and tell Fleet owners the same thing?