DOT Physical?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
are there any companies that dont require a CV driver to have one?thanks.

To my knowledge all companys with motor vechicles require some sort of physical exam. Are you adverse to taking one?:confused:

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
DOT Physicals are not required by carriers, they are governed under Federal DOT laws. All carriers require them to meet DOT legal requirements.

RDC

Expert Expediter
To my knowledge all companys with motor vechicles require some sort of physical exam. Are you adverse to taking one?:confused:

i have no prob. with taking 1 but its gonna take me a while to schedule one and i need to start driving asap....thanks for ur answer

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Call your local immediate care clinic, they can usually perform the physical. You may need your carrier to fax over the medical form that you need to have filled out. Not every Dr will do a DOT Physical. Also, sometimes you can find a DOT Physical place right at the truck stop and they will take you in right away. Do you have a CDL, usually (at least in Illinois) when you take your CDL Road Test they require you to show your medical card.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
DOT Physicals are not required by carriers, they are governed under Federal DOT laws. All carriers require them to meet DOT legal requirements.
That's all true, assuming the cargo van driver has a CDL. If the cargo van driver doesn't have a CDL, then the DOT does not require a physical, nor do they require the carrier to require it.

In cases of non-CDL cargo van drivers, most carriers will nonetheless require a physical for two main reasons, 1) because their insurance requires it and/or 2) for uniformity across the fleet.

If you have a CDL then the issue is moot, since you gotta have the medical examination card in order to get the CDL in the first place. In fact, as of Jan 30, 2012, we will no longer even have to carry the medical card with us. We give it to the State instead, at the time we get the CDL, and they will post the "certified" on the CDLIS driver record for the driver. The DOT and the carrier are then supposed to get that from the State.

Those with annual medical certificates, instead of two years, will have to make sure they give the current medical card to the State.

If there is no medical certification information on that driver’s CDLIS motor vehicle record defined at 49 CFR 384.105, a current medical examiner’s certificate issued prior to January 30, 2012, will be accepted until January 30, 2014 (so you can carry your current one on your person instead of giving it to the State, if you like). After January 30, 2014, a driver may use the date-stamped receipt (given to the driver by the State driver licensing agency) for up to 15 days after the date stamped on that receipt as proof of medical certification. After the 15 days, the proof can be found at the State in the CDLIS record for the driver.

Also, here's the medical form. Any doctor who does these things should have the form, but if not here 'tis.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i have no prob. with taking 1 but its gonna take me a while to schedule one and i need to start driving asap....thanks for ur answer

You can find many places that do dot physicals and have the form in the office. Many walk in places do them there is no scheduling involved just call around and find one. I think my last one took me all of an hour from the time I walked into the waiting room, no appt.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

Not sure where you are,
here we can get a DOT physical the same day and with no appointment.
Look for an occupational health clinic
the ones here are called Redimed.
Most of these clinics no appointment needed

batman217

Seasoned Expediter
You can find many places that do dot physicals and have the form in the office. Many walk in places do them there is no scheduling involved just call around and find one. I think my last one took me all of an hour from the time I walked into the waiting room, no appt.
Hi Xiggi, I need to get my physical examination current also. My regular Dr. has recently retired, I am in need of a new source for the exam. I live in Elwood, IN about 40 miles from New Castle. Is some where in New Castle where you are talking about having your physical exam done? Thanks for any info you can pass on.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi Xiggi, I need to get my physical examination current also. My regular Dr. has recently retired, I am in need of a new source for the exam. I live in Elwood, IN about 40 miles from New Castle. Is some where in New Castle where you are talking about having your physical exam done? Thanks for any info you can pass on.

Yea, they are open 7 days a week but you want to call and make sure the doctor will be in and check the hours. I know some Sundays at least he is not there. I think it was something like $55.00. I bet there are plenty of places in Muncie if you called around there.

Spiceland Pike med clinic
1685 South Spiceland Road
New Castle, IN 47362-8954
(765) 529-4090

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And do call around, if the price is too high - the first place I stopped for mine [a Doc-in-a-box in SC] wanted $200! :eek: I went a few miles further, and paid $65 instead.:)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Batman here are a couple in Munce. I know nothing about them just found it on Google.

Midwest Healthstrategies Occupational Health Clinic
3813 S Madison St
Muncie, IN 47302
765-751-3300

US HealthWorks-Muncie
3911 West Clara Lane
Muncie, IN 47304
(765) 288-8800

RDC

Expert Expediter
what does the physical actually consist of them doing?i know its req. but it seems like a waste of $$.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
what does the physical actually consist of them doing?i know its req. but it seems like a waste of $$.

Drug & Diabetes pee test, breathalyzer, blood pressure, vision/color blindness test, balance(standing on one foot), bending over touching feet(yeah right!!!) Hernia check(cough:eek:) When answering questionaire if you check that you have sleep apnea, then they will make you go do a sleep study and possibly require you to use a CPAP
I wouldn't go so far as to say lie on the questionaire, but some of the stuff is your business and not theirs....In my opinion.
I wouldn't say is a waste of money, it's nice to know if your staying healthy and I for one don't visit the doctor often. Once a year usually.