DOT Physical?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, I just assumed, you know what assume does LOL
Some employers require the drug pee test after an accident

A post crash drug screen is required if:

Any person required medical treatment.
Either vehicle required towing from the scene.
The commercial driver was cited.

I believe that is a DOT requirement, not an option for the carriers.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
All my physical required was that I have a heart beat and be able to see well enough to write a check. And that is pretty close to the truth. And all I want is a card anyway.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

A post crash drug screen is required if:

Any person required medical treatment.
Either vehicle required towing from the scene.
The commercial driver was cited.

I believe that is a DOT requirement, not an option for the carriers.

Some of it depends. The three main criteria for post-accident testing are:

Human Fatality

Bodily injury with immediate medical treatment away from scene

Disabling damage to any motor vehicle requiring tow away

In the first case, Human Fatality, a post-accident test must be performed by the carrier on the driver(s) whether a citation is issued or not.

In the second and third cases, a post-accident test is required if the driver was cited, but is not required if the driver was not cited.

So, for example, you could be driving through an intersection and someone else runs a red light, t-boning you, and one or more vehicles need to be towed. You would not be required to have a post-accident drug test unless you were cited for somehow causing the accident (which is unlikely). However, if the driver who t-boned you died in the accident, you would still be required to take a test.

The gory details and a nifty little table for all this can be found here.

RDC

Expert Expediter
All my physical required was that I have a heart beat and be able to see well enough to write a check. And that is pretty close to the truth. And all I want is a card anyway.

i took one years ago and thats al they did to me as well.I guess they may have changed. Hopefully no dropping of the drawers.

batman217

Seasoned Expediter
Xiggi,
Thank you very much for the great info. I certainly do appreciate it and I will check out those in Muncie before calling the one in new Castle. Thanks again, Alan

batman217

Seasoned Expediter
Yea, they are open 7 days a week but you want to call and make sure the doctor will be in and check the hours. I know some Sundays at least he is not there. I think it was something like $55.00. I bet there are plenty of places in Muncie if you called around there.

Spiceland Pike med clinic
1685 South Spiceland Road
New Castle, IN 47362-8954
(765) 529-4090

Xiggi,
Thank you very much for the great info. I certainly do appreciate it and I will check out those in Muncie before calling the one in new Castle. Thanks again, Alan

batman217

Seasoned Expediter
Batman here are a couple in Munce. I know nothing about them just found it on Google.

Midwest Healthstrategies Occupational Health Clinic
3813 S Madison St
Muncie, IN 47302
765-751-3300

US HealthWorks-Muncie
3911 West Clara Lane
Muncie, IN 47304
(765) 288-8800

Xiggi,
Thanks again, Alan

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Some of it depends. The three main criteria for post-accident testing are:

Human Fatality

Bodily injury with immediate medical treatment away from scene

Disabling damage to any motor vehicle requiring tow away

In the first case, Human Fatality, a post-accident test must be performed by the carrier on the driver(s) whether a citation is issued or not.

In the second and third cases, a post-accident test is required if the driver was cited, but is not required if the driver was not cited.

So, for example, you could be driving through an intersection and someone else runs a red light, t-boning you, and one or more vehicles need to be towed. You would not be required to have a post-accident drug test unless you were cited for somehow causing the accident (which is unlikely). However, if the driver who t-boned you died in the accident, you would still be required to take a test.

The gory details and a nifty little table for all this can be found here.

Thanks for the clarification - I was relying on memory, rather than looking it up.:eek:
When I had a minor fenderbender a few weeks ago, the night dispatcher to whom I reported the incident didn't seem to know even that much - we need to be aware of the legal requirements, just to protect ourselves.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the clarification - I was relying on memory, rather than looking it up.:eek:
When I had a minor fenderbender a few weeks ago, the night dispatcher to whom I reported the incident didn't seem to know even that much - we need to be aware of the legal requirements, just to protect ourselves.
I had always heard exactly what you posted, too. And I hadn't ever bothered to look it up. But it just so happens that I ran across that page the other day while looking for something else unrelated.

The need to know this stuff, to protect ourselves, absolutely. :)

batman217

Seasoned Expediter
Batman here are a couple in Munce. I know nothing about them just found it on Google.

Midwest Healthstrategies Occupational Health Clinic
3813 S Madison St
Muncie, IN 47302
765-751-3300

US HealthWorks-Muncie
3911 West Clara Lane
Muncie, IN 47304
(765) 288-8800

Xiggi,
Just want to pass this on incase anyone else in this area or passing thru needs to get current on their medical. I called both clinics above and was impressed with both right off the bat. I went with US HealthWorks only because it was closer to my home than Midwest Healthstrategies is. The cost at US HealtWorks is $50.00 and at Midwest Healthstrategies it is $60.00 US HealthWorks does not fax the completed form to the state but Midwest Healthstrategies will. I was very pleased with the level of professionalism from the staff and the Dr. plus I was in and out in about 50 minutes. Both clinics are walk in, no appointment necessary. Thanks for suggesting these two clinics. Batman217

Last edited:

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Drug & Diabetes pee test, Breathalyzer, blood pressure, vision/color blindness test, balance(standing on one foot), bending over touching feet(yeah right!!!) Hernia check(cough:eek:) When answering questionnaire if you check that you have sleep apnea, then they will make you go do a sleep study and possibly require you to use a CPAP
I wouldn't go so far as to say lie on the questionnaire, but some of the stuff is your business and not theirs....In my opinion.
I wouldn't say is a waste of money, it's nice to know if your staying healthy and I for one don't visit the doctor often. Once a year usually.

:(:( I was young once and never worried about going to see DR. Well today changed my way of thinking. I put off having blood work done for 2 years, then this last week went and had it done. Friday got a call about blood sugar being a 'bit' high so they want to retest.
WELL seems that I'm going to have to change my diet and start exercising. 2 hour glucose test was done and the nurse had to sit down when she saw the results. 1st blood stick was 140, then drink the sweet "sugar"water two hours later reading was 360.( I think it was supposed to be back near the 140 mark.

SO ladies & Gents for your own health and wellbeing please
as you get older remember we do need to see the Dr more often and get this type of testing done!!!

JBCarroll

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry but the DOT physical is a fact of life for all of us out here. The feds will be makeing a national registry of all doctors who do the physicals as well ( along with their sigs ) as to catch counterfiters. Do what ya have to do to pass it is all i can say. Besides good health is hard to beat.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Not sure i like the sound of that :eek::D
In one of the trucker mags, I read about a guy who had to get recertified because of a shoulder injury. The PA had him disrobe completely and stand in the middle of the room with his arms out, and then the PA starts examining toward the south. The driver says, "'Scuse me, but my shoulder is up here." The PA tells him if he wants his medical card, he'll do as he's told. Gotta wonder what's going on sometimes.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
My first DOT physical ever...the doctor was clearly a company doctor. He was going to shine that light into my ears and nose and wherever else, but forgot it in the other room. "Oh, well..." he said, and pencil-whipped it.

I don't know if they've been standardized since this, but I've had various things go on at various physicals. They're never the same. Some are more thorough, and others, no hernia check. Meanwhile, a guy who got his done in California said they run you through the wringer out there. Comparative strength tests on both arms and such.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
That's all true, assuming the cargo van driver has a CDL. If the cargo van driver doesn't have a CDL, then the DOT does not require a physical, nor do they require the carrier to require it.

No, wait a minute. So you've got your CDL, and I've always had my physical done by a carrier before starting work. But what if I used to drive a TT, so I had a physical then, then went into a cargo van, then the previous physical expires...

Since I'm not driving a compliant vehicle, I shouldn't even need to recertify. What if I stop driving commercial vehicles all together--of any sort--you're saying I still need a valid DOT physical?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I'm not driving a compliant vehicle, I shouldn't even need to recertify. What if I stop driving commercial vehicles all together--of any sort--you're saying I still need a valid DOT physical?

That's a change that's soon to come. You'll need to have a current physical to keep your CDL, even if you're not driving a truck.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I just wonder how some of these truck drivers get a passing grade on their physicals. I'm talking about the 600 pounders who can barely get in and out of the truck and into the truckstop. I would think their blood presure would be sky high:eek:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just wonder how some of these truck drivers get a passing grade on their physicals. I'm talking about the 600 pounders who can barely get in and out of the truck and into the truckstop. I would think their blood presure would be sky high:eek:

I often wonder that myself, some of those guys can't even stand at the fuel desk long enough to pay. They have to lean on the counter huffing and puffing waiting for their ticket.