Driver interviews

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am wondering about the interview process that drivers go through.

Does one take a driving test in the truck they are going to be driving with the owner?

Does the owner ask you any questions about your past?

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
in my past experiences..the answers to your questions in the order you asked them

1. No..(wouldnt be a bad idea if possible tho)

2. I have always been asked questions and always ask questions about my prospect drivers.

J

jbutler

I am wondering about the interview process that drivers go through.

Does one take a driving test in the truck they are going to be driving with the owner?

Does the owner ask you any questions about your past?

When I am interviewing prospective drivers, I do not require them to take a drive test... although like stated below... it wouldn't be a bad idea.

The only questions I may ask about a persons past would pertain to them doing business with the company. Driving history, any DUI's, Accidents.... Not every interview is the same. I would have to say it is situational based on the application you have in your hand and the information they provided as part of the application process that you as the interviewer feels is relevant to the process.

If the person puts on their application that they were convicted of a Felony or other crime then I believe it is completely acceptable to inquire about those convictions.

To answer your question more directly.... If it's not on the application, I may ask general questions... like the ones stated above... but other than that... I will not try to dig into someones life story.

If they are Pre-Qualified by the Carrier in the first place, you can bet the Carrier has already done the digging and everything is clear. If they are a new driver, obviously you want to be able to weed out any problems before they are sent to the Carrier (ie, History of DUI's, too many traffic violations etc)

This will minimize the time wasted by you, the carrier and the applicant.

Jim

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I required my drivers to spent a couple weeks to a month on the road with me. That eliminated any misunderstandings about how things were done. It certainly shortened up the discussion process with the "experts" that figgured they didn't need some perusal.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
After drivers were pre qualified by sending their apps to the company I was leased to,If they passed,then before going to orientation,took then for drivers test.While doing test,asked questions to see how they might get along with dispatch,but before even filling out apps,found out their likes and dislikes.There were many that never saw an application

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
This thread brings up an interesting side of fleet owners hiring contractors in expediting .
Carriers contracting drivers have to maintain a driver file . Expediter carriers don't hire drivers . Fleet owners contract drivers but since they aren't carriers are fleet owners ever audited ? Who would the FMCSA check to see if driver files are maintained ?
What about drug testing ? Who pays for the testing and is responsible for meeting random testing requirements ?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Fleet owners contract drivers but since they aren't carriers are fleet owners ever audited ?

No, they are sub-contracting the drivers.

Who would the FMCSA check to see if driver files are maintained ?

The carrier, they are the one charged with that responsibility. The owner, who is contracted to the carrier provides the power unit, the driver is qualified through the carrier under the present law. If the carrier contracted to the owner to move their loads as a separate entity, then it would be that the fleet owner is a carrier separate from the carrier.

What about drug testing ? Who pays for the testing and is responsible for meeting random testing requirements ?

That depends on the either the benefits afforded to the driver's by the carrier or the negotiations between the owner and the driver. OR as part of the driver to maintain their qualifications, the driver foots the bill 100%.

I think I had too much espresso this morning.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I required my drivers to spent a couple weeks to a month on the road with me. That eliminated any misunderstandings about how things were done. It certainly shortened up the discussion process with the "experts" that figgured they didn't need some perusal.

In my first straight truck, I spent a month codriving with the owner, and was glad to do it. [And we both survived, and remained on good terms:D]
If it's possible, I highly recommend it.