Double Eagle closing

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I received a letter from Double Eagle body builders- their last day of production is Friday. Too bad- another victim of the prolonged slump...
May be some good bargains available....

"During over 35 years of building the best custom sleepers we could, we have seen many ups and downs in the trucking industry. We regretfully inform you that our time serving our customers is coming to a close. There are numerous reasons for this difficult decision, too many to explain. Our last day of production is Friday, August 6, 2010.

We have a limited amount of inventory on hand at this time, in the form of raw materials, new and used parts, some new and used sleepers, and office equipment (filing cabinets, copy machines, etc…). If you are interested in any of these materials or items, contact us at the email addresses below and we’ll see what we can do.

It’s been a pleasure serving you and the industry over all these years. We wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,
Ray S. Miller [email protected]"

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have not kept up. We know Bentz is gone and now Double Eagle has officially closed its doors (soon). I've heard rumors about the others but have not followed up. What aftermarket sleeper companies are left?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Bentz is still doing good stuff - Don Bentz has named his business Bolt [?!] and is located at 4532 Allen Martin Drive, Ft Wayne, In, phone 260 387 5779.
I call them Bentz-Bolt, to avoid confusion.

blacktruck

Seasoned Expediter
"During over 35 years of building the best custom sleepers we could, we have seen many ups and downs in the trucking industry. We regretfully inform you that our time serving our customers is coming to a close. There are numerous reasons for this difficult decision, too many to explain. Our last day of production is Friday, August 6, 2010.

We have a limited amount of inventory on hand at this time, in the form of raw materials, new and used parts, some new and used sleepers, and office equipment (filing cabinets, copy machines, etc…). If you are interested in any of these materials or items, contact us at the email addresses below and we’ll see what we can do.

It’s been a pleasure serving you and the industry over all these years. We wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,
Ray S. Miller [email protected]"

Truly too bad. Another icon of the trucking industry is going away. How many more significant nameplates will we lose? I hate to see this. They did build the sleeper that set the standard for all to follow. Wonder where the stimulus checks were for businesses like this when all of the "Bailout money" was being passed out to the insurance and car companies?
RIP Double Eagle
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know this is part of the business cycle, and it is part of this industry. Nothing seems to last, people come up with better products or better service and the old companies go under because they can't or won't change.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
You know this is part of the business cycle, and it is part of this industry. Nothing seems to last, people come up with better products or better service and the old companies go under because they can't or won't change.

You must believe in what we call....the "free market"?

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Perhaps now that these american sleeper manufacturers have been supplanted, the time is ripe for some well overdue asian varieties.... I hear they're a little small and cramped though.