DOT violation

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Anyone know the severity level of a loose or unsecured load violation?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
what got to be kidding, I mean you did have at least one load bar or strap in place didnt you. if so should be easy to beat

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
A quick scan of this document shows a number of different load securement violations. Point values can be between 1 and 10 depending on the violation.

Ty sir, a fellow driver had a load and it shifted due to him not securing it and I was just looking to see what if any violations he could have gotten if he had gotten stopped

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
why would anyone not secure their load?? Just asking for trouble and it sounds like he found it.....doesn't make sense not to secure a load.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Severity of an unsecured load.... Hmmm, let's think about this. How about "It could kill you" for starters. If the load is heavy enough, and shifts sharply enough, it could cause control problems up to and including roll-over in extreme cases.

It could hurt or kill somebody else. Especially in flat-bed or open-top trucks where the freight can get out and onto the road in front of other drivers. Not to mention that if the shifting freight causes you to lose control, it could result in a crash that hurts or kills other people.

For those of us driving vans-- loose freight may come forward in hard braking, hitting you in the back of your seat/maybe the back of your head. I think I can guarantee that's plenty of bad results even before the DOT officer writes the violation. So, how about securing that load?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A van used for business. Plumber, electrician, flower delivery, expediter, etc.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

We are NOT a commercial van as dictated by FMSCA....only when under Hazmat.....We've spoke of this many times....
NYC is another cliche....take your front seat out they will ticket you for being on parkways...because you are no longer a passenger van.
I suppose they could get you IF you were CT plated tho....

guido4475

Not a Member
Severity of an unsecured load.... Hmmm, let's think about this. How about "It could kill you" for starters. If the load is heavy enough, and shifts sharply enough, it could cause control problems up to and including roll-over in extreme cases.

It could hurt or kill somebody else. Especially in flat-bed or open-top trucks where the freight can get out and onto the road in front of other drivers. Not to mention that if the shifting freight causes you to lose control, it could result in a crash that hurts or kills other people.

For those of us driving vans-- loose freight may come forward in hard braking, hitting you in the back of your seat/maybe the back of your head. I think I can guarantee that's plenty of bad results even before the DOT officer writes the violation. So, how about securing that load?

It amazes me how many vans of different types I see that do not even have e-track in them, especially on the floor. A good way to turn the freight into a missile with the driver as a target. This kind of stupidity is what will get the vans regulated eventually.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
E track is not the end all.....many suitable ways to tie down freight... I do the cross " X " method with my cargo rings.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
The driver who did not secure his load was in a straight truck, and he did not secure 7 containers of auto parts, I got photos from him and there scary, that being said it scares me to think of how many drivers do this exact thing?

The driver in question has been driving for us for almost a year now. He came from a reputable carrier and has a good resume of transportation jobs, my guess is he was either A) in a hurry. B ) not paying attention or worse of all C) did not care about load securing. Either way its dangerous IMHO

I was able to get him to a cross dock where the load was redone, strapped in and secured by the cross dock guys, but the question I'm plagued with now is " if he let this load shift due to his negligence will he do this again? " and " should there be some kind of a policy put in place to show accountability for such things? "

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The driver who did not secure his load was in a straight truck, and he did not secure 7 containers of auto parts, I got photos from him and there scary, that being said it scares me to think of how many drivers do this exact thing?

The driver in question has been driving for us for almost a year now. He came from a reputable carrier and has a good resume of transportation jobs, my guess is he was either A) in a hurry. B ) not paying attention or worse of all C) did not care about load securing. Either way its dangerous IMHO

I was able to get him to a cross dock where the load was redone, strapped in and secured by the cross dock guys, but the question I'm plagued with now is " if he let this load shift due to his negligence will he do this again? " and " should there be some kind of a policy put in place to show accountability for such things? "

He made a mistake and probably learned a valuable lesson, with that being said he made a mistake and should now pay the consequences. I would have him text a picture of every load and how he secured for 30-90 days to help drive the point home.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yep...he erred in judgement....and you can not legislate against that...Policy against poor judgement?....don't need anymore silly rules or policies....just enforcement when caught.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

One real quick cure for this sort of thing is when you get to the receiver and either the receiver rejects the load outright, or marks your bill with "Damaged due to load shifting". You can bet the rent that will go up the pipeline, not too many companies can stand for that.

guido4475

Not a Member
We are NOT a commercial van as dictated by FMSCA....only when under Hazmat.....We've spoke of this many times....
NYC is another cliche....take your front seat out they will ticket you for being on parkways...because you are no longer a passenger van.
I suppose they could get you IF you were CT plated tho....

If you knew of this, than why did you ask in the first place?????