Doomsday Preppers

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
Just watching the natgeo tv show Doomsday Preppers. While I don't share their level of enthusiasm, I am inspired to start thinking about some of these scenarios. A small farm and living off the land sounds really appealing.

Has anyone else seen the show and do you think these folks are bat droppings crazy or are they on to something?:eek:

A

Anomaly

My last spread in the states was 170 acres of Nevada high desert about fifteen miles out of Doyle California. We had everything set up on wind and solar and lived completely off the grid. In our particular case though, this was not so much a survivalist tactic as it was a lifestyle choice. We had a 1000 meter rifle range, could fly our gyrocopter without worrying about getting run over and there were many other benefits as well. You can find many great bargains in truly isolated locations through tax sales and other methods. If you are used to living in a truck for any length of time, you probably already know that you really can enjoy all of the modern conveniences on a 12 volt system and maybe a little propane thrown in for alternative heat and for your refrigeration. Most people do not associate it with home life but your stereo, television and even computers can easily run even without expensive setups. We built ours up over the course of time, buying pieces of property near and far, keeping some that it looked like we could eventually connect and selling others to get more investment cash to start over again. If you are situated, now certainly seems like a great time to buy!

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
My last spread in the states was 170 acres of Nevada high desert about fifteen miles out of Doyle California. We had everything set up on wind and solar and lived completely off the grid. In our particular case though, this was not so much a survivalist tactic as it was a lifestyle choice. We had a 1000 meter rifle range, could fly our gyrocopter without worrying about getting run over and there were many other benefits as well. You can find many great bargains in truly isolated locations through tax sales and other methods. If you are used to living in a truck for any length of time, you probably already know that you really can enjoy all of the modern conveniences on a 12 volt system and maybe a little propane thrown in for alternative heat and for your refrigeration. Most people do not associate it with home life but your stereo, television and even computers can easily run even without expensive setups. We built ours up over the course of time, buying pieces of property near and far, keeping some that it looked like we could eventually connect and selling others to get more investment cash to start over again. If you are situated, now certainly seems like a great time to buy!

Exactly what I'm talking about! 170 acres, a couple of dozen chickens, few head of cattle, some goats, maybe two small ponds for bluegill, catfish, etc... Canning all the vegetables we could grow and get our hands on. Of course we would need help with the wind and solar but it can't be that difficult.

On a good note I already have a good start on a small arms cache. However, in the event of my untimely demise by roaming bands of marauding, hungry maniacs my family is no where near trained properly.:)

A

Anomaly

I know it cannot be too hard to set up solar and wind ... cuz I done went and did it once ... so theoretically at least, it should not be too challenging. For hot water, I used flat black paint on carbon-fiber 55 gallon drums ... and generally had to mix the "cold" water from the silver tanks to shower. As for the solar and wind, we just had a bank of batteries on the side of the house much the same as it was on the rig I drove. The only thing we ever used an inverter for was when I ran my desktop or when my dad would turn on the weather reports on the television. I can send you all sorts of plans if you want, again, not because I necessarily believe in the whole survivalist scenario (though there does seem to be increasing merit to some aspects of their arguments) but because I really do enjoy the freedom of living out and away from everything.

I do not know if they are still available, but my Dad and I used to buy the 98 Mausers from Big 5 for about 90 bucks each and we would convert those to 7MM, 6MM mag, 30-06 and other sizes. We probably had a couple of hundred long rifles when we lost the land. I do not know about the survivalists, but investing in Precious Metals ((Shooting) Iron, Steel (Barrels), Lead (bullets) and Copper (jackets)) is never a bad idea. It is also a great way to spend some time tinkering when you have down time, can be a family thing if your family is so inclined and it makes a pretty good retirement investment as well. Anytime you can invest a couple of hundred in and pull three to five hundred out it is a good thing. If it did come down to survival, you can not eat gold but you can eat real well for the price of a bullet, and defend yourself and your family if it becomes necessary.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Has anyone else seen the show and do you think these folks are bat droppings crazy or are they on to something?:eek:
They're bat crap crazy. Living off the grid and being a survivalist aren't necessarily the same thing. I know a few people who live off the grid. I have an aunt in Tucson who is one of them. She and they are not bat crap crazy. Having a small farm and living off the land is not bat crap crazy. But those who prep for Doomsday, they're just bat crap crazy.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I think there a little extreme...but there sure is nothing wrong with being prepared...I watched and liked the show...makes you think....

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sounds like Honey Lake country. We had some friends near there years ago when we lived North of Reno. The cheapest land we have found is in South Missouri. Try Texas County. They have a Castle Law that gives you broad protection if you find it necessary to defend yourself. The land is reasonable and the climate is good enough to raise a very good garden. Also if you ever get North of the San Francisco Bay Area there is an entire community that is run on solar and propane. They give tours and you can get good ideas there as well as supplies if you need them.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I wanted to watch the show. Will have to watch it when I get home. I don't think anything is wrong with being prepared with canned goods extra ammo etc for natural disasters but alot of people get prepared for the end of the world zombie invasion nuclear holocaust etc seems crazy to me.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Benelli Super Nova 12gauge pump at Big 5 runs under $400.00 and makes a great home protection weapon. You can add an extension for 7 rounds and with a mix on 00 buck shot and slugs you can take care of your family in close quarters. Way too many choices in longer range weapons.

Dave Ramsey says instead of buying gold by lead. The people with the best weapons will own the gold.

Lastly, if you like the way the country is being run and the direction we are headed, you don't have to change what you are doing now. If you are worried and do not like where we are going, do what is best for you and your family. Don't worry if everyone thinks you are bat crazy, your responsibility is to take the best care of those you love. Maybe it's best to prepare what you can, a little at a time. Start with a garden in the back yard and can some veggies to make sure you like the experience.

A

Anomaly

Sounds like Honey Lake country. We had some friends near there years ago when we lived North of Reno. The cheapest land we have found is in South Missouri. Try Texas County. They have a Castle Law that gives you broad protection if you find it necessary to defend yourself. The land is reasonable and the climate is good enough to raise a very good garden. Also if you ever get North of the San Francisco Bay Area there is an entire community that is run on solar and propane. They give tours and you can get good ideas there as well as supplies if you need them.

Yup! And except for the time around the Burning Man festival, it was pretty quiet.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
This show caused me to think about different scenarios. In the event of a Nuclear Holocaust, I would not want to survive, and that issue is not addressed. Quality of life has to be in the equation. The biggest threat we face, in my opinion, is an EMP that knocks us back to an agrarian society. Should that happen, the remote farm and living off of the grid literally would be quite beneficial. I agree with Dave Ramsey on the Gold. If it is such a great buy, they wouldn't have to sell the idea that hard. I will remain well armed and should the matter arise, I will obtain my sustenance.
Scott

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you listened to some of the interviews in the show, there is a lot of common sense things that can be done to protect one's family just form everyday crap.

I don't think that a man made EMP will kill anyone, now stop the world, but something like a solar flare or other forces may.

As for gold, it is a misconception that it will have a value when things happen. As someone who seems to think that skills are going to be more important as a trading currentcy, followed by butter and bullets, gold is a heavy object to transport and can't be divided easiely.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think gold will be pretty worthless if things go kerflooey. It's only worth what somebody else will give you in exchange for it, and if the paper money we all use suddenly becomes totally worthless then what will you get in exchange for your gold? I suspect Greg is more than a little right here, our exchange will be based on what we can do for each other and not on gold when the stuff hits the fan.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you listened to some of the interviews in the show, there is a lot of common sense things that can be done to protect one's family just form everyday crap.

I don't think that a man made EMP will kill anyone, now stop the world, but something like a solar flare or other forces may.

As for gold, it is a misconception that it will have a value when things happen. As someone who seems to think that skills are going to be more important as a trading currentcy, followed by butter and bullets, gold is a heavy object to transport and can't be divided easiely.

A man made EMP attack could have the same effect that a natural one would have. The event it self would kill no one. The lack of water and food likely will. Depending on the severity of the attack it could take a long time to get things up and running.

Gold would make a pretty good shotgun pellet in a pinch. At least then it would be worth something.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
An EMP event is too frightful to contemplate. Society as we know it could dissolve pretty quickly. No electricity. No internet. No phones. Communication breakdown. Rumor and word-of-mouth replace fact. Roving bands of marauders. Panic. Disease. Martial law. That's just the first week.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A man made EMP attack could have the same effect that a natural one would have.
OK I understand that but here is the thing, how many explosive actions to trigger an EMP above the earth would it take to take out the entire earth compared to one burst of energy from the sun? Since 1962 we have known about the EMP problem and done nothing. Amazing.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK I understand that but here is the thing, how many explosive actions to trigger an EMP above the earth would it take to take out the entire earth compared to one burst of energy from the sun? Since 1962 we have known about the EMP problem and done nothing. Amazing.

Of course we are aware of the problem. We even had plans on how to USE it as a weapon, as did everyone else out there. EMP won't 'take out' the entire earth. It can take out everything that uses electricity that is not 'hardened' against it.

Of course the sun can, and has, caused EMP events. It will again. It has the ability to do it over a much wider area at once, but the results where it hits would be the same as a man made attack. Electrical devices will likely shut down.